User Tag List

Page 1 of 280 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 4195

Thread: Champions League 2018/19

  1. #1
    Moderator
    El Flaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    11,972
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Champions League 2018/19


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    FCBfan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7,859
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooooh. A shiny new topic. Thanks, @El Flaco.

    Hopefully this one will end with joy.

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FCBfan22 View Post
    Oooooh. A shiny new topic. Thanks, @El Flaco.

    Hopefully this one will end with joy.
    Ditto kiddo. End with joy for us in Madrid. Literally.

  4. #4
    Barcaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Posts
    30,178
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinamo to defeat Astana and Young Boys and then be drawn with Barcelona.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    LeeRomeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    1,177
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predict us winning treble as it happened both times after Messi did not win WC previous summer. He will be hungry and motivated especially in CL.
    Think we have now have critical mass of new top talented players, who are yet to win the competition to compensate for those who have "won it all" to keep us fresh until end. Effect and desire we will get from Coutinho/Dembele/Malcom/Vidal/Semedo/Arthur/Umtiti will surpass the passiveness of Busi/Pique/Suarez/Alba/Messi in final stages.

  6. #6
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,135
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a picture of complete sadness to see a champion of Netherlands knocked down to qualifying berths... I hate the debate of Champions League not being for the actual champions, because it's a flawed argument, but this top4 from big 4 leagues is fucking bullshit TBH. They need to reformat this, especially when they introduce VAR in European competitions.
    People are boring.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    RMU ReBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    God's own country
    Posts
    2,663
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    It's a picture of complete sadness to see a champion of Netherlands knocked down to qualifying berths... I hate the debate of Champions League not being for the actual champions, because it's a flawed argument, but this top4 from big 4 leagues is fucking bullshit TBH. They need to reformat this, especially when they introduce VAR in European competitions.
    Then what should be the criteria for qualification ?
    ~ PRINCE OF PRAGMATISM ~

  8. #8
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,135
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMU ReBorn View Post
    Then what should be the criteria for qualification ?
    A balanced algorithm that doesn't blatantly favour the leagues of countries with most super-teams? Do not know what was wrong with England, Spain, Italy and Germany having 3 guaranteed spots + 1 qualifier. Why force a league that keeps producing esteemed talent to have to fight for their own spot? There has to be some sanity here. "Grass is greener in England (et al)" approach will only lead to the formation of a Super League. I don't see how it is fair to pretty much relegate former European mainstays to the role of teams that produce talent for the Super League level. We all know things are the way they are because England got good through combination of investment luck and good marketing. Ain't no way somebody will come and inject money into a team like Ajax who pioneered youth development. With this format none of the developing nations will be able to even sniff relative success and getting to 1/8s or 1/4s.
    People are boring.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    soul24rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,102
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    I agree with every point this video made and I hope EV is thinking of these points.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    RMU ReBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    God's own country
    Posts
    2,663
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    A balanced algorithm that doesn't blatantly favour the leagues of countries with most super-teams? Do not know what was wrong with England, Spain, Italy and Germany having 3 guaranteed spots + 1 qualifier. Why force a league that keeps producing esteemed talent to have to fight for their own spot? There has to be some sanity here. "Grass is greener in England (et al)" approach will only lead to the formation of a Super League. I don't see how it is fair to pretty much relegate former European mainstays to the role of teams that produce talent for the Super League level. We all know things are the way they are because England got good through combination of investment luck and good marketing. Ain't no way somebody will come and inject money into a team like Ajax who pioneered youth development. With this format none of the developing nations will be able to even sniff relative success and getting to 1/8s or 1/4s.
    I get your point, but popularity is also a factor . Ajax vs some not so popular club in a Cl tie won't break TRP rating charts, ticket sales etc . CL being Uefa's showpiece event they need big guns from popular league facing each other over Ajax or some other clubs that are breeding ground for youth
    ~ PRINCE OF PRAGMATISM ~

  11. #11
    6racies Xavi
    messi2140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4,126
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    It's a picture of complete sadness to see a champion of Netherlands knocked down to qualifying berths... I hate the debate of Champions League not being for the actual champions, because it's a flawed argument, but this top4 from big 4 leagues is fucking bullshit TBH. They need to reformat this, especially when they introduce VAR in European competitions.
    PSV won the eredivisie , Ajax came second.

  12. #12
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,135
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by messi2140 View Post
    PSV won the eredivisie , Ajax came second.
    I know. Hence the original post.
    People are boring.

  13. #13
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeRomeno View Post
    I predict us winning treble as it happened both times after Messi did not win WC previous summer. He will be hungry and motivated especially in CL.
    Think we have now have critical mass of new top talented players, who are yet to win the competition to compensate for those who have "won it all" to keep us fresh until end. Effect and desire we will get from Coutinho/Dembele/Malcom/Vidal/Semedo/Arthur/Umtiti will surpass the passiveness of Busi/Pique/Suarez/Alba/Messi in final stages.
    Agreed that we may very well win the Treble (or the European Double, at the very least). Every time we've won the Champions League we've always won the league title too.

    Only one of the Trebles (isn't it amazing that we're even able to say this in the plural? Madrid hasn't ever come anywhere near a whiff of one) was after a World Cup (the 2015). The first one was in 2009.

    That Barcelona 2009 team, incidentally, played the Most Beautiful Football ANYONE had ever seen. Of this there can be no doubt.

    Madrid was able to win successive Champions Leagues because they PRIORITIZED the competition, not being able to compete with us domestically. That was the only thing they could do to salvage their campaign last season and years prior.

    Just going by head-to-head results domestically in El Clasico, we would have overwhelmed Madrid in the Champions League had we faced each other. Even in a one-off game. The gulf in actual quality between us and our eternal rivals is vast.

    I'm not saying that winning the Champions League in 2018-2019 is a forgone conclusion but you can be sure that Messi and Barca will be extra motivated to win it this season.

    Now everyone and Madristas will see just what it's like when we prioritize a particular competition. The only team that can beat us is ourselves. A cliche but it's true.

    "We cannot go one more year without winning the Champions League".

    Last edited by BarcelonaBiondi; 7th August 2018 at 12:25 AM.

  14. #14
    Improvin' Perfection!!
    Aryagorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    It's a picture of complete sadness to see a champion of Netherlands knocked down to qualifying berths... I hate the debate of Champions League not being for the actual champions, because it's a flawed argument, but this top4 from big 4 leagues is fucking bullshit TBH. They need to reformat this, especially when they introduce VAR in European competitions.
    You would have won only only 2 of the last 4 CL - Always easy to suggest changes when you are on the other side of the river

  15. #15
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope we get to include the 2018-2019 side in this debate!

    Then and Now: Which treble-winning Barcelona team was better?

    An in-depth examination of the two (to date) Treble winning sides of 2009 and 2015.

    Incidentally Eto'o was the first and to date only player to win two Trebles in a row, 2009 with us and the next year with Internazionale.

    https://www.squawka.com/en/news/whic...BE8EZDXvED4.99