Premier League 2018/19

Who will win the league?

• Total voters

Centauri B

I'm not bothered about those figures. You could also argue that because English teams weren't in the CL in he 50s when real won a lot they would also have more. I'm talking about recent past and present trends. The likes of Bayern, Real, Barca are very wealthy clubs who in the near/medium term will be strong in europe again.

I'm addressing the theory that Premier League teams are succeeding this year directly because of wealth which is not true. The premier league has been the wealthiest league for over 10 years but still Barca and Real make most revenue now. Man utd are the wealthiest english team in revenue yet are not a good team.

I feel like we are back in 2008 when the premier league was seen as unbeatable forever, when only 5 years later there was an all german final, then 2 all spanish finals in 14 and 16 and 5 years of absolute dominance.

These are cyclical trends.

English teams were in the EC in the '50s. They only declined to participate during the first season. Man United were the first to participate, eliminated Dortmund, then Bilbao (both by one goal margins) and then lost to Real Madrid in the semis.

Centauri B

Figures from the post above are undoubtedly skewed by English teams being banned from European competition for a long time during the most dominant period in English football. It's not absurd reasoning.

Define "a very long time" -> you mean, 5 years?

Football success is largely about money. Back then (by the late '80s and 90s) Italian teams were the richest.

Sterlingfan2000

Can someone tell me how much transfer Budget does lower la Liga teams have? I mean every premier league Clubs have atleast 100million transfer budget. Fullham got relegated with 120Million spend

ebc_99

Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal aren't very good, and Spurs aren't either even though they are in the final and all 4 could be weaker next year with some of their top players leaving to Europes big guns like Real Madrid. Liverpool and Man City are the only 2 elite teams and I think Barca, Real and Bayern will be on that level again next year. I remember when Bayern and Dortmund contested the 2013 final at Wembley and reading an article that suggested German football could dominate in the future, 12 months later it was an all Spanish final.

Things change year by year, I expect it will the Spanish clubs to be back with a vengeance, Bayern too.

I think the new TV deal in the UK & Ireland is down from £5.1B to £4.6B starting next season and the Spanish is up from £2.5B to £3.1B, so if anything Spanish clubs are closing the gap financially.

The biggest issue isn't money, it is that the best managers are in England, Barca and Real, in particular, have a weird fascination with hiring mediocre coaches so hopefully, Barca makes a good change this summer.

Last edited:

Sterlingfan2000

Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal aren't very good, and Spurs aren't either even though they are in the final and all 4 could be weaker next year with some of their top players leaving to Europes big guns like Real Madrid. Liverpool and Man City are the only 2 elite teams and I think Barca, Real and Bayern will be on that level again next year. I remember when Bayern and Dortmund contested the 2013 final at Wembley and reading an article that suggested German football could dominate in the future, 12 months later it was an all Spanish final.

Things change year by year, I expect it will the Spanish clubs to be back with a vengeance, Bayern too.

I think the new TV deal in the UK & Ireland is down from £5.1B to £4.6B starting next season and the Spanish is up from £2.5B to £3.1B, so if anything Spanish clubs are closing the gap financially.

That's the figures only in England. Overall it's 9 Billion if u count outside of England too. It's 3 season so overall

1 Season :

Premier League : 3Billion
Bundesliga and La Liga : 1,1 Billion

And the deals are rising because everyone around the World is watching premier league. Expect a new record Deal in future.

That's the reason Perez and Barto are pushing for Europe League, if nothing is done, gap will become wider

Centauri B

The biggest issue isn't money, it is that the best managers are in England, Barca and Real, in particular, have a weird fascination with hiring mediocre coaches so hopefully, Barca makes a good change this summer.

I knew those suggestions about the Bundesliga back then were laughable, since the German league did not have the money. The Prem does have it.

Do you have any source for the bold part?

Centauri B

Domestic TV revenue for the EPL has declined: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43052024

International TV revenue will increase by 20% to 30%. It's gonna be around 9B pounds for three years (both domestic & international)

La Liga has increased domestic TV rights to 1.14 to 1.3 billion euros, and will get around as much from international rights.

So, yes, ebc_99 is correct, the gap will narrow considerably. If I am not mistaken, for the period 19-22, the Prem will have around 3B per year, while LL will have around 2.5B per year.

https://www.france24.com/en/2018062...-2019-2022-tv-rights-114-billion-euros-season

Last edited:

Sterlingfan2000

Domestic TV revenue for the EPL has declined: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43052024

International TV revenue will increase by 20% to 30%. It's gonna be around 9B pounds for three years (both domestic & international)

La Liga has increased domestic TV rights to 1.14 to 1.3 billion euros, and will get around as much from international rights.

So, yes, ebc_99 is correct, the gap will narrow considerably. If I am not mistaken, for the period 19-22, the Prem will have around 3B per year, while LL will have around 2.5B per year.

https://www.france24.com/en/2018062...-2019-2022-tv-rights-114-billion-euros-season

Hmm according to the article 1,14 Billion + 1 Billion International if everything goes what they hope for = 2,14 Billion Euro max and not 2,5

England gets 3 Billion Pounds which is 3,5 Billion Euro

So Premier league = 3,5 Billion
LA Liga = 2,14 Billion Max ( I highly doubt the, get 1b from global deals, only Team who are watched are barca and Real)

Last edited:

Andrew M

There's no need to get upset about it. Our revenues are higher than all Premier League teams so if we look after ourselves we'll be fine.

Centauri B

Hmm according to the article 1,14 Billion + 1 Billion International if everything goes what they hope for = 2,14 Billion Euro max and not 2,5

England gets 3 Billion Pounds which is 3,5 Billion Euro

So Premier league = 3,5 Billion
LA Liga = 2,14 Billion Max ( I highly doubt the, get 1b from global deals, only Team who are watched are barca and Real)

No. The 1.14B figure is the bare minimum, it could rise to 1.3B. Overall, LL revenue has grown very rapidly in recent years (I was not aware of this to be honest) to the degree that it is almost 5/6ths ($5B to $6.2B) of the PL's (even before the new TV deal)

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/la-liga-revenue-profit-debt-sponsorship-transfer-broadcast

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

By far the best League in the world. They have everything. 6 top teams, insane money, good youth.

Who says Premier league is overrated needs to be banned

Maybe the PL has reclaimed the top spot right now but lets be real the last decade La Liga was the best league, look at the European cup winners (7/10 in the CL and 6/10 in the EL), the head-to-head with other leagues including the PL, top spot in both uefa and the ranking of the iffhs.

But everything goes in cycles and all the money poured into the PL the last years was bound to pay off at some point.

Home of Barca Fans