La Liga 2018/19

Who will win La Liga?

• Total voters

Joan

DkusmM_W4AAGr_W

La Liga champions badge on our sleeves. First team to wear it.

El Gato

Villarato!
Honestly I think even in England people would loathe this too.

Even? Definitely. Germans are the ones that I've seen get pissed off most with 50+1 discussions and whatnot. It doesn't really matter, which fans get p'd off. The ones that get annoyed most with the concept of playing meaningful games away from the club's country of origin, are the same people who deep down think foreigners shouldn't REALLY support their team, because they ought to back their local side.

I mean let's face it - why do those arguing against it ignore the fact that each one of these fixtures (if played by Real Madrid, Barcelona or Atletico with a semi-full strength team) would sell out among their foreign fans? They don't want to see that argument, don't give a slightest toss. They don't think foreigners deserve anything more than a friendly no matter what. And they constantly hurl insults towards people from Asia for being plastic fans no matter the circumstance. "A POLISH Real Madrid fan!! As if mate!"
Large part of these conservative-leaning people are the crowd who think Manchester United fans should be from Manchester, but they're happy to take any money they put into the club via TV rights, kit purchases, attendance at friendly games and whatever else.

Point being that nobody even mentioned 1 going to 5 in 10 years once the precedent is set like [MENTION=19371]Yannik[/MENTION] suggests. It's obvious that Real Madrid wouldn't be Real Madrid if half of its fixtures were played as a world-tour. But it's fucking stupid to not realise the real benefits of this thing.

Shit irks me to no end sometimes.

Last edited:

Yannik

The first that loose out here are the locals who get less from their season ticket (nope, that game isn't gonna get a refund), aswell as small teams that get robbed off a home game. I mean we in Hannover will loose 4 out 5 fixtures against Bayern, Schalke, Dortmund, Leipzig, Leverkusen etc, but if we do have a chance then it's at home.

Now outsource this opportunity 6.000 miles away from the HDI Arena and we've effectively lost our competetive advantage. It's probably not even gonna be a neutral ground game, the bigger club will no matter what draw the attendance. It's 2 away fixtures in a season then.^

I don't mind foreign support, or their opportunity to see games live. But that's what preseason tours are for. I'm sorry for the overseas fans, but it is immensely important that the sport stays within it's competetive nature, not become a marketing stunt.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
I mean we in Hannover will loose 4 out 5 fixtures against Bayern, Schalke, Dortmund, Leipzig, Leverkusen etc, but if we do have a chance then it's at home.

win___epl.png

49% home wins in the English Premiership in 17/18. For La Liga teams the average number over the last 5 seasons is 48%. Don't know what it is for Germany, but probably similar I'd wager. Basically whoever the home team would be that would have their game moved abroad would be worse off and the away team would benefit from this on the principle of not playing in a difficult ground. So nope, not necessarily making it any harder for lower ranked teams at all.

Problem of course is that it is somewhat artificial at its heart, which naturally has to be acknowledged, but it's absolutely manageable with a given law. Fans are chickenshit with sharing what they deem is "theirs". Guarantee those who take the moral high ground on this are the same people who bitch and moan any time VAR doesn't solve a grey referee decision.

Also :lol: @ "I don't mind foreign support". Sure you don't mate. You not gonna go picketing in front of DFB headquarters to put a stop to those nice TV deals that inject a bit of extra money into the lower half of the league table, will you? God forbid these same foreign fans who watch every week on TV would be up for seeing the ACTUAL FIRST TEAM come to their country to play a game and not Bayern Munich D-team or whatever.

Anyway, this is more food for thought for those who think it's a terrible idea without even giving it a second thought. Personally I agree with [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] and others who suggested to move Spanish Supercopa abroad instead. Two legs, double the money. Perfect opportunity wasted and wouldn't touch the league standings. Still, the morality of local fans in some countries baffles me.

Last edited:

Jenks

I think people dislike it more because of how cheap and tacky it feels to whore your league out to another market while betraying two club's worth of existing season ticket holders. And if they're following the same model that saw NFL games come to Wembley (which can fuck off too) then they're going to send a big team in Real Madrid or Barcelona and then a relegation fodder side who would have been playing at home. That can have massive consequences for the smaller side, because you know that the game in the US is essentially just going to be an extra home game for them in terms of support.

El Gato

Villarato!
So why assume something so unlikely as an "extra home game" for anybody? Doubtful they'd use anybody other than Real, Barca or Atleti and their home game for this. That way nearly everybody wins, because the home team isn't as comfortable, but still gets support from foreign fanbase. The away team gets arguably better shot at beating them and gets free exposure in the US.

The season ticket holder argument is valid, that's true. Did Tebas confirm there won't be any reimbursements? That's the least I would expect.

Joan

As if 'home' teams won't get heavy compensations. No team will do it unless it's financially benifical.

Why would Tebas need to confirm whether there'll be reimbursements? I'd say it's up to the clubs. Unless it's mandatory. Can't stop a club from giving the money back to the fans.

El Gato

Villarato!
As if 'home' teams won't get heavy compensations. No team will do it unless it's financially benifical.

Why would Tebas need to confirm whether there'll be reimbursements? I'd say it's up to the clubs. Unless it's mandatory. Can't stop a club from giving the money back to the fans.

I assumed some form of agreement between clubs and the federation since it's their idea to hold the game 2000 miles away.
Completely agree with the first point anyway. People worry about petty shit like operation costs, ticket pricing or jetlag for players when this is literally just admin and there are taboons of people to work this out. In the normal world I'd expect La Liga to cover the costs. Guess it's not a normal circumstance though :lol:

FinBarcelonafan

NHL does the same and I have to say it's quite cool for European NHL fans. I don't see how this would hurt LaLiga. It can help it grow in US. Sounds Great!

Yannik

win___epl.png

49% home wins in the English Premiership in 17/18. For La Liga teams the average number over the last 5 seasons is 48%. Don't know what it is for Germany, but probably similar I'd wager. Basically whoever the home team would be that would have their game moved abroad would be worse off and the away team would benefit from this on the principle of not playing in a difficult ground. So nope, not necessarily making it any harder for lower ranked teams at all.

Problem of course is that it is somewhat artificial at its heart, which naturally has to be acknowledged,

And there you have why it's a shit idea. Broadcasters deciding via business factors who's going to get fucked in the knee for each years league campaign. There's no way this is gonna be a shitshow among fans right?

Imagine Barca head on head with Real Madrid in the last 3 games of the season.
Up steps Tebas: "oh well, we decided to let this years Barca vs Sevilla play in the MetLife arena and fuck yeah lads Cardi B halftime show confirmed skrrt skrrt ;)".

Surely Barca fans would just sit there and say "oh hey, bummer".

Last edited:

Joan

The league's starting tonight. Girona under Eusebio vs. Valladolid (Pucela) is the first match followed by Betis-Levante. Looking forward to the second match. Can't wait to see Betis (albeit, Levante did business this summer as well). Dwamena from Zurich for 6,5 mil and Nikola Vukčević for almost 9 mil from Sporting Braga, neither is expected to start tonight.

Not a very flashy opening, but I reckon it might be more entertaining than the names would suggest.

Home of Barca Fans