Barca-related Open Thread

Andresito

Staff member
Don't want to say too much regarding this. But even if the stats in 14/15 were better, I actually enjoyed 08/09 more.
There will always be a difference in beauty between a tactical masterclass vs individual superstars.

ETVUj31WoAEXD04

KingLeo10

Don't want to say too much regarding this. But even if the stats in 14/15 were better, I actually enjoyed 08/09 more.
There will always be a difference in beauty between a tactical masterclass vs individual superstars.

ETVUj31WoAEXD04

Barcelona 14/15 was the greatest statistical season in European football history.

No other European team has won 50 games in a season.

175 goals, 38 conceded in 60 games is also the largest goal differential ever I believe.

33 clean sheets in 60 games.

I'd say strength wise they are about even to 08/09 Barca and just a smidge below 10/11.

By comparison:

Madrid's best season in the modern era (16/17):

164 goals scored, 68 conceded in 57 games. Differential of 96.

Last edited:

soul24rage

the fact that the 08/09 and 14/15 came after our worst seasons in recent time 07/08 and 13/14 made it so much better for me.

KingLeo10

the fact that the 08/09 and 14/15 came after our worst seasons in recent time 07/08 and 13/14 made it so much better for me.

18/19 was also amazing (considering we were low on talent outside of a monstrous Messi) until Anfield. Honestly, we'd have beaten Valencia easily if we hadn't lost our spirit at Anfield.

18/19 stings the most because we could have capped off the best dynastic run in Europe. (5 CLs, 10 Liga in 15 years).

Milan's dynastic run from late 80s to mid 00s was 5 CL, 8 CL finals, and I think 6-7 league titles in 20 years.

Vilarrubi

Honestly, for all of 2015 and until April of 2016, I legit tuned in to games with this mindset:

"How much are we winning by?"

:lol:

Now, I dread any old team will can us.

That’s a good point, Tata’s Barca was one of the most boring and uninspiring ever. Messi suffered under him too. A year later we were one of the most entertaining Barca’s of all time, some might argue the most because we had different aspects to our play other than Pep style possession.

One of many unreal games that season, pure excitement all week waiting for the weekend to watch games like these:

[youtube]dF4o-75GSlI[/youtube]

Messi983

Didn't know where to post this.

Barça TV have Gamper trophy game against Napoli from 2011, also on youtube if anyone would like to watch...

Relive the curtain raiser to Barça's 2011/2012 season against Napoli in the Joan Gamper trophy at the Camp Nou! Spoiler alert...expect GOALS!!

[youtube]liYwrrGosJg[/youtube]

Richard.H

For anyone located in the US, Nike.com is having a huge sale. Picked up the 19/20 home jersey for about $40 after tax.

Andresito

Staff member
So I've decided to watch something Barca related tonight. What are some of the best games we've ever played? No Cl?sicos or finals.

I remember the 1-0 against City being one of the best games we (or Messi) played despite only winning 1-0. The 6-1 vs Celta in 2016 was memorable too.

I have no recollection of the "regular" games from the league from the Pep era which stood out. Any tips?

Richard.H

So I've decided to watch something Barca related tonight. What are some of the best games we've ever played? No Cl?sicos or finals.

I remember the 1-0 against City being one of the best games we (or Messi) played despite only winning 1-0. The 6-1 vs Celta in 2016 was memorable too.

I have no recollection of the "regular" games from the league from the Pep era which stood out. Any tips?

Here are some games from the 2008-2009 la liga season, which is personally my favorite season of Barca:

Espanyol vs Barca, 1-2 (close match and dirty match iirc)
Barca vs Atletico Madrid, 6-1 (we scored 4 goals in 15 minutes, yes 15 minutes! I remember this match having loads of goal scoring chances. Probably the finest display of attacking football you'll see)
Barca vs Real Valladolid, 6-0
Barca vs Valencia, 4-0
Osasuna vs Barca, 2-3 (absolute thriller of a match)
Racing Santander vs Barca, 1-2 (another close game where Barca got two red cards :lol: )
Barca vs Malaga, 6-0
Barca vs Sevilla, 4-0

That should cover a good chunk of matches from 08-09 la liga that were memorable.

I personally went back and rewatched the 2017 UCL remontada vs PSG yesterday. Very special match. Neymar was the highlight that day. I never quite realized how uninvolved messi was that match until I watched again yesterday.

Last edited:

serghei

Basically, almost every home game in CL from the winning campaigns were near masterclasses. The good part about us winning the CL is that we never fluked it. When we've won it it was by smashing everyone and putting on shows, and there's a certain unique appeal to that.

So, take games from 05/06, 08/09, 10/11 and 14/15, especially home games, but also some away games like vs Milan and Chelsea from 2006 (close & tense games we just scraped wins in by showing grit and determination), PSG and City from 2015, Chelsea from 2009 and so on.

In La Liga & Copa, we have had some amazing wins at Camp Nou in the last 15 seasons against Atletico, Sevilla, Bilbao and Valencia, tier 2 teams in Spain (arguably Atletico made the jump to tier 1 since Simeone took over). Many partidazos out there with crazy scores like 5-0, 6-0, 6-1, 5-2 and absolutely incredible performances.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

If you want to go pre-Pep's era, try to look at matches from 2005-06 Champions league.
Or, an extra: look at some matches from 2004-05 season, because, that was a year when Barca's current era started.
In 2003/04, 2nd part of season, we started to click with Rijkaard-Ronaldinho.
And in a summer of 2004, we bought Etoo, Deco, Guily, Larsson, Edmilson, Belletti, basically half of a team.
In 2004/05 season, for the first time since Cruijjf's era, media all around Europe started to say that Barca plays the most beautiful in the world.
In that season, we were unlucky with 4 longterm knee injuries in autumn and players missed the remaining of a season (Motta, Edmilson, Larsson and Gabri).
So, we had only 13-14 players in CL Ko matches and we lost 5:4 to Mou's Chelsea.

But still, that was a season when everything started.
If you'll watch some matches from that season, you will see a beginning of our Barca's DNA style, a lot of beautiful actions.
But also, a very young, hungry and motivated team who was running like crazy (unlike a team from the last few years).

For example, from 2004/05, season, you can check Barcelona:Milan home CL group stage match (Milan lost in a final to Liverpool 3:3 later in that season):

About league matches, back then Samuel Etoo was an absolute beast and in that moment, media used to say that Ronaldinho and Etoo are tied as two best players in the world.
Back then, Etoo was a number 1 for me.
Imo, 2004/05 and 2005/06 was Etoo's peak.

Here are our league goals from that season (2005 La Liga title, after 6 years of waiting since our last league was in 1999').
Again, Etoo was crazy back then:

** Also, another news, I don't know where to write it, our former coach, Radomir Antic has died.
He was our interim coach in a spring of 2003, the last coach before we hired Rijkaard.
A team who was in a horrible form for years has actually started to improve under him, but we had elections in a summer of 2003, and Laporta started a new project.

Thank you for your work, Antic.

Andresito

Staff member
Thanks @Richard.H @serghei @BBZ8800

A lot of good tips.
The problem with older games is the picture quality and even the availability of the game, they're hard to find in watchable quality.

Home of Barca Fans