Champions League

KingLeo10

Hope we get to include the 2018-2019 side in this debate!

Then and Now: Which treble-winning Barcelona team was better?

An in-depth examination of the two (to date) Treble winning sides of 2009 and 2015.

Incidentally Eto'o was the first and to date only player to win two Trebles in a row, 2009 with us and the next year with Internazionale.

https://www.squawka.com/en/news/which-barcelona-treble-winning-side-was-the-greatest/393599#z4gqmBE8EZDXvED4.99

2009 side: most complete side ever IMO (6-2 at bernabeu, 4-0 v bayern in 45 mins, 2-0 versus a really strong United)
2011 side: football perfection (5-0 destruction of a half billion + real squad that had a prime mourinho and CR7, most 1 sided CL final in memory against SAF's united)
2015 side: unstoppable attack and really strong XI, only team in european history to register 50 W in a calendar year.

My favorite of all of them is 2009.

serghei

The 2009 team was better than the 2015 one imo.

I'd have it: 2011 > 2009 > 2015 > 2006. But even the 2006 Barca is among the best teams that have ever won the CL. All double or treble winning teams.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

The 2009 team was better than the 2015 one imo.

I'd have it: 2011 > 2009 > 2015 > 2006. But even the 2006 Barca is among the best teams that have ever won the CL. All double or treble winning teams.

Yeah I rate the 2011 team slightly stronger than 2009.. the way we took apart United in that 2011 final! Despite losing the Copa del Rey

serghei

Yeah I rate the 2011 team slightly stronger than 2009.. the way we took apart United in that 2011 final! Despite losing the Copa del Rey

Yep. The 2011 team was unplayable. Best team we'll ever see in our lifetimes probably. You had several all time greats in their positions playing in the same team at their peak, under a visionary manager with a cohesion and teamwork that was unreal to watch.

KingLeo10

Yep. The 2011 team was unplayable. Best team we'll ever see in our lifetimes probably. You had several all time greats in their positions playing in the same team at their peak, under a visionary manager with a cohesion and teamwork that was unreal to watch.

SAF said after the wembley CL final that that barca team was the best he had ever come across. And he had his share of encounters with some strong juve, milan, bayern, and real sides. :cheers:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Former Barca kid Olmo doing well for Dinamo. Scored and assisted in Dinamo's win over Astana.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
This makes no sense.

Actually I take my word back- You would have been able to win the CL only once in the last 4 that you had won.

As I said, it's easy to pass on the holier than thou attitude and suggest new rules when you are on the other side of the river - Real has won numerous CL but not many times have they actually dominated the league when they won the CL - nor were they champions the previous year.

Just taking the last 4 - 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18 - They were domestic league winners only in 2017!

Quoting your original post:

It's a picture of complete sadness to see a champion of Netherlands knocked down to qualifying berths... I hate the debate of Champions League not being for the actual champions, because it's a flawed argument, but this top4 from big 4 leagues is fucking bullshit TBH. They need to reformat this, especially when they introduce VAR in European competitions.

So by your suggestion they wouldn't even have participated in 2013–14, 2015–16 & 2016–17!

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Actually I take my word back- You would have been able to win the CL only once in the last 4 that you had won.

As I said, it's easy to pass on the holier than thou attitude and suggest new rules when you are on the other side of the river - Real has won numerous CL but not many times have they actually dominated the league when they won the CL - nor were they champions the previous year.

Just taking the last 4 - 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18 - They were domestic league winners only in 2017!

Quoting your original post:

So by your suggestion they wouldn't even have participated in 2013–14, 2015–16 & 2016–17!

What are you on about dude? Where did I ever say CL should only be for league winners? That’s a preposterous suggestion.

Home of Barca Fans