Champions League

Newcomer

I think it is bad for football or UEFA competitions.

However, it is a great news for ECA (the big clubs that are at the helm) and UEFA as an organization.
The latter was at risk of losing his "jewelry" if the big clubs did their independent super league or if they chose the FIFA concept over the UEFA Champions League. So, it is no wonder they will bent as backwards they can to please ECA.
For ECA, it is another way to keep getting more money with less risk. The dream for any entreprise. First, they got more spot in CL and that rent system with the "10 year coefficient + trophies won" cash prize. Now, they are getting "founding members" spot where they don't even need to qualify and the supposed "4" relegations per year with 32 clubs participating.
The steady flow of those increased TV rights for the 28 clubs that will keep their place is pretty damn tempting. Real Madrid is supposed to get the most money out of the bunch with 900 M a year. Hell yeah, i can totally see why those founding members are hellbent in the introduction of that format.

That only means that whoever is not in that "Super Champions League" is fucked. We can already see the disparities between clubs with 500+ M budget and 100 M ones. When some clubs can get up to 900 M from a competition they got "innate" spot, what will happen to the clubs not invited in that 32 club group. How do you even compete ?

FinBarcelonafan

I think it is bad for football or UEFA competitions.

However, it is a great news for ECA (the big clubs that are at the helm) and UEFA as an organization.
The latter was at risk of losing his "jewelry" if the big clubs did their independent super league or if they chose the FIFA concept over the UEFA Champions League. So, it is no wonder they will bent as backwards they can to please ECA.
For ECA, it is another way to keep getting more money with less risk. The dream for any entreprise. First, they got more spot in CL and that rent system with the "10 year coefficient + trophies won" cash prize. Now, they are getting "founding members" spot where they don't even need to qualify and the supposed "4" relegations per year with 32 clubs participating.
The steady flow of those increased TV rights for the 28 clubs that will keep their place is pretty damn tempting. Real Madrid is supposed to get the most money out of the bunch with 900 M a year. Hell yeah, i can totally see why those founding members are hellbent in the introduction of that format.

That only means that whoever is not in that "Super Champions League" is fucked. We can already see the disparities between clubs with 500+ M budget and 100 M ones. When some clubs can get up to 900 M from a competition they got "innate" spot, what will happen to the clubs not invited in that 32 club group. How do you even compete ?

Isn't football world already only about super clubs? It's the same teams winning the domestic titles year after year.

FC433

Monaco 2016/17

Falcao 33

Mbappé 17 Lemar 20 Silva 21
Bakayoko 21 Fabinho 22

Mendy 21 Raggi 32 Glik 28 Sidibé 23

Subasic 31

Ajax 2018/19

Neres 21 Tadic 29 Ziyech 25

Beek 21
De Jong 21 Schöne 32

Tagliafico 26 Blind 28 De Ligt 19 Mazraoui 21

Onana 22

2019/20 Benfica?​

BarcaOG

Banned
man, we better win the CL this season because both real and bayern are poised to strengthen their squads significantly this summer...it will be a lot tougher once they do

Kul_z

So, we're aproaching qf games with manu more then a week rest, while we have atletico at the saturday. Doesnt sound good, at all

Newcomer

Isn't football world already only about super clubs? It's the same teams winning the domestic titles year after year.
Yes, because of their financial advantage, their superior pull to attract players.

But they still have to qualify. The example i gave with the Milan clubs is telling. They are big names, they won countless trophies in their history, however they are having a very hard time qualifying for Champions League these days.

Once you drop the sporting merit (winning and qualifying on the pitch) as a requirement, it is becoming a travesty as a sport. For entertainment value, though, it may be good for appealing to the mass.

While PSG is "rich" now, it doesn't mean i'm happy with this financial disparities between clubs. I would prefer more competition than a few super big clubs. This format would only increase the disparities.

I guess i should be happy with my club being on the "good side" as an economic powerhouse.

Anyway, i see Barcelona beating MU easily. Despite PSG elimination, i think this was the "poorest" team we had met in a long time in Champions League. We really did wonders to be eliminated by a team that has been dominated and did not really threaten during 180 minutes.

Easiest qualification for Barcelona.

I didn't think Barça would win this year but i don't see any team threatening enough. This CL has Barca written all over.

BenRobbins

If spurs play like they did against liverpool the other week i can see them getting a result, they just need to take their chances. Not sure if aguero is back yet either.

KDB has come into good form at the right time for city. Should be a good match.

Home of Barca Fans