Signing another midfielder

Which midfielder would you sign?

• Total voters

Trickykid

After having signed Arthur there are still loads of rumors floating around about us wanting another midfielder. I'm honestly far from sure if we'll be able to sign any of the big names, and I see a cheaper option such as Rabiot as far more realistic. There's also the possibility that we're going for the talent option such as Aouar or Frenkie de Jong, but I do believe we're looking for someone who can make an immediate impact.

Who would you go for, if you take into account all possible factors such as economy, squad fit and of course basic quality of the signing?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Sergi Roberto! He has the stamina and "Barca DNA" and could be our motor in midfield.

Obviously, Kante would be a dream but that's impossible.

Trickykid

Even though I'm really impressed by Kanté, I went with Drogba. If he could keep up the level of diciplin he's shown at the WC on a day to day basis and sprinkle it with his usual creativity and flair, he could easily be the missing cog in our midfield. I just can't see him being freed from his shackles of mediocrity at Man Utd, sadly.

FCBfan22

If we want a WC midfielder this summer, we must act fast. If NeyNey's mega transfer happens, the market will be even more inflated and some of the players (particulary Pogba and Kante) will probably be on their way to Paris.

Trickykid

If we want a WC midfielder this summer, we must act fast. If NeyNey's mega transfer happens, the market will be even more inflated and some of the players (particulary Pogba and Kante) will probably be on their way to Paris.

Considering how P$G usually act when you come asking for their stars, I can't possible imagine them selling Nerman. And even if they do, what makes you think this transfer will happen anytime soon? A mega transfer deal like this would most likely be dragged all the way to end of the window, no matter the outcome.

FCBfan22

Considering how P$G usually act when you come asking for their stars, I can't possible imagine them selling Nerman. And even if they do, what makes you think this transfer will happen anytime soon? A mega transfer deal like this would most likely be dragged all the way to end of the window, no matter the outcome.

It can happen soon. The wage war has already begun. Remember, it was around this time last year when the rumours about NeyNey to P$G really started to pick up. Perez needs a star and will do anything to get Ney. I also doubt that they would bun off CR so quickly, if they knew that there is no chance to sign a top 5 player. Also from P$G's point, if Real comes knocking with 300-320 million Euros, it's basically free 80-100 million from them. There is also word from P$G's dressing room, that most of the other players don't like NeyNey (not only Cavani), so they can solve that problem and use those 300 million to buy Kante and Pogba, reinforcing the midfield.

So if we want Kante, we better be very quick.

Trickykid

It can happen soon. The wage war has already begun. Remember, it was around this time last year when the rumours about NeyNey to P$G really started to pick up. Perez needs a star and will do anything to get Ney. I also doubt that they would bun off CR so quickly, if they knew that there is no chance to sign a top 5 player. Also from P$G's point, if Real comes knocking with 300-320 million Euros, it's basically free 80-100 million from them. There is also word from P$G's dressing room, that most of the other players don't like NeyNey (not only Cavani), so they can solve that problem and use those 300 million to buy Kante and Pogba, reinforcing the midfield.

So if we want Kante, we better be very quick.

Yeah, I don't buy it... I think the oil sheik will be stubborn as usual, but we'll see.

And even if it ends up happening, I also don't see how we can force Chelsea to let go of Kanté in a hurry, unless of course we offer the insano money.

Last edited:

Joan

Since I have no idea how much we'd need to cash for Eriksen, it's hard to tell. Kante would be a dream, if the rumored price (80m) is true, I wouldn't hesitate much. Would improve us where we lack, speed, mobility, ground covered.. thus freeing Messi but also alowing Busquets some freedom.

Another reason I went with Kante (more like a bonus, would vote him anyways) is that I don't want Pogba to win the poll.

FCBfan22

Kante, no question.

Pogba is a bad fit for us, but Kante fits in basically every team, because of his amazing workrate and ball-winning ability.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

So let me get this straight...

All of y'all would rather bench Rakitic, Roberto, Arthur and/or Busi in favor of Kante? Just because he is strong, fast and can run all over the pitch and make tackles?

I'm not saying he isn't a world class DM, but he would essentially be like Mascherano was at DM when he first came. He's a great player but I doubt he'd fit in well in a system where he needs to pass the ball intelligently without the space he is used to having by playing on more direct, counter-attacking oriented teams.

"But we could play a pivot of Busi-Kante..." and again, sacrifice offensive quality which is something we need a lot more imho?

I guess I am just sick and tired of the "physical MF" narrative here. The best player who fits that category has been Rakitic and his success here is rather relative. Just about every other physical CM we have signed since Alex Song has flopped massively here and I'm sorry but I think Kante would do the same here.

Thiago all day. Also, for a lot of the qualities people like in Kante, I see Roberto having all of that plus a better understanding of our style and offensive contribution.

Last edited:

BarçaBarça

Kante to be the world-class workhorse we have missed. A midfielder who can actually run...

I would be fine with Pogba as a player, but I could do without all the fuss and drama coming along. And he would cost 150-200M for United not to lose face, we won't pay that, tbh.
Thiago would be great, but he is simply too injured (if we can choose freely). If he is realistic and the others aren't, I'd say 'go for him'.

In the end I would prefer any one of them over Gomes/Denis/Rafinha. Alenã only be fit late this year, Rakitic has played more than any footballer ever this year and Arthur hasn't played in Europe before. We desperately need a new midfielder.

Home of Barca Fans