Champions League

FC B

god forbid we come across bayern again..it would be another annihilation

It's time for Madrid to get them now with VAR so what happened last times they met won't be possible again. Bayern would demolish them completely.

Birdy

Do you have the Madrid vs Shaktar? I assume it was very deserved win for Shaktar.. maybe I am wrong.

Funny how almost identical stats can end up with so different result.

There you go:
Ek4eE80X0AAZob4

Total sum is misleading here. Look at the size of each square. 2 clear-cut chances for Madrid, 4/5 for Shaktar.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's not misleading.

Shakhtar weren't the better side on the ball and spent most of the game defending their half slicing through the defense with ease and therefore getting fewer but better chances.

olivis

It's time for Madrid to get them now with VAR so what happened last times they met won't be possible again. Bayern would demolish them completely.

I thought about that the other day. Madrid stopped winning after the VAR introduction. I mean, just look how many times they got lucky with the ref. TWICE against Bayern (2017, 2018) and also against Juve (2017). And their win in 2016 was the easiest route to the final ever, since the introduction of the CL.

History will remember them being so much better than they actually were, I genuinely think both us and Bayern were much better than Real Madrid in each of their 3 CL winning years.

Birdy

It's not misleading.

Shakhtar weren't the better side on the ball and spent most of the game defending their half slicing through the defense with ease and therefore getting fewer but better chances.

That's the point. They shot less, but created better chances.
2-4 based on big chances means you fell for their game-plan.

El Gato

Villarato!
That's the point. They shot less, but created better chances.
2-4 based on big chances means you fell for their game-plan.

What game plan? They scored off horrendous individual errors. As per usual with any team facing Madrid sans-Ramos.

It's not misleading. Game was even and xG reflects that. Should have won by 1 goal and they did.

Birdy

What game plan? They scored off horrendous individual errors. As per usual with any team facing Madrid sans-Ramos.

It's not misleading. Game was even and xG reflects that. Should have won by 1 goal and they did.

I saw their game plan as trying to catch you with balls to their speedy forwards behind the defense whenever they could steal the ball.
And they probably succeeded if you consider they created 5 big chances (which would have been 7 with the two late ones, if not marginally off-side)

xG sum says little if you don't look at the size of the squares.
1.0 xg sum can be broken down for example to 10X0.1 xG shots (which means in most cases 0 goals)
or 2X0.5 xG shots (which means in most cases 2 goals)

Horatio

You're welcome

Didn?t Shaktar have the bigger chances. I could swear they put a player at least 4 times 1 on 1 with Courtois not counting the goals. Also Real?s second goal was horrendous error by defense.

El Gato

Villarato!
I saw their game plan as trying to catch you with balls to their speedy forwards behind the defense whenever they could steal the ball.
And they probably succeeded if you consider they created 5 big chances (which would have been 7 with the two late ones, if not marginally off-side)

xG sum says little if you don't look at the size of the squares.
1.0 xg sum can be broken down for example to 10X0.1 xG shots (which means in most cases 0 goals)
or 2X0.5 xG shots (which means in most cases 2 goals)

You'd attribute that to 'game plan' no matter what happened in a fixture against Real Madrid, because that's how it usually goes... They scored because we let them, not because they forced mistakes.
Naturally sum is a sum. There's no dispute there.
The dispute comes with calling the data misleading given we had a volume of chances, 2 or 3 of them (if you count unlucky Jović header) quite good and kept them in check for most of the game making the ultimate result pretty even with Shakhtar getting the benefit for being more clinical.

The ultimate sum shows what the match was really - Real conceding like idiots, banging against the wall erratically and fluffing a couple in attempt to even up the score.

Horatio

You're welcome
You'd attribute that to 'game plan' no matter what happened in a fixture against Real Madrid, because that's how it usually goes... They scored because we let them, not because they forced mistakes.
Naturally sum is a sum. There's no dispute there.
The dispute comes with calling the data misleading given we had a volume of chances, 2 or 3 of them (if you count unlucky Jović header) quite good and kept them in check for most of the game making the ultimate result pretty even with Shakhtar getting the benefit for being more clinical.

The ultimate sum shows what the match was really - Real conceding like idiots, banging against the wall erratically and fluffing a couple in attempt to even up the score.

Banging against the wall helped them in the past. But shaktar players had more height.

Morten

I thought about that the other day. Madrid stopped winning after the VAR introduction. I mean, just look how many times they got lucky with the ref. TWICE against Bayern (2017, 2018) and also against Juve (2017). And their win in 2016 was the easiest route to the final ever, since the introduction of the CL.

History will remember them being so much better than they actually were, I genuinely think both us and Bayern were much better than Real Madrid in each of their 3 CL winning years.

You "forgot" all the decisions Bayern had going their way, great.
VAR has nothing to do with us going out.

Home of Barca Fans