Premier League 2018/19

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

Jenks

Unless Mourinho has somehow been humbled by what happened at United and Chelsea (extremely unlikely) then I don't see a future in which this is not a disaster.

serghei

I think they have players that suit Jose's preferred style of play, could work out

Doubt it. Almost all Jose's sides were very good at absorbing pressure and hitting teams on the break. Tottenham can hit you on the break allright, but they can't defend. They leak goals all the time.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I've never liked Mourinho, but this is pretty much his last shot. If he fails now he'll never get a top job again.

That's why I believe it will work really well for two years before he walks away himself. If he can return to his 4-2-3-1, solidify their defence and hit them on the break like his peak Real Madrid did, Tottenham will be back in the top four and might snag a FA Cup or two.

One very interesting point this time is that most of his former assistants have jobs elsewhere and not a part of his staff. So perhaps new people or other lower level older assistants in promoted roles with new ideas will do him good?

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Defense is indeed the priority. They have braindead players that might benefit from a firmer hand. He regularly hid weaknesses of average defenders i.e. Arbeloa, Albiol, Samuel, Materazzi and he's very good at refocusing players with potential i.e. Pepe. Ramos evolution into a CB leader started with Mourinho. Dier could be his ace in the hole since he's also a fairly important role player for a very good England team. So could Alderweireld if he reconsiders and stays.
Upfront he has his soldier material in Kane, 2 great selfless wingers in Son and Moura, good ball carriers in Alli and Lamela, at least 2 tanks in the middle of the park 1 of them with probably highest upside of all B2Bs anywhere.

Many players fit the profile. Most work, as ever with any of his jobs, is at the back and a side task of trying to convince any of those thinking of their future to stay and try again. Give him 1 or 2 signings and they could definitely make a break for a big trophy.

Jenks

Defense is indeed the priority. They have braindead players that might benefit from a firmer hand. He regularly hid weaknesses of average defenders i.e. Arbeloa, Albiol, Samuel, Materazzi and he's very good at refocusing players with potential i.e. Pepe. Ramos evolution into a CB leader started with Mourinho. Dier could be his ace in the hole since he's also a fairly important role player for a very good England team. So could Alderweireld if he reconsiders and stays.
Upfront he has his soldier material in Kane, 2 great selfless wingers in Son and Moura, good ball carriers in Alli and Lamela, at least 2 tanks in the middle of the park 1 of them with probably highest upside of all B2Bs anywhere.

Many players fit the profile. Most work, as ever with any of his jobs, is at the back and a side task of trying to convince any of those thinking of their future to stay and try again. Give him 1 or 2 signings and they could definitely make a break for a big trophy.

Dier can't get into the England squad.

El Gato

Villarato!
Dier can't get into the England squad.

Really? I confess I haven't checked in last 2 months since they always played shit teams since the Nations League ended, but I knew he was injured early on and he played loads until this autumn. Kinda banking on him getting back in, he's quite a decent anchor man.

BarcaOG

Banned
mourinho at spurs will end in disaster. he couldnt get the players he needed at united. there is 0% chance he will at spurs, who are less wealthy and more stingy

El Gato

Villarato!
mourinho at spurs will end in disaster. he couldnt get the players he needed at united. there is 0% chance he will at spurs, who are less wealthy and more stingy

Were stingy. Past tense. Can't be certain they will not spend money. They know if they don't invest, their stars will just wind contracts down.

Things change. They're wealthier now than 2-3 seasons ago.

FinBarcelonafan

I think even Tottenham understands they need to start spending money or they will lose all their star players.

Jenks

Really? I confess I haven't checked in last 2 months since they always played shit teams since the Nations League ended, but I knew he was injured early on and he played loads until this autumn. Kinda banking on him getting back in, he's quite a decent anchor man.

No, he's awful. Winks plays that role for Spurs. Dier hardly plays at all. The last time he did it was at CB and he was less than convincing.

edit: you're right about Mourinho liking him though, he's straight back into the team.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
First away win for Spurs since January. Immediate impact.

2 pivots will be a mainstay for them. Either Dier or Winks will always play. Sissoko and Ndombele competing for the other spot. Alli is potentially going to be a huge player, he has that directness that characterised Mou's 10s like Sneijder or Ozil.

KingLeo10

First away win for Spurs since January. Immediate impact.

2 pivots will be a mainstay for them. Either Dier or Winks will always play. Sissoko and Ndombele competing for the other spot. Alli is potentially going to be a huge player, he has that directness that characterised Mou's 10s like Sneijder or Ozil.

Mou's first few United games were 4-0, 4-0, 3-0, 4-1 and the like. This is simply the new manager effect and lasts about 5-10 games.

Remember Ole's first 11 games? 10 wins..and then what's happened.

El Gato

Villarato!
Mou's first few United games were 4-0, 4-0, 3-0, 4-1 and the like. This is simply the new manager effect and lasts about 5-10 games.

Remember Ole's first 11 games? 10 wins..and then what's happened.

Sure, didn't say it wasn't. But it is part of steering the team onto the right track. It all starts with little victories and overcoming mental barriers. They haven't won away in the league in 10 months. It's liberating.

Quite a bit of work ahead defensively, their bus was crap from 60 minutes on so they need to fix that.

Joe Cole said something quite correct about Alli - Mou talks about him like he did about Lampard. And Alli's ambition shone through too. I think he'll be very important going forward.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans