Barca-related Open Thread

Joan

All big clubs out there playing youngsters during the preseason. Hope we take the same path and leave fringe players like Douglas, Mina, Vidal, Gomes at home.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
All big clubs out there playing youngsters during the preseason. Hope we take the same path and leave fringe players like Douglas, Mina, Vidal, Gomes at home.

Most of the big clubs are trying to get younger and try to give their young players, whether they're academy players or already in the squad some time during the season against some relatively easier opponents.

Here we are trying to sign Willian for 70m.

Forget it.

JamDav1982

Most of the big clubs are trying to get younger and try to give their young players, whether they're academy players or already in the squad some time during the season against some relatively easier opponents.

Here we are trying to sign Willian for 70m.

Forget it.

Barca are also signing younger players.

Not sure many of the bigger clubs are making any massive efforts to get younger in comparison.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
They have to play well enough to be trusted also.

You think EV will ignore all 'young' players this season?

Considering the money being spent on a 30 year old inconsistent winger(I know you love him) one is guaranteed to be left out of any meaningful game.

JamDav1982

Considering the money being spent on a 30 year old inconsistent winger(I know you love him) one is guaranteed to be left out of any meaningful game.

Nah dont love him just think he would improve squad.

Lets see how season pans out. Dont think younger players will not be given a chance if they are performing.

Joan

Guys, so... I can't sleep, it's raining cats and dogs so I go through some forums, football-related, not football-related... and what do I come across? Zincubus/TitoTata praising Barcaforum and our ChatBoxes, using some past comments as arguments and claiming it's fun and all. Can we have him back, Sirs?

PhilS

I don't think any kind of signing will dramatically increase our strength (we have abundance of talent) unless entire team kicks up the work-rate.

In the first 11, the only spot that I see as a question mark is Dembele at RW, with the team continuing most of the time in the 4-4-2. Semedo, Cillesson and Vermailen are excellent depth, though if the latter two leave, replacements must be acquired. Valverde does not value Digne, so an acquisition is needed to replace him. I hope Arthur and Linglet can be excellent depth, looking forward to seeing them both prove that. If Semedo continues his excellent integration and development so far, I think S. Roberto can provide excellent depth at up to 5 more positions in addition to RB.

I agree about the work-rate, which would require more rotations and substitutions. The higher work-rate would have to include playing more 4-3-3, with both Dembele and Continho up front to the sides of one of Messi or Suarez. With the current roster, playing 4-3-3 resting Messi or Suarez would require either Arthur or S. Roberto to prove they can start in midfield.

No roster additions are needed if:
Dembele can step up to show he deserves to be in the first 11,
if either Arthur or S. Roberto can show they deserve big minutes as midfield depth,
and if either Paco or Munir can step up this pre-season so that Valverde will trust them as depth behind Messi/Suarez.

To many Ifs for the roster spots 11 through 16 or 17, the key-depth, so I'd like to see William or equivalent added. In the deep-depth chart, lots of deficiencies or not-proven-yet, but no big deal.

PhilS

Wow, that Official Squad for the U.S. Tour would need to overachieve to not be relegated in La Liga. Remove 13 of the best players from the Barca roster, you are not left with a very strong team. But strong and deep at both goalkeeper and RB.

Home of Barca Fans