Champions League

Barcilliant

No they aren’t. That said, he doesn’t belong in the conversation yet.

I love how any manager that wins anywhere is being brought as being better than EV. Lol, come on guys. There are ~3-5 of them that are unarguably better 1 to 1, all are unavailable, 2-3 that would probably do roughly the same and a plethora of of those who’d be in over their heads. That’s the reality.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:D

Valverde is a terrible fucking manager. You just keep trolling. No tactics, lousy motivator, no personality, no player development, no philosophy, no in game management, copy and past substitutions. He would not make top five managers in Spain forget Europe.

Valverde was 90% to blame for the Roma debacle. The players were clearly stifled by his instructions and we paid the price. Probably Barca's worse Cl defeat ever even worse then the 94 mauling by Milan.

FC B

If managers are as important as most fans/pundits seem to think, then why nobody cares to sign Zidane? A manager who has "won" 3 CL's on the trot?

Zidanes LaLiga results are poor.

Zidane has been made to look great by astonishing luck and refereeing decisions for his team. Not that he's poor but not the kind of manager Klopp is for instance, he drove BVB into CL finals, a few years later he did the same with LFC, if this is not a text book example of how important managers are nothing is...

It's not only about results but also about how those teams play, how good they really are. Rm wasn't even the best team in Spain for the last three years...

Last edited:

Centauri B

No it isnt, at least Barca and RM dont go plundering their squad every other summer, unlike Bayern, who will pick up a few Dortmund players come summer, guaranteed.

In relative financial terms, Dortmund is at a much better position than Atletico is. This is just elementary mathematics.

All this hype about managers, is due to average person's need to explain away factors that are largely impersonal and complex (economic, demographic, contingent) and out of our control, and give them a human face (in this case, that of the manager) It is good old anthropomorphism: football edition.

BARCA PLANET

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the the kick of times for the CL 16. are the matches gonna kickoff at the same time or at different times? meaning, Barca and Lyon will pay at the same time as Liverpool and Bayern?

Vilarrubi

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the the kick of times for the CL 16. are the matches gonna kickoff at the same time or at different times? meaning, Barca and Lyon will pay at the same time as Liverpool and Bayern?

No-one knows yet unfortunately. The group stage games had early and a late kick offs so I’m guessing it will be the same hopefully.

KingLeo10

I only ever see Sacchi's Milan or Guardiola's Barca in the discussion of best club football teams of the modern era. 1950s RM and early 70s Ajax for earlier times. Where is Zidane's RM in this list? :lol: They were only dominant in the 2017 CL campaign. 16 and 18 were flukey as hell (PK misses, GK gifts, red cards etc etc).

Leo_Messi

I only ever see Sacchi's Milan or Guardiola's Barca in the discussion of best club football teams of the modern era. 1950s RM and early 70s Ajax for earlier times. Where is Zidane's RM in this list? :lol: They were only dominant in the 2017 CL campaign. 16 and 18 were flukey as hell (PK misses, GK gifts, red cards etc etc).

Not to say that they won jack shit domestically outside of the 2016-2017 season. CL is only 13 games (at most) during a season. 6 of those games (group stage) are irrelevant 99% of the time for all elite clubs. 4 times as many games are played in the CL and CdR during a season. I know that fans have become obsessed with the CL lately (even though the winner rarely is the best team in Europe, Zidane's RM is the perfect example of this outside of the 2016-17 season) but it is not what it is made out to be. I think that a league format would be 100 times more fair and would reflect much better on who really would be the best team in Europe. Let's say a CL consisting of 10 elite teams (an example) using a league format. A home game and an away game against each opponent. Equal and fair conditions. With VAR being implemented of course.

If that was the case we would have won at least half of such CL's in the past 15 years and truly proven (even more so) who has been the best performing club domestically (in the strongest league in the world moreover not walkovers like Italy of late, Germany and France) and on the European scene in that same time period.

I have never even heard a single RM fan claim that Zidane's RM was the best team ever. It's a hilarious statement. Zidane's RM is not even the best RM team in history. That "honor" belongs to Alfredo Di Stéfano's RM team. It's hard to take some of the arguments that BBZ8800 is using seriously with all due respect. There must be a limit to the madness. Reading some of his arguments, I would not be surprised to hear that he considers C. Ronaldo as the better player ( :lol: ) and talent than Messi.:shakeshead: Even though most RM fans acknowledge that Messi is the better player. Even more so after C. Ronaldo left for Turin. I was told that he rated Rafinha over Dembélé, that Coutinho would fit like a clove immediately, Valverde being a great coach as well and many other absurd claims. Each to his own and we all commit mistakes in terms of predictions but I am seeing a certain pattern being formed reading/hearing from other users about his opinions, predictions and claims.

Last edited:

Morten

Not to say that they won jack shit domestically outside of the 2016-2017 season. CL is only 13 games (at most) during a season. 6 of those games (group stage) are irrelevant 99% of the time for all elite clubs. 4 times as many games are played in the CL and CdR during a season. I know that fans have become obsessed with the CL lately (even though the winner rarely is the best team in Europe, Zidane's RM is the perfect example of this outside of the 2016-17 season) but it is not what it is made out to be. I think that a league format would be 100 times more fair and would reflect much better on who really would be the best team in Europe. Let's say a CL consisting of 10 elite teams (an example) using a league format. A home game and an away game against each opponent. Equal and fair conditions. With VAR being implemented of course.

If that was the case we would have won at least half of such CL's in the past 15 years and truly proven (even more so) who has been the best performing club domestically (in the strongest league in the world moreover not walkovers like Italy of late, Germany and France) and on the European scene in that same time period.

I never even heard a single RM fan claim that Zidane's RM was the best team ever. It's a hilarious statement. Zidane's RM is not even the best RM team in history. That "honor" belongs to Alfredo Di Stéfano's RM team. It's hard to take some of the arguments that BBZ8800 is using seriously with all due respect. There must be a limit to the madness. Reading some of his arguments, I would not be surprised to hear that he consider C. Ronaldo as the better player and talent than Messi.:shakeshead: Even though most RM fans acknowledge that Messi is the better player. Even more so after C. Ronaldo left for Turin. I was told that he rated Rafinha over Dembélé, that Coutinho would fit like a clove immediately, Valverde being a great coach as well and many other absurd claims. Each to his own.

Fuck the league format in the CL, seriously.
Did you ever find league play thrilling? Exciting? No? Because everything is usually determined rounds before the end, because thats what consistency does, it ruins the surprise factor, the "momentum" factor, and the luck factor.
Its not just about determining the "correct winner", its also about "do or die", you make one mistake in knockouts and you are out, it adds to the excitement, which is one of the reasons why CL is the most famous of the club tournaments.

As a RM fan, im not saying this to downplay league games, because i wish more than anything that we actually became a consistent domestic force again, but why cant we have a competition with knockouts, where there is only sudden death and the "luck factor" comes into play?

Besides, if CL became league play, who wants to see Barca, Juventus and the Bayerns of the world compete in who would be the best over 40 or something games?

Having said all that, lets bring VAR to the CL, to lessen the luck factor.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

I moved the discussion to the appropriate thread. The discussion about Pep should be moved to the Pep thread as well IMO. [MENTION=20286]El Flaco[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]Barcaman[/MENTION] Thanks in advance.
Fuck the league format in the CL, seriously.
Did you ever find league play thrilling? No? Because everything is usually determined rounds before the end, because thats what consistency does, it ruins the surprise factor, the "momentum" factor, and the luck factor.
Its not just about determining the "correct winner", its also about "do or die", you make one mistake in knockouts and you are out, it adds to the excitement, which is one of the reasons why CL is the most famous of the club tournaments.

As a RM fan, im not saying this to downplay league games, because i wish more than anything that we actually became a consistent domestic force again, but why cant we have a competition with knockouts, where there is only sudden death and the "luck factor" comes into play?

Besides, if CL became league play, who wants to see Barca, Juventus and the Bayerns of the world compete in who would be the best over 40 or something games?

I do. Much more than the CL as the CL is mostly down to luck, having a good day (if you have 1 bad day you are out even if you are vastly superior team than your opponent - see the Roma game last year and 100's of others in recent memory for reference), getting the right draws and referees at the right time etc. Not to mention that UEFA is a deeply corrupt entity.

I also don't think that the World Cup is the pinnacle of football either as claimed due to popular opinion. It was 40-50 years ago. Not any longer. According to simpletons, Messi is half of the player because he was a Higuaín miss away from winning the World Cup and having no Eder to save his day. In no other sport (tennis, basketball) is there so much luck and coincidence involved. That is why you play best of 7 games. Not best of 2 games as even the worst team can fluke 2 lucky wins in a row. When it rains while playing Tennis, the game is stopped. When there is water on a basketball field the game is immediately stopped and a mop is used to remove it. In football however you can play a CL-semifinal on a potato field (Vicente Calderón). That's a huge joke.

Half of the CL (group stages) is a complete and utter borefest. Half of the tournament.

Why is a knockout competition more "exciting"? Because there is more of the luck factor involved? Is that what it is about?

CL's fame is a rather new thing. It was not like this 30 year ago. In fact the UEFA Cup of old was a stronger tournament just 25 years ago as more elite clubs participated in it. The CL was only league champions. Since there was/are only a handful of good leagues, 2/3's of the teams back then were scrubs from obscure leagues which explains the absurd results if you study that tournament from the very beginning until the 1990's. Eventually the biggest teams with the most money and from the best leagues tended to win but there was not this gap in terms of level as there is today.

Winning the CL is nice (in particular as we can only win it when we are truly the best team in Europe, not like RM who can fluke it like seen so many times in history - 1998, 2000, 2002, 2016, 2018) but a lot of the hype is due to the marketing, the luck factor and it being the only competition where top clubs from different countries can play against each other. In reality it has been the same elite dominating (4-5 clubs) with the odd surprise each decade.

If people love the knockout games so much they should create a CL league format and a lesser important CL knockout format. A bit like a domestic league (with an equal playing field in the sense that everyone meets the same opponents home and away) and the CdR which is different.

Anyway this comment is not due to being bitter as I have witnessed 4 CL wins in 13 seasons and obviously my views won't change should we win this year which is a possibility. I just don't like the format as I don't think that it is remotely close to finding the truly best team in Europe in a given season. A league format would do a much better job of that hence why I prefer it. It is also much more fair and I prefer fair competition. Too much unfair competition and you end up like the Ligue 1 or Serie A or Bundesliga.

Since only elite clubs would be playing in the CL (not like today where 1/3 of the teams are scrub teams and a waste of time) in such a league format, home and away, the luck and "unfair factor" would be far less. Not sure why the excitement would be less though. It would be pure top games of the highest quality. What is not to like? Or do people prefer watching City destroy Schalke or Real destroy Ajax or Lyon being destroyed by us?

I also forgot to mention the speculation that knockout games create and most teams play destructive/passive football as a consequence. How many times have I seen football games (in the CL) where the opposition team is buried in their own half 80% of the time. That's not exciting football. Similar with the many borefest games in the World Cup and EURO's. Did anyone enjoy Portugal's win in 2016? Not many other than Portuguese people and C. Ronaldo fanboys, I imagine.

Upsets are nice and all. I like them to from time to time. Unpredictability is what makes football what it is. It's a rare trade for such a popular sport. However the Champions League (supposed elite competition) should reflect this elite by being turned into a league format where only elite clubs are participating. Where elite playing conditions (the state of the pitch) reflects the elite nature of the competition. So should the referees. That VAR was not implemented ages ago (despite the technology being available) is a huge scandal quite frankly. Every stadium should have the exact same conditions. One team should not be playing on a potato field while another escapes that "excitement".
A Super League in other words or Europe's version of the NBA. I have no doubt that it will one day occur and then people will be thinking why the current CL format lasted this long and why people wasted 2/3 of their time during the tournament watching scrubs play against non-scrubs.

Football needs urgent reforms. CL is one of the tournaments that is badly in need of it as I see it. Each to his own though but I have argued why I have the views that I have and then people can make up their own minds. I am not writing this to convince anybody but I know that millions of football fans agree with my views.

Home of Barca Fans