User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will win the league?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arsenal

    0 0%
  • Chelsea

    1 1.01%
  • Liverpool

    25 25.25%
  • Manchester City

    70 70.71%
  • Manchester United

    1 1.01%
  • Tottenham

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 2.02%
Page 188 of 200 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 2998

Thread: Premier League 2018/19

  1. #2806
    Senior Member
    Jenks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,803
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless Mourinho has somehow been humbled by what happened at United and Chelsea (extremely unlikely) then I don't see a future in which this is not a disaster.

  2. #2807
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    18,561
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible appointment imo.

  3. #2808
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,980
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they have players that suit Jose's preferred style of play, could work out

  4. #2809
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    18,561
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I think they have players that suit Jose's preferred style of play, could work out
    Doubt it. Almost all Jose's sides were very good at absorbing pressure and hitting teams on the break. Tottenham can hit you on the break allright, but they can't defend. They leak goals all the time.

  5. #2810
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29,862
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never liked Mourinho, but this is pretty much his last shot. If he fails now he'll never get a top job again.

    That's why I believe it will work really well for two years before he walks away himself. If he can return to his 4-2-3-1, solidify their defence and hit them on the break like his peak Real Madrid did, Tottenham will be back in the top four and might snag a FA Cup or two.

    One very interesting point this time is that most of his former assistants have jobs elsewhere and not a part of his staff. So perhaps new people or other lower level older assistants in promoted roles with new ideas will do him good?
    Last edited by DonAK; 21st November 2019 at 06:55 PM.


  6. #2811
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,747
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defense is indeed the priority. They have braindead players that might benefit from a firmer hand. He regularly hid weaknesses of average defenders i.e. Arbeloa, Albiol, Samuel, Materazzi and he's very good at refocusing players with potential i.e. Pepe. Ramos evolution into a CB leader started with Mourinho. Dier could be his ace in the hole since he's also a fairly important role player for a very good England team. So could Alderweireld if he reconsiders and stays.
    Upfront he has his soldier material in Kane, 2 great selfless wingers in Son and Moura, good ball carriers in Alli and Lamela, at least 2 tanks in the middle of the park 1 of them with probably highest upside of all B2Bs anywhere.

    Many players fit the profile. Most work, as ever with any of his jobs, is at the back and a side task of trying to convince any of those thinking of their future to stay and try again. Give him 1 or 2 signings and they could definitely make a break for a big trophy.
    People are boring.

  7. #2812
    Senior Member
    Jenks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,803
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    Defense is indeed the priority. They have braindead players that might benefit from a firmer hand. He regularly hid weaknesses of average defenders i.e. Arbeloa, Albiol, Samuel, Materazzi and he's very good at refocusing players with potential i.e. Pepe. Ramos evolution into a CB leader started with Mourinho. Dier could be his ace in the hole since he's also a fairly important role player for a very good England team. So could Alderweireld if he reconsiders and stays.
    Upfront he has his soldier material in Kane, 2 great selfless wingers in Son and Moura, good ball carriers in Alli and Lamela, at least 2 tanks in the middle of the park 1 of them with probably highest upside of all B2Bs anywhere.

    Many players fit the profile. Most work, as ever with any of his jobs, is at the back and a side task of trying to convince any of those thinking of their future to stay and try again. Give him 1 or 2 signings and they could definitely make a break for a big trophy.
    Dier can't get into the England squad.

  8. #2813
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,747
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenks View Post
    Dier can't get into the England squad.
    Really? I confess I haven't checked in last 2 months since they always played shit teams since the Nations League ended, but I knew he was injured early on and he played loads until this autumn. Kinda banking on him getting back in, he's quite a decent anchor man.
    People are boring.

  9. #2814
    Senior Member
    BarcaOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,162
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mourinho at spurs will end in disaster. he couldnt get the players he needed at united. there is 0% chance he will at spurs, who are less wealthy and more stingy
    peptastic

  10. #2815
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,747
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaOG View Post
    mourinho at spurs will end in disaster. he couldnt get the players he needed at united. there is 0% chance he will at spurs, who are less wealthy and more stingy
    Were stingy. Past tense. Can't be certain they will not spend money. They know if they don't invest, their stars will just wind contracts down.

    Things change. They're wealthier now than 2-3 seasons ago.
    People are boring.

  11. #2816
    Senior Member
    FinBarcelonafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Turku
    Posts
    5,920
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaOG View Post
    mourinho at spurs will end in disaster. he couldnt get the players he needed at united. there is 0% chance he will at spurs, who are less wealthy and more stingy
    I think even Tottenham understands they need to start spending money or they will lose all their star players.

  12. #2817
    Senior Member
    Jenks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,803
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    Really? I confess I haven't checked in last 2 months since they always played shit teams since the Nations League ended, but I knew he was injured early on and he played loads until this autumn. Kinda banking on him getting back in, he's quite a decent anchor man.
    No, he's awful. Winks plays that role for Spurs. Dier hardly plays at all. The last time he did it was at CB and he was less than convincing.

    edit: you're right about Mourinho liking him though, he's straight back into the team.
    Last edited by Jenks; 23rd November 2019 at 12:29 PM.

  13. #2818
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,747
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First away win for Spurs since January. Immediate impact.

    2 pivots will be a mainstay for them. Either Dier or Winks will always play. Sissoko and Ndombele competing for the other spot. Alli is potentially going to be a huge player, he has that directness that characterised Mou's 10s like Sneijder or Ozil.
    People are boring.

  14. #2819
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    3,229
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    First away win for Spurs since January. Immediate impact.

    2 pivots will be a mainstay for them. Either Dier or Winks will always play. Sissoko and Ndombele competing for the other spot. Alli is potentially going to be a huge player, he has that directness that characterised Mou's 10s like Sneijder or Ozil.
    Mou's first few United games were 4-0, 4-0, 3-0, 4-1 and the like. This is simply the new manager effect and lasts about 5-10 games.

    Remember Ole's first 11 games? 10 wins..and then what's happened.

  15. #2820
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,747
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Mou's first few United games were 4-0, 4-0, 3-0, 4-1 and the like. This is simply the new manager effect and lasts about 5-10 games.

    Remember Ole's first 11 games? 10 wins..and then what's happened.
    Sure, didn't say it wasn't. But it is part of steering the team onto the right track. It all starts with little victories and overcoming mental barriers. They haven't won away in the league in 10 months. It's liberating.

    Quite a bit of work ahead defensively, their bus was crap from 60 minutes on so they need to fix that.

    Joe Cole said something quite correct about Alli - Mou talks about him like he did about Lampard. And Alli's ambition shone through too. I think he'll be very important going forward.
    Last edited by Wolfe; 23rd November 2019 at 02:45 PM.
    People are boring.