Team Formation and Tactics

Joan

Don't think you can. Mods will take care of it.

Don't mind this name myself either.

Joan

Now, while I like how discussions go offtopic on this board covering wide topics, it's good to have a thread. Particularly to discuss some tactical views during the season. For now, I can tell we've got a quality squad, if our signings don't flop, and wonder what Valverde might come up with.

However, good rotation policy is a must. Messi and Suarez have to be fresh for big matches. Don't think fit, rested Suarez will walk on the pitch and abandon pressing. Thus, I believe both will be able to play winde every now and then. Like Luis did vs. Sevilla.

Here's what I hope for:

Dembele - Suarez - Messi
Coutinho - Busquets - Vidal
Alba - Umtiti - Pique - Semedo/Roberto

(1) Suarez should press (2) Messi should be more mobile, not drifting centrally all the time but cutting in from the right (pressing would be appreciated, ffs, it's CL) (3) Vidal could cover for him

Also

Suarez
Cout - Messi - Malcom
Raki/Busq - Vidal

Tons of options.

Dembele Suki/Messi Malcom

Suki - Messi - Malcom/Dembele

And so on.

Judoman

[MENTION=22463]Joan Laporta[/MENTION] That 4-3-3 is an ideal scenario. Although i m generally optimistic, i dont s see "Messi on the wing" happening. I hope i m wrong and if i m, i don t see a team in Europe who
can match us. Absurdly lethal.

Vilarrubi

Now, while I like how discussions go offtopic on this board covering wide topics, it's good to have a thread. Particularly to discuss some tactical views during the season. For now, I can tell we've got a quality squad, if our signings don't flop, and wonder what Valverde might come up with.

However, good rotation policy is a must. Messi and Suarez have to be fresh for big matches. Don't think fit, rested Suarez will walk on the pitch and abandon pressing. Thus, I believe both will be able to play winde every now and then. Like Luis did vs. Sevilla.

Here's what I hope for:

Dembele - Suarez - Messi
Coutinho - Busquets - Vidal

(1) Suarez should press (2) Messi should be more mobile, not drifting centrally all the time but cutting in from the right (pressing would be appreciated, ffs, it's CL) (3) Vidal could cover for him

Also

Suarez
Cout - Messi - Malcom
Raki/Busq - Vidal

Tons of options.

Dembele Suki/Messi Malcom

Suki - Messi - Malcom/Dembele

And so on.

That 4-3-3 is exactly what I would like to see, Vidal doing the defensive work on that right side.. and i'd deffo have Semedo over Roberto

PhilS

Tons of options with this squad, I expect the formations to various and flexible. I think where they play will be determined mainly by who is on the field, the state of the match, how the opponents set up. Whatever you call the formation, Busquets will spend a lot of time helping out the CBs, and Messi will roam widely. Future stars like Arthur and Malcolm are going to be put into lots of games, wreaking havoc at multiple positions.

Joan

[MENTION=22463]Joan Laporta[/MENTION] That 4-3-3 is an ideal scenario. Although i m generally optimistic, i dont s see "Messi on the wing" happening. I hope i m wrong and if i m, i don t see a team in Europe who
can match us. Absurdly lethal.

Yeah, I'm not confident but can't see a better option myself. Damn, Messi, it can't always be comfortable. At least in the CL big matches. This would be lethal.
That 4-3-3 is exactly what I would like to see, Vidal doing the defensive work on that right side.. and i'd deffo have Semedo over Roberto
If Semedo keeps it up like this preseason, he'll cement a spot. Overlapping runs on the right are exactly what we need with Messi there. Needs to work on his end product though, final pass.

Exciting. :D

Last edited:

Ken_rosseneri

2018/2019
i don't think i've been as excited about our squad as i am with this one..sooo many options.. really
ROTATION IS A MUST.. DEFINITELY..
I think we'll toggle b/w 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1...we need to forget the 4-4-2.. he's had the entire summer to get a great squad and up his tactics game
I also think the arrival of Vidal more or less pushes Coutinho to LW.. While i think he'll excel there i don't think he has the pace to excel there...

ALSO THIS IS A MUST ---> BARCA MUST PLAY BEAUTIFUL FOOTBALL..Damn i miss this...No more mid-table/lesser teams outplaying us.. That's a NO NO
I believe the world cup also taught Valverde that Rakitic is not a RM and he can play as a DM..

However, i want this to be my starting line-up

1st line-up
--------Suarez
Cout - Messi - Malcom
-----Busq - vidal
Alba - Umtiti - Pique - Semedo

2nd starting line up

-Dembele-messi-Malcom
---coutinho----Arthur
-----------Busq
Alba - Umtiti - Pique - Semedo

Games where Busquet can rest we can play 4141

--------------Messi
Malcom--Arthur--Rakitic--Dembele
--------------Vidal
--Alba - Umtiti - Pique - Roberto

SO MANY OPTIONS, FORMATIONS... Valverde MUST GO all out this season!!

Last edited:

mesiesta

I'm pretty sure that in big games (classico, AM, CL play-offs) our squad will be pretty much the same as in last year with Vidal taking the only remaining spot. Maybe Semedo can take RB spot from Roberto, that's up to him.

Coutinho - Suarez - Messi
Vidal - Busquets - Rakitic
Alba - Umtiti - Pique - Roberto
MATS

FCBfan22

Training today:

Red bibs:

-----------------Mats------------------
Semedo----Pique----Lenglet----Alba
---------------Busquets---------------
-------Arthur-----------Rafinha-------
Dembele--------Messi----------Munir