Barca-related Open Thread

FCBfan22

Disappointed with Barca legends and their lack of criticism of the current affairs. Xavi and co have surely been watching the shit football Barca produced in last two years and yet no comments.

I never believed I would say this but if I was in charge I'd let Messi go as well as clearly he is the one who decides.

Would be more excited for next season if we played kids and started building something new on healthy foundations and playing the Barca way.

Well, as I said in other topics, I disagree about letting Messi go. I think we should sell/bench the other seniors, but keep Leo, because he has proven this year again that he can win La Liga almost on his own. Start rebuilding and keep Leo as a force that keeps us on a certain level, while we switch most of the team out (+coach, of course).

That said, Pique and Busi should be benched/sold immediately. Suarez, Coutinho and Rakitić should be sold. Alba should get a great LB to compete with. The players like Rafinha, Gomes, Denis etc... should be sold.

Then you use the funds to build a new core while Leo is keeping us on a certain level.

snowy

Disappointed with Barca legends and their lack of criticism of the current affairs. Xavi and co have surely been watching the shit football Barca produced in last two years and yet no comments.

I never believed I would say this but if I was in charge I'd let Messi go as well as clearly he is the one who decides.

Would be more excited for next season if we played kids and started building something new on healthy foundations and playing the Barca way.

Damn, this really shows how much Barto fucked it up!

Boj, if you get the chance, check out this movie or read the Nabokov novel.

Leo is not as aloof as the protagonist but he's kinda similar. Seems to me, he's never been the take charge, interfering type. + Look at the shady history of this board.
These snakes would throw their mamas off da chou-chou just to get an xtra peseta :lol:

They're so toxic even Barca legends don't wanna get involved. Now imagine Leo thrown in the pit. They'd eat him alive and sap all the life-force out of him. Worse than Argentina and the coke head radona.

Anyhoo, keep mackin bruh, I'm outie :) :wave: back to Asgard (*´▽`*)

edit: haha that trailer is hilarious! bs when it comes to Leo but the part where uncle flo says: "he doesn't play well under pressure".

And crossing fingers here we don't get more of the deValv's signature DeLusion Defence next year :giggle:

but srlsy, here's dedicating this 1000th post to the Blaugranas jammin smoooth artistic Blues again :guitar:

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Damn, this really shows how much Barto fucked it up!

Boj, if you get the chance, check out this movie or read the Nabokov novel.

Leo is not as aloof as the protagonist but he's kinda similar. Seems to me, he's never been the take charge, interfering type. + Look at the shady history of this board.
These snakes would throw their mamas off da chou-chou just to get an xtra peseta :lol:

They're so toxic even Barca legends don't wanna get involved. Now imagine Leo thrown in the pit. They'd eat him alive and sap all the life-force out of him. Worse than Argentina and the coke head radona.

Anyhoo, keep mackin bruh, I'm outie :) :wave: back to Asgard (*´▽`*)

edit: haha that trailer is hilarious! bs when it comes to Leo but the part where uncle flo says: "he doesn't play well under pressure".

And crossing fingers here we don't get more of the deValv's signature DeLusion Defence next year :giggle:

but srlsy, here's dedicating this 1000th post to the Blaugranas jammin smoooth artistic Blues again :guitar:

Seen the movie. Good choice :)

And congratz on your millenium! :yes:

Cule4life

The Culest

No player is bigger than the club. If Messi doesn't want us to sell/bench his buddy Suarez, he can follow him out the door.

Messi983

15606247033407.jpg

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The very authoritative football finances writer Swiss Ramble had a very expansive analysis on our finances as of the end of the 17/18 season. I have every reason to believe the situation had gotten worse last season since our post-tax earnings shrank to 4.5m, dropping from 18m in 16/17 and 13m in 17/18, indicating that our expenses have increased in a rate faster than our revenues. Staff cost/player salary kept rising as we brought Griezmann and De Jong onboard and only offloaded lower wager earners such as Gomes, Denis Suarez and Malcom etc.

[tw]1062250988575309824[/tw]

By his count we did have a total liabilities of 888m by the end of the 17/18 season.
[tw]1062254407583232000[/tw]

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Starting last year I decided to talk about the whole transfer market and the squad and my view of it after the transfer window is over.
Wanted to do it over a week ago but was busy, so here we go.

A summary of our summer is this way:
We signed 4 player this past off-season: Neto,Firpo,Griezmann & FDJ
In addition to some former Barca B departures, we have loaned Rafinha,Coutinho, sold Malcom & Jasper while managing to finally sell Denis & Gomes too. Vermaelen contract was over while we also said goodbye to Boateng and Murillo. Wague is the only player that got officially promoted from Barca B.

Current squad (not counting Barca B players) consists of 21 players, I remember Pep and Cruijff saying that 20-22 is usually the right number to work with, gives coach ability to work with all players while making room for potential Barca B prospects. So while as a number squad seem thin, it is within an acceptable range.

Removing Coutinho was important, but not selling him was bad news, Rafinha deal is ok-ish. Long Neymar saga was the taking of the summer Raki not leaving after trying to force him out wasn't good either.

Now having a deeper look in our squad:
GK: MATS & Neto. No complains out there, since Pinto arrival we always had a very good back up GK (except last 2 years of Pinto) and this year is no exception. Jasper was a bit better but we know that there will always be a rapid turnover process for back up GK.

Defense: As a RB Semedo is gonna get the keys for the position from the start and it is up to him to keep it, a young Wague will get a chance to prove himself while Roberto will always be there when he is needed. Depth is well covered, but the question remains whether we really have a real world class RB? Semedo lacks offensive ability that is needed for RB, and he has some positioning problem especially in crosses (though I don't blame him for Osasuna goal) but his speed and physical abilities are perfect for a full back. at almost 26 he is supposed to be at his peak. Roberto is one of my favorites and I like his game offensively but he has problems against pacey wingers. Wague is very raw. I think such position is still a problem but at least this year we will have a clear answer if we actually have someone good enough or we should be back at the market for a new RB.

In LB Alba is still one of the elite LB left in the game, but his bad games has been costly in past few years. He is now 30 and he is a player who counts on his speed. For the time being we are in good hands with him, Firpo fill a huge need as a back up. Time will tell if he has a future here or he is just another usual stop gap for Alba like Digne before him.

CB is one of my main concerns this year, Pique is still consistent most of the time, Lenglet is solid too. But I still think their partnership isn't successful one for club like Barca, Pique needs an athletic CB beside him, someone like Puyol/Mascherano/Umtiti. Even other names that was used there beside him successfully whether as back up or sporadically was Yaya/Abidal/Mathieu and all were athletic. Lenglet isn't that athletic and if we want to play with high line or press opponents you need that athletic CB. Umtiti fits the bill if he is back in form, but this doesn't seem like something that is ever going to happen. Todibo is young and a bit too green. Would like to see him more. Also Pique is too old. FDJ will serve as 5th option if needed. But one major injury to any CB and we are in trouble. It is a ticking bomb.

Midfield: FDJ has arrived and he is everyone new favorite Barca not named Messi. He brings youth and hope for Barca midfield. But FDJ is a different players than Busquets, who has been most important players in Barca midfield in recent years (would argue since 2012) and that is important.
He has a question mark on him: Is he a DM or CM? and if he is the former how long is it going to take for him to adapt to our style and/or for the team to adapt to him?
His fit with Arthur could be questioned, but this is something that should be worked out for our future, Arthur himself left us last season with few questions regarding his stamina (leading to question his defense) and his offensive ability. Against Osasuna he seems to answer the questions about his offense at least, and if he retains it this is huge news for Barca.
For me a successful partnership between Arthur & FDJ in midfield is the key for our season success. The 3rd player remains to be question. Busquets/Rakitic/Alena/Vidal still there and that seem one player too much. With 3 of them are 31 or older, and as entitled veterans this could prove problematic. Alena would need minutes to prove his worth (or not) and that is probably why we allowed Rafinha to leave. Alena is also capable of playing a bit on the wing but that seems unlikely with Perez and Fati.

Attack: Griezmann was the summer biggest purchase. An elite footballers and probably a top 5 player of his generation. But Barca had there fair share of big transfers failures especially in past dozen of years. Griezmann played into a totally different system than Barca, has been occupying Messi position for years and hasn't played as a winger for years. In addition he is 28 in a team that is hungry for youth.
His fit in attack is the biggest question, not his quality. a Messi/Suarez/Griezmann attack looks too static for me especially when RB doesn't stretch attack for us. Dembele is still here, and would still get ton of minutes, but this year no excuse for him. It is "make it or break it" type of season for his Barca career. despite being fairly young - he is younger than FDJ for example- but this is his 5th year in top 5 leagues and 3rd in Barca. He is the only 1st team wing who provide us with width. So he need to step up. Messi is Messi, one year older but most likely will remain best player in the world.
Fati is a very interesting prospect, good to see him getting minutes here and there, but this season he obviously belongs to Juvenil A & Barca B. Perez is a Cuenca/Tello type of back up. Can be rotation player for couple of years.

Coach: The most hated person on this forum. I still have the same opinion on EV like last year, he is a coach to get you the league if you have good pieces, he can get you to a certain point but never further. But 3rd year is usually tough when you are with a team of veterans. And last year I thought it would have been the best if it was his last.
That being said, early signs he seems motivated to go with more youthful approach than last years. And he has a decent start with that IMO, for me it is essential for that to continue for the long term success.

For me, I don't think we are well built. We are still fairly strong but vulnerable. Griezmann,Semedo & midfield will be the key to make this season success. Personally the highest priority is knowing what we have and what we don't, while developing what we have.

A developed Arthur & FDJ is a key for the future, if we know what positions they occupy and we are comfortable they are elite duo, that alone is a step forward. If we manage to decide that we have a 3rd midfielder (Roberto/Puig/Alena) then good news, if we found that we don't have 3rd part then identify the type needed and get the missing piece. For example if FDJ is Raki replacement, it might be a good idea to get a DM that is more of spoiler (Kante type), if we decide FDJ is DM then may be a player like Kai would be good?
Deciding if Dembele/Semedo/Alena are part of the future, or move on. Those players have been occupying spots as vital piece for 2 years based on potential. A situation that reminds me of Sanchez/Cesc in 13/14 season.

I know that there "Messi remaining years" but there are years after Messi, and preparing for it starts now. And even during his last years, it is important for him to be the old guy in the team rather than having a team from his generation, and change can be costly. People always expect it to be smooth and quick but that is rare.

One last aspect, the club seem to continue to invest highly in Youth. They made changes in the academy hierarchy that was widely welcomed, decided who they wanted to keep and did everything to renew while not accepting the same from others they didn't rate that high. Loaning process is still there with Oriol and Miranda moving to other clubs (on paper this seem the right choices)
But investing in recruiting young players are there, getting Reis,Abe,Akieme,Pedri. All aren't cheap purchases. Thing is while some has got us some profit we rarely benefited from those investments as 1st team. Motta is the only one I remember who was anything more than an end of the bench player who was purchased for Barca B.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Players are spineless and characterless pussies. Apparently, Slavia Prague players were excited to share jerseys with players they look up to and our amigos just walked away without shaking hands. Marc Andre the Stegen was the gentleman though and took time to congratulate the opposition goalie and compliment him on a good game.

Not the first time I hear this un-sportsmanlike behaviour by Barca players.

soul24rage

Players are spineless and characterless pussies. Apparently, Slavia Prague players were excited to share jerseys with players they look up to and our amigos just walked away without shaking hands. Marc Andre the Stegen was the gentleman though and took time to congratulate the opposition goalie and compliment him on a good game.

Not the first time I hear this un-sportsmanlike behaviour by Barca players.

Man, if that is true, very disappointed in them.

LABarcaFan

Some interesting news as of today - Dec. 09/19.

Barcelona based Mundo Deportivo claims that Inter are interested in Iv.Rakitic and A.Vidal.

Lautaro Martinez agent, Beto Yaque will meet with Barcelona this week, before the teams CL game.

Barcelona are ready to pay 110 mil. euro buyout for Lautaro.

If both sides agree on a deal, A.Vidal can go to Milan for 40 mil. euro. In that case, Barcelona will have to pay for Lautaro - 70 mil euro

AC Milan, Manch. Utd and Atletico Madrid are also interested in Ivan Rakitic. The Croatian international prefers to stay in La Liga and has started to look for a home in Madrid.

AC Milan is also interested in Jean Clear Todibo and would like to get him in January.

LABarcaFan

Barcelona are looking for central forward to replace Luis Suarez till the end of the season. The rules of the Royal Football Federation (RFF) are allowing a teams to sign a player, outside of the transfer window if the club has seriously injured player, who will stay out of the games for at least 5 months. Barcelona has already sent request for a signing and are waiting for approval from the federation. There are four names that are circulating in the media these days: Lucas Perez (Alaves), Angel Rodriguez (Getafe), Borja Iglesias (Real Betis) and Cristhian Stuani (Girona).

Barcelona are said to already be in touch with Lucas Perez over a possible signing. He has 15 million release clause. 31 y.o., but still in very good shape - 22 games - 9 goals and 4 assists.
Lucas Perez.jpg

Home of Barca Fans