Champions League

Alik

Football is slowly selling its soul..

VAR and now wanting to 'ensure' the CL is more closed to the elite is taking the fun and randomness out of football.

VAR is awesome. It should have been implemented years ago in the CL and La Liga.

Andresito

Staff member
What do you think about that rumoured Champions League change ?

Proposed changes under discussion:

A promotion and relegation system that would replace the current qualifying structure ensuring a more closed structure where the biggest and richest clubs are always involved
Only four of 32 teams relegated out of the competition ever year
Matches being moved from midweek to the weekend
More matches for all teams (previously, a minimum of 14 were proposed

I think it is garbage. When teams are not fighting anymore to qualify, it loses the essence of the sport to become pure entertainment.

Never gonna happen thankfully.

Givenchy

VAR is awesome. It should have been implemented years ago in the CL and La Liga.

I disagree with the current VAR though, it would be great if it was implemented better.

look at United vs Wolves for example the other day. ref gave United player a red card, decision went to VAR and the red card was turned to a yellow card - the time wasted by VAR was added to the end of the game + breaks the current flow of the match - United ended up scoring in that added time to make it 2-1. sure Wolves won in the end but thats a flaw imo.

Newcomer

Never gonna happen thankfully.

How can you be so sure ?

Lot of talks recently about this type of shenaningans going behind the scenes. Also, it is consistent with the recent reforms that gave the big leagues more guaranteed spots in CL and the cash prize for being "historical" aka 10 year-coefficient + trophies won. This cash prize shouldn't exist if UEFA wanted a "fairer" competition since clubs get rewarded already the year they won with more money. Why do they have to get more money during 10 year than other clubs for doing nothing at the current time ?

Coincidently, all the talks with those supposed reforms are to allow that group of clubs (32 here) more income and safely (only 4 relegation). This is not right at all.

Messigician

How can you be so sure ?

Lot of talks recently about this type of shenaningans going behind the scenes. Also, it is consistent with the recent reforms that gave the big leagues more guaranteed spots in CL and the cash prize for being "historical" aka 10 year-coefficient + trophies won. This cash prize shouldn't exist if UEFA wanted a "fairer" competition since clubs get rewarded already the year they won with more money. Why do they have to get more money during 10 year than other clubs for doing nothing at the current time ?

Coincidently, all the talks with those supposed reforms are to allow that group of clubs (32 here) more income and safely (only 4 relegation). This is not right at all.

The people won't stand for it

Chainsaw

Killahead

I agree. Had it been implemented before we had a more deserving team and player win the CL and Bdor. Unless a certain club doesn't buy VAR as well it should be there for many more years until a better solution is found to avoid refereeing mistakes.

Newcomer

[tw]1108498916973137920[/tw]

Seems like la COPE talked about that rumoured new C1 as well.

Really disgusting if it goes through. Just an example : Napoli has been the second best team in Italy the past 5 years but the 4 Italian members that got their places guaranteed are Juve, Roma and Milan clubs. Milan AC and Inter are garbage in recent years compared to Napoli but due to their "glorious past", they get privileges. Why is the sporting merit not rewarded but the "historical" side is weighing so much in comparison ? ECA is truly working for a cartel.

This is exactly what is going wrong. ECA has too much power on UEFA.

FinBarcelonafan

[tw]1108498916973137920[/tw]

Seems like la COPE talked about that rumoured new C1 as well.

Really disgusting if it goes through. Just an example : Napoli has been the second best team in Italy the past 5 years but the 4 Italian members that got their places guaranteed are Juve, Roma and Milan clubs. Milan AC and Inter are garbage in recent years compared to Napoli but due to their "glorious past", they get privileges. Why is the sporting merit not rewarded but the "historical" side is weighing so much in comparison ? ECA is truly working for a cartel.

This is exactly what is going wrong. ECA has too much power on UEFA.

These teams bring the most spectators and money into the league.

Slevinn

He is just channeling his inner Espanyolness to jinx us. ;)

He spent the last several days in Barcelona by the way, having watched both our home game against Lyon and Espanyol's game against Sevilla in person.

Spurs had some kind of training camp in Barcelona that week.

Newcomer

These teams bring the most spectators and money into the league.

I'm not oblivious to the fact those clubs are the most popular.
However, this should have nothing to do with getting guaranteed spot in top european competition.
The Milan clubs are well known but were not able to qualify regularly with their own sporting merits to the Champions League. But somehow, because they bring spectators, they deserve it more than teams that have done better on the field (where football is actually played)?
This is all wrong.

Givenchy

I'm not oblivious to the fact those clubs are the most popular.
However, this should have nothing to do with getting guaranteed spot in top european competition.
The Milan clubs are well known but were not able to qualify regularly with their own sporting merits to the Champions League. But somehow, because they bring spectators, they deserve it more than teams that have done better on the field (where football is actually played)?
This is all wrong.

exactly this.. whats the point in smaller clubs even trying anymore to become a bigger club if all of footballs elite is already decided?

sad to say but this is the Americanization of football, we've seen it with the stats, now VAR and likely a super league in the future (some games played in the US aswell probably)

last year i heard something from the football leaks about Bayern being strongly behind this super league idea - no wonder as their league is a mickey mouse fun house where they pilfer all the talent and bail Dortmund (their only competitor) out of bankruptcy

don't take this the wrong way but im suprised as a PSG fan you aren't behind this aswell as ligue 1 (while still growing) isn't exactly competitive right now and a super league would ensure PSG are playing top opposition every week

vlad

if i got it right, this "super legaue" would take place instead of national legaue? In that case, wow, we will have derbis every weekend, but after month, or two, its gonna get boring with time, fans would get enough of "clash of titans" every weekend, who would pay for this? where is fun in that? On the bright side, im gonna totaly stop watching football and spend more time with kids.

Newcomer

if i got it right, this "super legaue" would take place instead of national legaue? In that case, wow, we will have derbis every weekend, but after month, or two, its gonna get boring with time, fans would get enough of "clash of titans" every weekend, who would pay for this? where is fun in that? On the bright side, im gonna totaly stop watching football and spend more time with kids.

At the moment, they are saying it will be the new Champions League and that it will be played in week-end while national league will be played mid-week.

But, as time goes on, i can totally see them trying to push it further ans create their own league.

At Givenchy: well, i'm a PSG fan but i'm french and PSG is a french club. So i want to see my club win as many trophies possible in France (and see the other clubs fans cry and hâte us more than before haha).

Also, a big part of football is the supporters.
With the take over, there has been a gentrification of the fans in the stadium, as it happened in big clubs around the world. However, what is the point in a french club if french people can't go and enjoy the team and players ?

As much as they hate us, people are going to stadium when they face PSG and PSG fans away can attend. Now, imagine a superleague that would replace the national league : it would be a nightmare for away fans and it wouldn't benefit France and his league at all.

The worrying part is several clubs, including PSG, post on their social media a message saying they are proud of being in ECA, just when this news was out. I hope it is a coïncidence.

The problem with the French League is funny because it has nothing to do with actual football deficiency (as they produce tons and tons of good quality players) but business and money issue. Thus, the work should be in that direction and help clubs getting more money. As much as people hate PSG for making Ligue 1 an one horse league (and i agree bat that exceptional Monaco team but it is the same in Italy and Germany where they win everything year), the economics are getting better due to their star factor.
The truth is without PSG, people wouldn't look at Ligue 1 either.There would be more suspense but ultimately, it would just be some average clubs fighting each other. I doubt a lot of people (not being from the country itself or from former colonies) watch a lot of game of Portugal league and lower leagues either. And with less viewers, you get shit TV deals, shit sponsoring deals and with FFP, you can't even compete and have to accept to see your good players leave as soon as they show some promising stuff. We can see the trend with big clubs buying players a lot younger than before.

My wish is to see the french league as it was in the 90's. We were not the best clubs in Europe but we were always doing very good runs with different clubs. The league was competitive with several winners and the quality of players was good.

However, with globalization, i fear it will never happen. The best clubs are the most popular and, as more popular, they get even richer and richer to stay at the best. And within France, they are not trying to get better either.
Example : Aulas, the Lyon president. When his club was the best and the richest, he was saying that we should promote elitism in french football and not follow the tyranny of downwards harmonisation to cater for the more modest clubs. Now that PSG is by far the richest club, he can't help but crying of how it is unfair and we should relocate some of this money to other clubs. Yeah, he even dare to ask PSG money to be shared with other clubs. And then, since he has built a great network over the time in french football institution, he said they will be working to create a french FFP to help regulate. He talked about PSG but he didn't specify what they could use to shackle us but there are discussed rules that would fuck over Monaco, Lille and Marseille business plan (coincidently they are Lyon biggest rivals for Champions League qualification). For example, a club wouldn't be able to spend money related to players sale. I guess they would pass that rule as preventing clubs to gamble on player value like speculation and work only within the non speculative budget they have. Since Monaco has no income from fan attendance, selling jerseys and marketing/sponsoring, they rely on player trading. Lille as started to do the same. Those clubs would be really fucked and so would the overall quality of Ligue 1. However Aulas doesn't care because he wants his club to win, even if that means everything has to go downwards.
Just yesterday, there was an article showing that PSG pays more patronal charges than all la Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga clubs together. Even Dijon pays more than Real Madrid. Then, you add french DNCG that would prevent club from going into "debt" and you understand why french clubs couldn't compete and even keep hold on their players. And now, they want to create a french FFP that doesn't take into account players sale into the budget ? I think they are mad. Yeah, the french clubs would be the best ran clubs economically speaking with no debt and best financial sheets at the end of the year but they would be nowhere in terms of actual football.

FC B

Part of me wants Porto just to see Vidal crunching into Pepe .. hopefully before Pepe gets hold of Messi .

I want Porto (provided Barca goes past United) just for avoiding Klopp's Liverpool, a double which will host it's second leg away at Anfield, personally whould've prefered a Juve clash in the semis since Liverpool seems to me like the toughest remaining opponent for a double leg encounter...

Home of Barca Fans