Richarlison

Jombi

Not in the mold of Monaco. With owners investing serious amounts every season. I agree with you that we should definitely keep an eye on him. Just not about the nature of the transfer. If that clause still exists, similar amount could get you Icardi (not that I'm a fan, just an example).

That 110m Icardi clause doesnt exist anymore and he's nothing special IMO. A massive downgrade to peak Suarez. He'd be an example of throwing huge amounts of money in an awful striker market.

Trickykid

That 110m Icardi clause doesnt exist anymore and he's nothing special IMO. A massive downgrade to peak Suarez. He'd be an example of throwing huge amounts of money in an awful striker market.

Not that I necessarily disagree with your Icardi assessment, but who would you have us go for - aside from watching Richarlison's progression of course - as a possible Suarez replacement this summer?

Because even though it'd be a monumental downgrade, I honestly don't see many better options than the likes of Icardi, if we're looking for a pure 9.

Jombi

Not that I necessarily disagree with your Icardi assessment, but who would you have us go for - aside from watching Richarlison's progression of course - as a possible Suarez replacement this summer?

Because even though it'd be a monumental downgrade, I honestly don't see many better options than the likes of Icardi, if we're looking for a pure 9.

I just hope that Suarez keeps up his new found form basically and find a cheaper option as an emergency if Suarez is completely done and needs to be replaced during the course of next season. Maxi Gomez is also one to watch this season and should be cheap-ish. Although, a factor here is that the striker market is so bad that we could see tons of money being thrown around by lots of huge clubs for players that normally would be much cheaper. I just think it would be terrible to splash huge amounts of money on a striker in this market, better to use that money on midfield and defence where there are some good opportunities as reinforcements.

Trickykid

I just hope that Suarez keeps up his new found form basically and find a cheaper option as an emergency if Suarez is completely done and needs to be replaced during the course of next season. Maxi Gomez is also one to watch this season and should be cheap-ish. Although, a factor here is that the striker market is so bad that we could see tons of money being thrown around by lots of huge clubs for players that normally would be much cheaper. I just think it would be terrible to splash huge amounts of money on a striker in this market, better to use that money on midfield and defence where there are some good opportunities as reinforcements.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Adversus

If I was Barca I would just pay whatever Spurs want for Kane. His only weakness is that he lacks a bit of top speed but he's quick over 5 to 10 yards which is far more important for a player at Barca. Everything else he's perfect. Great touch and holdup play, great passing and fantastic shot and finishing. He would cost a lot but he's a no risk buy and still only 25 plus he's a good character and works hard of the ball.

FC433

Icardi and Kane are quality strikers and two of the top five, but definitely not suitable for Barca. They are very limited outside the box, which is very important.

Vigo's Gomez is my pick and Dolberg is starting to shine again, I believe.

Adversus

Icardi and Kane are quality strikers and two of the top five, but definitely not suitable for Barca. They are very limited outside the box, which is very important.

Vigo's Gomez is my pick and Dolberg is starting to shine again, I believe.

Kane's not limited at all outside the box. Spurs in the past would often play him as a 10. The only thing he doesn't have is blistering pace - but he's not slow either.

All of the players mentioned are massive gambles. Maybe not in terms of money but what happens if they don't work out and Barca have a really bad season.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

I don't think we'll look for a Suarez replacement next summer. 2020 sounds more reasonable and if we consider Richarlison by that time it probably means he played very good for Everton until then

Would be very expensive in that case of course.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We absolutely should not sign another young talent as a replacement for Suarez. We very much need someone who can contribute right away. We cannot babysit half the Starting XI and Messi is not getting younger either. I firmly believe we should build long-term together with competing for titles right now and that's definitely possible, but then you need a good mix of experienced players, players in their prime and young upcoming talents.

Right now we have too many older players edging towards the end of their careers or at least as starters and then we have a bunch of young talent. The only player who can be regarded as being in his prime is Coutinho and possibly Umtiti and ter Stegen if you want to add them too, although both might be 2-3 years away from that.

Barca need to sign more players that are ready to contribute heavily from Day 1. We should go for CL titles right now when we still have Messi playing like he is.

We'll be competing for CL titles after him too as long as the board and management don't royally screw up the squad and the club, but with the right system and players he's the X-factor we'll never have again so we need to go all in right now.

de Jong and de Ligt should be the only talents that we should sign. The new striker should be someone that's ready to hit big numbers right away, not someone we have to develop for another 2-3 years to get to that stage.

If Coutinho is to play as the LW in a new system with a presumably new manager we probably should make a decision on Dembele and Malcom too and keep one of them.

We might need a new RB too(again someone who can contribute right away in that position, don't ask me who though lol), and could use some funds for that as well as for MDL and FDJ.

Last edited:

Jombi

I don't think we'll look for a Suarez replacement next summer. 2020 sounds more reasonable and if we consider Richarlison by that time it probably means he played very good for Everton until then

Would be very expensive in that case of course.

Our front line would be very slow, thats my concern. Suarez and Messi would be around 33 years old next season. Coutinho is also quite slow. And the midfield is the key to our game with Raki and Busi both ageing. And we've spent a huge amount of money so it does not seem like we can afford several superstar signings yet again. We have to somehow find value in the market. We did it with Umtiti and probably Arthur. It's certainly possible to do it again.

MTL_Barca

Our front line would be very slow, thats my concern. Suarez and Messi would be around 33 years old next season. Coutinho is also quite slow. And the midfield is the key to our game with Raki and Busi both ageing. And we've spent a huge amount of money so it does not seem like we can afford several superstar signings yet again. We have to somehow find value in the market. We did it with Umtiti and probably Arthur. It's certainly possible to do it again.

Well thats most likely what we have to work with. Also we still have Valverde and apparently he likes it slow :lol: If we get a new coach he could still use Malcom and Dembele.

De Jong can be a fresh player for midfield potentially. I think we will focus on attack again in 2020

soul24rage

Yeah I doubt that we are going to buy a first team striker before summer 2020. I'm guessing that we are going to focus on buying De Jong and especially De Ligt in the summer 2019 (also maybe a back up LB) and then buy a striker in the summer 2020.

BBZ8800

Barca need to sign more players that are ready to contribute heavily from Day 1. We should go for CL titles right now when we still have Messi playing like he is.

We'll be competing for CL titles after him too as long as the board and management don't royally screw up the squad and the club, but with the right system and players he's the X-factor we'll never have again so we need to go all in right now.

de Jong and de Ligt should be the only talents that we should sign. The new striker should be someone that's ready to hit big numbers right away, not someone we have to develop for another 2-3 years to get to that stage.

Wow.
You will be my friend soon, Don.
1. You gave up from Neymar in his last season
2. You started to doubt Dembele lately
3. You realized that we can't buy too many youngsters and develop too many of them in the same time, especially a Cf (since we are chasing titles in every season)
4. The only missing piece is: when you'll lose optimism about La Masia kids and majoriry of overhyped foreign youngsters, and you will be a perfect poster, lol 😉

KingLeo10

Wow.
You will be my friend soon, Don.
1. You gave up from Neymar in his last season
2. You started to doubt Dembele lately
3. You realized that we can't buy too many youngsters and develop too many of them in the same time, especially a Cf (since we are chasing titles in every season)
4. The only missing piece is: when you'll lose optimism about La Masia kids and majoriry of overhyped foreign youngsters, and you will be a perfect poster, lol ��

why aren't you lobbying for vidal to play then? especially with rakitic being overrun. or can vidal only play instead of arthur?

FC433

We absolutely should not sign another young talent as a replacement for Suarez. We very much need someone who can contribute right away. We cannot babysit half the Starting XI and Messi is not getting younger either. I firmly believe we should build long-term together with competing for titles right now and that's definitely possible, but then you need a good mix of experienced players, players in their prime and young upcoming talents.

Right now we have too many older players edging towards the end of their careers or at least as starters and then we have a bunch of young talent. The only player who can be regarded as being in his prime is Coutinho and possibly Umtiti and ter Stegen if you want to add them too, although both might be 2-3 years away from that.

If Coutinho is to play as the LW in a new system with a presumably new manager we probably should make a decision on Dembele and Malcom too and keep one of them.

We might need a new RB too(again someone who can contribute right away in that position, don't ask me who though lol), and could use some funds for that as well as for MDL and FDJ.

I agree. But I do not think that is possible. Ready good players are not easy to get, unfortunately. Griezmann, Firmino and Mbappé are the ones that fit us.

Home of Barca Fans