Champions League

I think the bolded part is the key here. Liverpool are a great team even without anyone stepping up immensely or "being on it". Barcelona are the exact opposite of that right now. City I guess somewhere in between. And that is why our consistency is so bad compared to Liverpool. If we could guarantee our stars being on fire and theirs as well, we would win against them 7/10 but it's not the case these days.

Well so are City or they would have never have won the domestic treble last season (and the league the season before), piping European Champions Liverpool who only lost once in the league.

What's cost City and in how they look 'human' is Laporte's injury and injuries to Stones and Otamendi. They've got cover in every position other than CB's, losing Sane doesn't make much difference, if they lost Aguero it doesn't make much difference, even KDB they can cope. Losing Laporte though they look vulnerable due to not replacing Kompany in the summer.

It is their own fault not buying cover, but with January window opening in 2 weeks and Laporte on his way back, you get the feeling the City of last season will be back soon enough and that is the City Real Madrid are going to face and i don't give them much of a chance, but even if they faced City tomorrow, i still wouldn't give them much of a chance.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

> Says we can't draw statistical conclusions based on 2 CL games.

> Draws a conclusion of Barca having a 33% chance to win cup games based on 7 CDR games.

All this while there's a 30 game LL sample in the same period to also assess from. But sure, go ahead and label yourself as a cup team despite having 33 LL. The argument that RM somehow plays so differently in LL (whether you chalk it up to disinterest or whatever) that nothing can be gleaned from the lopsided H2H there is just another coping mechanism for your inability to win leagues over the last couple of decades.

Would explain why you only have 1 European double in the last 50 years. Harder to win/fluke two major competitions in the same year.

serghei

No, I did not. I replied specifically to the point made by Queenie implying that due the Liga results indicate Barcelona would have the same success against Madrid in CL and both of you drawing a CL Clasico trend from 1 win and 1 draw. Which is daft by any statistical standards. Then the point was made that Barca "bully Madrid in all competitions". Which is simply not correct. Sorry if it hurts your feelings lads and that you didn't meet us for more cup games in which you have 33% chance of winning based on the record in that time frame.

It's a sensible and probable connection to make. If we beat Madrid so many times in La Liga we should be favorites against them in CL, and would probably beat them there too more often than not.

What is not a very good argument is thinking this match-up advantage Barcelona has over Madrid, and which is shown every season almost, would somehow disappear in CL, just because of the nature of the competition. Even though you have no proof of that, and the only time El Clasico happened in CL, Messi and Barcelona won.

KingLeo10

Here's the cherry on top:

In 13/14 and 16/17 you hosted us both times and a win in both would have given you the Liga in 13/14 and would have sealed it up in 16/17 rather than it going to the last match day and you winning by 1 point. You even welcomed us with a damn parade. All of Madrid was waiting for that W.

Messi dropped a hat trick in the 4-3 game and dropped 2 goals (and a walk off winner) in the 3-2 game.

[youtube]wQZQADpna9Q[/youtube]

Look at the reactions of Carvajal, Kroos, Marcelo, and CR7.

So much for Barca not being clutch v Madrid.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
It's a sensible and probable connection to make. If we beat Madrid so many times in La Liga we should be favorites against them in CL, and would probably beat them there too more often than not.

It would be sensible. If the individual game result in both competitions had the same consequences and hence the same stakes, allowing comparison of factors which influence the prediction of results, then maybe it would be sensible. But it doesn't.

I didn't say the advantage disappears in the cup games. Never stated it. You lot on the other hand are in the camp where the nature of competition is a negligible factor. Look in the mirror.

But sure, go ahead and label yourself as a cup team despite having 33 LL. The argument that RM somehow plays so differently in LL (whether you chalk it up to disinterest or whatever) that nothing can be gleaned from the lopsided H2H there is just another coping mechanism for your inability to win leagues over the last couple of decades.

Of course Madrid do play and approach games differently in La Liga. Just as you play differently in the CL.

Didn't say nothing can be gleaned from it. Nor did I 'chalk it up' to anything. It is merely absolutely clear Madrid and Barcelona value competitions differently.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
CL is back tonight!

Atletico - Liverpool
Dortmund - PSG

Probably the matchday with the best games. Hard to choose which one to watch.
Dortmund vs PSG will probably be a goals galore. At the same time I'm interested to see what Liverpool will look like against Atlético, it's one of those matchups you rarely see. Last time they played was 10 years ago.

FinBarcelonafan

CL is back tonight!

Atletico - Liverpool
Dortmund - PSG

Dortmund vs PSG will probably be a goals galore. At the same time I'm interested to see what Liverpool will look like against Atlético, it's one of those matchups you rarely see. Last time they played was 10 years ago.

You have to watch both obv.

Newcomer

CL is back tonight!

Atletico - Liverpool
Dortmund - PSG

Going to watch Atletico-Liverpool. No stress. (I wish)

Vilarrubi

CL is back tonight!

Atletico - Liverpool
Dortmund - PSG

Fuckin hell. Didn’t realise it was tonight thought it was a couple weeks away :cheers:

Home of Barca Fans