Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antoine Griezmann

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Mohamed Salah

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Harry Kane

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Ronaldo will win it probably, though he doesn't deserve it. He was invisible the whole first half of season, Messi played top class for the whole year

Ronaldo comes to a new ligue , new team with almost 34 years: Becomes Topscorer of goals and assists and created the third most chances for his team mates in Serie A and you say he was invisible ? Youre trolling isnt class :lol::lol:

ImO only Messi and Ronaldo deserve this award, both were the only players who performed the whole year.

Modric and Varane played disastrous since the WC. Mbappe plays in a ligue which cant defend and his CL Performances werent good.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Varane had one bad game against Atletico in SuperCopa. On the whole he's been chucked under the bus by marauding Ramos and Marcelo. If we're being real, Cristiano deserves it this year I think, but it'll be difficult to overcome the Modrić lobby. And I don't mind that one bit. Finally somebody different in this Mickey Mouse award.

In general this WC took a lot out of most players who didn’t have a proper preseason after it. Modrić recently said it, Griezmann and Atleti don’t look like themselves, Spurs players are still hungover from it especially since EPL starts early.. it’s difficult to look at anybody who isn’t a physical freak like CR that trains every day all year long with very little holiday. It’s one reason he stands out so much this autumn. Only Mbappe comes close.

Last edited:

Bulgroz

Ronaldo comes to a new ligue , new team with almost 34 years: Becomes Topscorer of goals and assists and created the third most chances for his team mates in Serie A and you say he was invisible ? Youre trolling isnt class :lol::lol:

ImO only Messi and Ronaldo deserve this award, both were the only players who performed the whole year.

Modric and Varane played disastrous since the WC. Mbappe plays in a ligue which cant defend and his CL Performances werent good.

When you say "Messi and Ronaldo performed the whole year", you mean "the whole year except for that june-july period during which I heard there was an amateur tournament going but I don't know much about that" ?

As Wolfe said, it's easier to perform after a WC that you didn't play, or barely. It takes a toll on your body, and on your mind. Going back to playing against Leganès, Cardiff or Dijon after winning/coming close to win the most important trophy of your career is not super easy, I'd wager. Except when you're a robot like CR. But then again, that Cristiano Roboto was pretty harmless during the WC, except on his first game.

KingLeo10

your tears regarding CR7 potentially not winning the award are delicious. especially with that messi username you like to hide behind.

are you peyroteo from redcafe by any chance? that guy would give his life for CR7. :lol::lol:

Messigician

your tears regarding CR7 potentially not winning the award are delicious. especially with that messi username you like to hide behind.

are you peyroteo from redcafe by any chance? that guy would give his life for CR7. :lol::lol:

I hate redcafe. Please don't mention them again

I am being objective although I am a Barca Fan :barcascarf::barcascarf:

When you say "Messi and Ronaldo performed the whole year", you mean "the whole year except for that june-july period during which I heard there was an amateur tournament going but I don't know much about that" ?

As Wolfe said, it's easier to perform after a WC that you didn't play, or barely. It takes a toll on your body, and on your mind. Going back to playing against Leganès, Cardiff or Dijon after winning/coming close to win the most important trophy of your career is not super easy, I'd wager. Except when you're a robot like CR. But then again, that Cristiano Roboto was pretty harmless during the WC, except on his first game.

Whats your point ? So you say if you win the Wc you are allowed to play bad next 6 months and deserves to win the Ballon dor ? Ballon Dor means WHOLE Year, and the most players only performed 6-7 months on highest level. Messi and Ronaldo were the only players performing 11 months on that level. And both had also a good WC, Messi scored an important goal against Nigeria and had two assists against France, Ronaldo Hattrick against Spain and the only goal against Marocco.

Givenchy

Whats your point ? So you say if you win the Wc you are allowed to play bad next 6 months and deserves to win the Ballon dor ? Ballon Dor means WHOLE Year, and the most players only performed 6-7 months on highest level. Messi and Ronaldo were the only players performing 11 months on that level. And both had also a good WC, Messi scored an important goal against Nigeria and had two assists against France, Ronaldo Hattrick against Spain and the only goal against Marocco.

the Ballon d'or isn't about the whole year anymore and hasn't been for quite a while now, thats how Ronaldo beat Messi the past few years.. turning up late in the CL and stealing the spotlight, scoring golazos before the voting closes. recency bias has him level with the GOAT, if you look at their stats and INDIVIDUAL seasons, Messi wins almost every year. Ronaldo was shit in la liga and turned up later in the CL with his clutchness, then did a houdini and went missing in the final as usual.

its turned into a shitty popularity contest and an 'individual' award which will go to a player on a TEAM that won the most silverware through TEAMWORK

this year i really don't know who should win it. Modric hype is laughable and part of me feels it'll be a disgrace if he wins a ballon d'or while Xavi had to settle for 3rd place

Bulgroz

I don't even know why you're answering me, I didn't say it was fair or anything, I EXPLICITELY said that it was just the way it worked.

But anyway, you don't even make sense when you say that Messi and Ronaldo performed during "11 months". I's blatantly wrong. First of all, votes are closed on the 9th of november. Means they're judged on 10 months (count again), not 11. On those 10 months, take into account holidays, injuries (for Messi) and the WC. Now do your maths again, and explain how both were impressive for "11 months".

And no, Messi and Ronaldo didn't have a good WC. Messi scored a nice goal against Nigeria, agreed. He also missed a penalty that could have helped his team end up first. He was completely useless most of the time, including against France where one of his "assists" is actually a failed shot that miraculously end up on Mercado. I love Messi, and part of me (a tiny part of me, granted, but still) hoped that he would deliver against France and go snatch the WC, because it's a pity such a player never won that trophy. And granted, his team was overall rather poor. But it doesn't change the fact that he was bad during the most important competition of the year.

Same could be said about Ronaldo, albeit on a lesser extent for this season. He was good against Spain, then scored against Morocco, but that's where his WC ended, basically. At the 4th minute of the second game. Then he went missing as his team (european champion, need I remind you) struggled to keep that small advantage against Morocco, and then almost got eliminated by Iran (!). He was nowhere to be seen against Uruguay. His WC was average at best.

I don't even know why you're answering me, I didn't say it was fair or anything, I EXPLICITELY said that it was just the way it worked.

But anyway, you don't even make sense when you say that Messi and Ronaldo performed during "11 months". I's blatantly wrong. First of all, votes are closed on the 9th of november. Means they're judged on 10 months (count again), not 11. On those 10 months, take into account holidays, injuries (for Messi) and the WC. Now do your maths again, and explain how both were impressive for "11 months".

And no, Messi and Ronaldo didn't have a good WC. Messi scored a nice goal against Nigeria, agreed. He also missed a penalty that could have helped his team end up first. He was completely useless most of the time, including against France where one of his "assists" is actually a failed shot that miraculously end up on Mercado. I love Messi, and part of me (a tiny part of me, granted, but still) hoped that he would deliver against France and go snatch the WC, because it's a pity such a player never won that trophy. And granted, his team was overall rather poor. But it doesn't change the fact that he was bad during the most important competition of the year.

Same could be said about Ronaldo, albeit on a lesser extent for this season. He was good against Spain, then scored against Morocco, but that's where his WC ended, basically. At the 4th minute of the second game. Then he went missing as his team (european champion, need I remind you) struggled to keep that small advantage against Morocco, and then almost got eliminated by Iran (!). He was nowhere to be seen against Uruguay. His WC was average at best.

Ok mister. Who should win the Ballon dor ?

Bulgroz

Ok mister. Who should win the Ballon dor ?

Individual trophies in a team sport are pretty dumb. How are you supposed to know if Messi would crush it in the same way in a different team ? What's the exact importance of the team in his success, and of his performances in his team's success ? Would Barcelona still win La Liga with Dembele playing all year long instead of Messi ? You have no way of knowing all of that for sure. You can just take the stats, and the general impression Messi gives you. That would leave most people to think he's definitely the best in the world, because he's doing things nobody else can do. Other people would ask: what good is that if he can't win the most prestigious trophies with his team ?

All that being said, how do you determine the "best player in the world" ? Do you simply take stats (then it's always going to be an offensive player, and you might aswell simply give it every year to the golden boot) ? Do you pick the most "impressive" player (but then again, it's probably going to be an offensive player, every year) ? Or do you take into account the trophies won (but what about great players playing for shitty teams, especially for "bad" national teams because you can't chose your nationality, just ask Ryan Giggs, Samuel Eto'o, Zlatan and so on) ?

I don't have the answer to that. I have my own opinion, which is that, if you really have to give an individual trophy, it has to be well, based on individual qualities. In that aspect, Messi would have won most of the last 10 Ballon d'Or. I was actually among the people defending the fact that he won when Iniesta or Sneijder could have deserved it, because at the end of the day it all comes down to this: you have to pick the best players in the world during the past year, for a pick-up game against a friend of yours. You want to destroy that friend. Who are you going to pick first ? Sneijder, who won a treble and had a great season in a team that worked superbly with him (or maybe because of him) ? Or an extra-terrestrial being who was born in Argentina and can make you win any game when he feels like it ? Pretty sure you're gonna pick the second one. Or at the very least, no one can really blame you for picking the second one, even if the 1st one can also be a good choice.

But, I do understand that many people (including the journalists voting for the Ballon d'Or) take trophies won into account. Once again, what good is your individual talent if it doesn't push your team forward ? And if you're winning all the most important collective trophies in a year, doesn't it say a lot about what you bring to the team, as a player, and as a person ?

I don't really get it when people say they're outraged that X or Y won the Ballon d'Or instead of Z or W. It's a subjective choice. And most importantly, it's not like they're going to give it to Gabriel Obertan, Moussa Sissoko or Munir. They're going to give it to someone who won (or almost won if it's Modric, but in a team that was considered at best as an outsider at the beginning of the WC) the most important trophy in the world, won the UCL (unless it's Mbappe, but I really don't think it's going to be him), playing a major part in those successes. So yeah, maybe you think that Messi played better, or that Ronaldo scored an amazing goal against Juve and then went on to score goals in a 3rd major league in his career. But that's just your opinion. I respect it, and I can't even say you're completely wrong. But you can't really say that people thinking that Varane or Modric deserve it are completely wrong either.

Givenchy

Update

[tw]1064594181014921216[/tw]

I really dont see anyone that deserving of it this year..

Modric hype train was ridiculous, Ronaldo has faded away and didn't perform the full season, Messi is obviously the best but didn't win a CL.. Griezmann has been poor, Varane won CL and WC but nothing THAT amazing and then you have Mbappe.. laughable if hes anywhere near the top 3 and shows how bias this award is from the French

El Gato

Villarato!
I really dont see anyone that deserving of it this year..

Modric hype train was ridiculous, Ronaldo has faded away and didn't perform the full season, Messi is obviously the best but didn't win a CL.. Griezmann has been poor, Varane won CL and WC but nothing THAT amazing and then you have Mbappe.. laughable if hes anywhere near the top 3 and shows how bias this award is from the French

Out of curiosity, what would constitute an "amazing" season for a defender? Going half a season without conceding (or something comparably impossible)?

Home of Barca Fans