Richarlison

khaled_a_d

I agree. But I do not think that is possible. Ready good players are not easy to get, unfortunately. Griezmann, Firmino and Mbappé are the ones that fit us.

A club like Barca should always be ready for difficult targets.
We won't continue among elites without such huge transfers, sure other bargains are needed but some big signings too.
Gotta agree that the market for a striker is shit

Jombi

I agree. But I do not think that is possible. Ready good players are not easy to get, unfortunately. Griezmann, Firmino and Mbappé are the ones that fit us.

Firmino hardly scores goals. I really dont think thats a good fit for us when our midfield hardly scores either and we play another midfield type of player, Coutinho, as left forward. The Messi dependence would be extreme.

I think it makes perfect sense to buy a cheaper alternative to Suarez in case Suarez completely sucks next season. Ideally, that player should be versatile so he can play together with Suarez to get more playing time. Just breaking the bank trying to get someone like Harry Kane, while ignoring the rest of the squad does not seem like a wise choice.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Firmino hardly scores goals. I really dont think thats a good fit for us when our midfield hardly scores either and we play another midfield type of player, Coutinho, as left forward. The Messi dependence would be extreme.

I think it makes perfect sense to buy a cheaper alternative to Suarez in case Suarez completely sucks next season. Ideally, that player should be versatile so he can play together with Suarez to get more playing time. Just breaking the bank trying to get someone like Harry Kane, while ignoring the rest of the squad does not seem like a wise choice.

You know that I love the worst case scenarios, so here we go:
1. we have Dembele, let's say that we will sell him this summer
2. we have Malcom, let's say that he won't make it. He will be sold in a summer of 2019 or 2020
3. let's say that we will listen to you and buy a cheaper, 50M Cf in a summer of 2019.
And as always, let's assume that he will be the next Deulofeu, Paco, Munir, Dembele or Malcom.
Then, in a summer of 2020, we will have:
1. no Suarez, he will be leaving and he will not be good anymore
2. a new Cf, whom you bought, who turned out to be another average player not good enough for Barca
3. Paco sold, Dembele sold, Malcom sold, Munir sold.
So, basically, we would have 33 years old Messi and Coutinho in attacking line.
That means that we would need to buy ANOTHER CF in a summer of 2020 (instead of both Suarez and your guy from a summer 2019'), and we would need 1-2 new wingers (Messi is old and we have zero wingers in a team after Dembele and Malcom failures), plus we would need 1 player who will be a sub Cf.
So, we would need to buy 3 new players for an attacking line in a summer of 2020'.

And then, when you remember a good old rule that 2 out of 3 signings at Barca fail, then buying 3 new players who will need a few months/years to adapt and who will STILL probably fail, doesn't sound like a good idea.

So, you'll have to accept sooner of later: we will buy a proven 100-200M Cf soon who have higher chances to deliver results right away.
Not a new Brasilian kid or Richarlison who is not a true Cf at all.

Last edited:

Jombi

You know that I love the worst case scenarios, so here we go:

OK, so you want a worst case scenario, so that means you'll spend 250m, all of our funds plus some money we dont have on some proven new Ibrahimovic in a terrible striker market who will fail miserably and we're in both deep financial and sporting trouble if you get your will. You want a true CF and suggest Firmino who hardly scores goals. And you've suggested our former player Icardi who is really bad at buildup play and has a grand total of 6 caps and 0 goals for Argentina at the age of 26! You want to blow our budget on that. And what else? You want Milinkovic Savic for 120m euros again? Its hardly ideal to say the least. The opportunities in the market right now are not in the striker market, its in other positions. We would be better off focusing on those opportunities where we also need reinforcements.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

you'll spend 250m on some proven new Ibrahimovic in a terrible striker market who will fail miserably

IBrahimovic was good.
It is juts that Pep didn't like him.

Ibrahimovic:
29 La liga matches=16 goals

Paco, Dembele, Malcom and Deulofeu combined:
37 (11) + 28 (7) + 3 (0) + 10 (1)
= 78 matches, 19 goals

So, you see, I would always choose "a failure" like Ibrahimovic, than Dembeles and Malcoms.
Btw., we paid 240 Millions for these 4 not-goo-for-Barca attackers.
Icardi or Firmino can't be worse than that, and they will be way cheaper.

I don't want Milinkovic Savic (I was interested for a few days when he was hyped, before watching him).
About Icardi's NT caps, how many caps our mighty Dembele, Malcom, Duelofeu and Paco have?
If we have wasted 145M on Dembele, in which universe is someone like Icardi a bad deal?
No one can match Dembele's deal, lol. Not even close.

The opportunities in the market right now are not in the striker market, its in other positions. We would be better off focusing on those opportunities where we also need reinforcements.

I have told you my opinion: matches and titles are won by world class Fcs like Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Etoo, Villa, Messi, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Suarez (of course, combined with a decent midfield and defense).
Real Madrid have Modric, Kroos, Isco in midfield.
People were hyping their midfield for years.
And now, without an attacker, they can't do shit.
So, 10 Xavis in midfield won't help you if no one can score goals upfront.
You will have possession and control, and passes around the box, and the attackers will just waste chances or won't get into chances at all if they suck in positioning and attacker's-killer instinct.
So, Barca hasn't scored a goal on the last 6 occasions on away matches when we were knocked out in a CL:
2012: Chelsea 0:1
2013: Bayern 0:4
2014: Atletico 0:1
2016: Atletico 0:2
2017: Juve 0:3
2018: Roma 0:3

And your idea to fix this is: buy a new RB, buy De Light and De Jong.
I'll pull a crystal ball from my ass (I have to use this joke now all the time, lol) and tell you: it won't strengthen our team at all if you don't have killers in attack.

The other scenario is: we should give up from a CL, and rebuild a team for the future with De Jong, De Light and other youngsters.
Well, that's not Barca's way.

Last edited:

gasgas

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]

....................ter stegen
semedo..de ligt...lenglet.......alba................
.......de jong......arthur........vidal
............messi......coutinho....
.......................icardi

Jombi

IBrahimovic was good.
It is juts that Pep didn't like him.

It was a disastrous decision to ditch Eto'o for Ibra and pay a truckload of money on top of that. He totally ruined our game, and it was a huge gift to Mourinho who won the CL that year. One of the worst transfers ever by any objective standards.

Deulofeu? Paco? These are not superstar signings at all. Deulofeu is our own La Masia player (we paid how much for him exactly?) and Paco was a mere backup. You could say the same about Malcom as well, he was bought with zero plan at all it seems (a Messi backup?), and the same with the desperate Dembele signing, as it was pretty obvious that Coutinho was the Neymar replacement. We obviously need to have a plan where the players we sign are going to play.

You emphasize NT caps and being a "true CF" and how crucial those factors are, and then you go on to suggest we should splash huge amounts of money we likely dont have to guarantee success by signing a guy with 6 caps and 0 goals at the age of 26 like Icardi or sign a player for a huge fee who hardly scores goals like Firmino.

Also, you just said a couple of pages ago that a superstar signing to replace Suarez is likely to happen in 2020, this is the Barca way you claimed, and now you try to paint a picture of what a disaster that would be, with 4 new signings needed in 2020 for the attack and claim we would just offload Malcom and Dembele with no plan to replace either. Both of those two could easily be gone in 2019. There simply is no room for them. But it makes zero sense to not replace either. One way to do it is to sign someone who is versatile and can play as striker as well.

Once again, signing a young player does not mean that we sign for the future. Your ridiculous dismissal of Arthur for months on end before he even joined us should teach you that. The same with how you have treated the signing of De Jong as such a joke for a team like Barca and portrayed him as a future flop and compared him to irrelevant transfers of the past.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't see how Icardi is overrated. He's been carrying Inter for quite some time now. Everyone sucks for Argentina. They're a mess and have been so for a long time apart from when Pekerman and Sabella were their coaches.

Yes, Icardi is more limited than Suarez or Eto'o was, but Barca have to adapt then, we cannot always find players such as Suarez or Eto'o, nor should we take vastly inferior players to Icardi just because they resemble those two more.

D10S_JC

Barca will sign a proven player to replace Suarez. From Kluivert, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, David Villa to Suarez, we've no tradition to wait for a cheaper alternative to thrive.

Last edited:

Porque

Sadio Mane anyone? Can easily move into AML and AMR. Good finishing rate and a workhorse off the ball. He is one of the better CF options out there.

I know hes not playing CF right but for me a better striker option for us than Firmino.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Sadio Mane anyone? Can easily move into AML and AMR. Good finishing rate and a workhorse off the ball. He is one of the better CF options out there.

I know hes not playing CF right but for me a better striker option for us than Firmino.
Not a striker, he is very wasteful in front of goal

Jombi

Barca will sign a proven player to replace Suarez. From Kluivert, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, David Villa to Suarez, we've no tradition to wait for a cheaper alternative to thrive.

Just because we did it in the past doesnt mean blowing our budget on a striker in this market is the best thing to do.

El Gato

Villarato!
I love how some threads like this one just become proxy threads for whinging why certain transfer targets are shit. Lol.

xXKonan

Scores again for Brazil.

Starting to think he could potentially be the answer to Brazil's answer to the #9 spot even ahead of Gabriel Jesus if he keeps it going. Seems to have more ferociousness to him than Jesus does.

Home of Barca Fans