Barca-related Open Thread

Vilarrubi

Lucho before 2015 Champions League Final:

"The worst thing that could happen to you today is to be a Juventus player and have to face Barca!"

"Imagine we are at Juventus team talk. And Im talking to you about Barca. You’d be shitting yourselves! No two ways about it!?

GOAT mentality from Lucho, bit of a difference from Ernesto ‘tough opponent’ Valverde.

Alik

Lucho before 2015 Champions League Final:

"The worst thing that could happen to you today is to be a Juventus player and have to face Barca!"

"Imagine we are at Juventus team talk. And Im talking to you about Barca. You’d be shitting yourselves! No two ways about it!?

GOAT mentality from Lucho, bit of a difference from Ernesto ‘tough opponent’ Valverde.

True. Dani Alves also gave an interview about that final recently:

"I remember pretty much everything about the final," the Brazilian said. "It's very recent and not a lot of time has passed since then.

"I remember it was a very special moment, but also a tough one on a personal and collective level. People thought we couldn't win another treble and were supporting our opponents to stop us doing it.

"We were aware that people thought we could not do it. When you are prepared to face that, it's unlikely negative things happen.

"That is Barcelona's secret in finals: they are always prepared. We were up against very physical opponents and we knew we had to win by having the ball.

"It does not matter how strong your opponents are if you have them chasing after the ball so that they get tired. The moment they let their guard down is the moment to attack.

"We were like Muhammad Ali as we floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee. I think we were deserving winners of the final and we celebrated a lot as we had repeated the treble."

KingLeo10

The great thing about supporting Barcelona is that most of our CL winning teams have been special teams. I can only point to the 1992 team as not being one of the top 10-15 ever in the history of the competition (in the modern era). 09/11/15 are arguably top 5 and 05-06 is in the 10-15 range.

For Madrid, their 16/17 team is arguably top 5 and 13/14 is in the 5-10 range. Can't speak to their 1950s team.

For Bayern, their 12/13 is the 5-10 range. Can't speak to their 1970s team.

Messi983

AS] |The coach of Messi and Piqu? in Cadet A, new head of scouting for Bar?a

?lex Garc?a, debutant with Cruyff in the Bar?a first team, replaces Boada

He directed the generation of '87, which includes Messi, Piqu? and Cesc

Messigician

V?ctor Font (Presidential candidate): "We are quite clear that if there is no project similar to ours, we run the risk of becoming a new AC Milan, a club with many titles that no longer competes."

PhilS

At least we can still see a really good team play when we tune into Barca games. It's really quite something that pretty much every Barca opponent these days looks like a very fine team.
And we still get little sparks from our team, like when an old dog can still liven up for short bursts.

Vilarrubi

Barca 2055/56 season squad:

EcLaDlnXgAc0pNn

Vilarrubi

Official: Five substitutions will be allowed next season. However, each competition will be free to decide whether they want to make use of it. [via sky sports]

JamDav1982

Official: Five substitutions will be allowed next season. However, each competition will be free to decide whether they want to make use of it. [via sky sports]

That was announced yesterday but there is already a feeling that EPL may not pass it as the teams vote and mat be seen as too big advantage for the bigger clubs.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
The most important thing for you now is to get a manager to create a vision and an identity for the team as you've lost that since Xavi and Iniesta have retired. Players are getting older, a lot of money has been spent on players not needed for the roles you wanted them to fit into i.e. Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann and you've allowed a collection of players to grow old together. Pique, Rakitic, Busquets and Suarez to grow older together with Messi and signing Vidal didn't help with that situation.

Whether the choice for you guys is to follow what you did previously with Pep and what Real have done with Zidane and hire Xavi as manager, who knows. I don't. It could work as well as those two or perhaps not.

There is also the need and planning now for a world post Messi as he isn't getting any younger. The first port of call for any potential new manager would be how would they create a vision with the team in a post Messi world, considering they'll have him for a year or two. So transitioning from those years with him and going forward without him. But whoever you appoint the cycle of giving a year or two needs to stop. So the next appointment must be the right one.

Saying all this you'll probably win the CL now!!

Last edited:

JohnN

The most important thing for you now is to get a manager to create a vision and an identity for the team as you've lost that since Xavi and Iniesta have retired. Players are getting older, a lot of money has been spent on players not needed for the roles you wanted them to fit into i.e. Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann and you've allowed a collection of players to grow old together. Pique, Rakitic, Busquets and Suarez to grow older together with Messi and signing Vidal didn't help with that situation.

Whether the choice for you guys is to follow what you did previously with Pep and what Real have done with Zidane and hire Xavi as manager, who knows. I don't. It could work as well as those two or perhaps not.

There is also the need and planning now for a world post Messi as he isn't getting any younger. The first port of call for any potential new manager would be how would they create a vision with the team in a post Messi world, considering they'll have him for a year or two. So transitioning from those years with him and going forward without him. But whoever you appoint the cycle of giving a year or two needs to stop. So the next appointment must be the right one.

Saying all this you'll probably win the CL now!!

That's a good take, although we can't win CL even if we pay for it. If la liga was won, at least the mentality would be there. Now the team is disconnected and mentally broken.
Setien has lost the dressing room, as they don't believe in him.
Messi has lost hope, which is the exact opposite of what we would need.
Suarez is our only CF - thankfully no away games..
Busi is our only DM - 1 goal disadvantage from the get go.

Things have turned to shit really.

Home of Barca Fans