Victor Font

serghei

They've been mid-table for like 8 years running.

Worst we'll ever be is the 2nd place in La Liga.

:lol:

3rd if we really fuck it up. No way could Sevilla or Valencia realistically finish ahead of us even in the worst case scenarios. Not unless somebody buys these teams and pumps 300-400 million in 2-3 years in transfers.

Last edited:

Tackle

I could see 4th in an awful year.

Madrid and Atletico finishing above us and a surprise club like Valencia, Villareal or Sevilla having an exceedingly excellent campaign.

It was not that long ago we finished 4th, or even 6th for that matter...

It can still happen in the modern day without the right recruitment and management. Messi won't be around forever.

xXKonan

Laporta is a guy that brags about his accomplishments and Nostalgia duiring his time as President.

Victor Font I like his ideas but his insistence of pandering towards some Barca Twitter personalities can get really annoying. the "AC Milan/United" Comment is bascially that. Those two clubs had two entirely different issues happen to them in the past decade or so that I can't see us going down that route.

Birdy

If someone is capable in instilling financial stability, this is Font much more than Laporta, Rossel, Bertomeu and anyone else.
He is experience in the market already, and has pinpointed problems in how the economic institution of Barca exploits only a fraction of its market assets.
IMO, his comments about AC Milan and UTD are not offending, especially in the former case. They themselves say that.
His recent interview by Guillem Ballague is worth listenting to.

Now, Laporta is acting like an old-fashioned politician, selling nostalgia and big promises (like Pep coming back). This should annoy everyone, first of all because it's not OK in the current situation that the club is in to lie about the prospective coach (Pep has said million times he will never coach Barca again, and will only come to retire and become youth coach).
Secondly, because Liverpool just won the EPL, after the UCL last year. When you have the most successful model of management in front of you, and that is the outcome of a sporting project and planning, it's irritating to act like we are still in 03 and you spread empty promises with no plan whatsoever...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't mind his comments about Milan and Man Utd. Rosell won in 2010 based on talking about the club's finances and employing a similar strategy. A lot of this is politics. Font can come up with a full manifesto about what he's planning to do and where he will improve the club, but little of that will matter when most of the voters are locals based in Catalunya and other parts of Spain that don't have time for that and get most of their news from the likes of Mundo Deportivo, Sport, L'Esportiu, ARA, Catalunya Radio, TV3, etc.

For them headlines sell and for voters the fear of their club suffering on and off the field sells.

Let's be honest, how many people will actually follow candidates that truly go in depth about their plans? Just look at world politics lol.

I don't think either of those clubs will care too much about this. They're all businessmen and whoever of Laporta, Font or Roche that are elected will start with a clean slate and hopefully decent relations with most teams and repair some of the broken ones caused by the current board.

I'm wary of Jordi Roche given his close relationship to Sandro Rosell. The last thing this club need is Rosell and his buddies infesting the club for another 6+ years.

Looking forward to learn more about him when we get closer to the elections.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

If someone is capable in instilling financial stability, this is Font much more than Laporta, Rossel, Bertomeu and anyone else.
He is experience in the market already, and has pinpointed problems in how the economic institution of Barca exploits only a fraction of its market assets.
IMO, his comments about AC Milan and UTD are not offending, especially in the former case. They themselves say that.
His recent interview by Guillem Ballague is worth listenting to.

Now, Laporta is acting like an old-fashioned politician, selling nostalgia and big promises (like Pep coming back). This should annoy everyone, first of all because it's not OK in the current situation that the club is in to lie about the prospective coach (Pep has said million times he will never coach Barca again, and will only come to retire and become youth coach).
Secondly, because Liverpool just won the EPL, after the UCL last year. When you have the most successful model of management in front of you, and that is the outcome of a sporting project and planning, it's irritating to act like we are still in 03 and you spread empty promises with no plan whatsoever...

Few things:
-Bartou is actually a successful business man himself, and most of board member came from the business field. I don't see Font being an advantage in that regard. The club already doing well in getting revenues and Font ideas seem like a sales man campaigning than a realistic ones.

-Font also doesn't really campaign better than Laporta, his campaign depends a lot on attacking current board, just like Laporta did in 2015, except this time Font isn't even running against current board. His approach is weird.

-His proposed plans aren't solid plans either, his putting all his eggs on Xavi basket. What if Xavi turns out a terrible coach? What is he going to do? Other than that he talks same generalised ideas of bringing back La Masia. The truth is current board actually tried that approach, they are probably the biggest spenders on youth in any board before. It is just they fail to execute it.
Bartou actually cared about La Masia and Barca DNA, but he is just terrible in developing them. Although I think we are doing better with Kluivert.
Font is selling same thing but what makes us think he will do better than them.

-Pep publicly endorsed Laporta last election, he is a great friend of his, if there is any chance he will come back it will be under him. Pep will face a huge decision for his future in 2021. I don't think the idea of coming back is bad either. And he might not come as a coach necessary, he can act as a SD or board member if he wants (and not necessary right away, but midway during his term). Pep actually said before he is interested in coming back in different position.
Also Laporta has larger network related to club which would help him.

-Laporta also seem to be playing politics in this election, he knows the effect of media and having powerful people endorsing you in elections. He has made peace with Rossell, he stopped attacking media and lowered his tune with current board. I think he will try to win media on his side which can alone win him elections. This isn't bad strategy either. Laporta is favorite to win election by landslide, huge advantage over Font and all he need is to play it safe with media so that he won't fuck up. There is more in campaigning than going to podcasts and talking to Argentinian media

-Also, what is different between 2003 and current Liverpool team? They rebuilt with same approach we did in 2003. Sport project in front of you and follow through it. The main difference is we started it with star and stronger academy than they did. They hired a more proven coach.

I don't have a problem with people calling out Laporta, but the whole "Font" and big plans are just bunch of bs IMO, his campaigns is nothing but a selling pitch. I don't hold that against him btw since he need to sell himself to socios while being completely unknown, but at the end he needs to put a competent team if he wants to execute anything.

It comes down to this: If you think Font can put a world class team while thinking Laporta is outdated it is cool to prefer him, if you think Laporta is the proven choice and can repeat success while Font is just a full of bs type it is normal to prefer Laporta.
Do you trust Xavi to have complete authority over sporting project that you risk everything with him? Or you want to start with SD who start sporting project and put Xavi or someone else as coach?

At the end I think both seem like better choices than current boar, so at least there is that.

Alik

I don't mind his comments about Milan and Man Utd. Rosell won in 2010 based on talking about the club's finances and employing a similar strategy. A lot of this is politics. Font can come up with a full manifesto about what he's planning to do and where he will improve the club, but little of that will matter when most of the voters are locals based in Catalunya and other parts of Spain that don't have time for that and get most of their news from the likes of Mundo Deportivo, Sport, L'Esportiu, ARA, Catalunya Radio, TV3, etc.

For them headlines sell and for voters the fear of their club suffering on and off the field sells.

Let's be honest, how many people will actually follow candidates that truly go in depth about their plans? Just look at world politics lol.

I don't think either of those clubs will care too much about this. They're all businessmen and whoever of Laporta, Font or Roche that are elected will start with a clean slate and hopefully decent relations with most teams and repair some of the broken ones caused by the current board.

I'm wary of Jordi Roche given his close relationship to Sandro Rosell. The last thing this club need is Rosell and his buddies infesting the club for another 6+ years.

Looking forward to learn more about him when we get closer to the elections.

Grupo Godo will be throwing their support behind Jordi Roche while Mediapro will be supporting Font.

Although Rosell is a friend of Roche, it is not yet clear who he will be supporting (and whether that would have a positive impact or not).

If Roche wins, Xavi probably won't be the first name on the list as a manager, as they see him as too inexperienced.

Birdy

Few things:
-Bartou is actually a successful business man himself, and most of board member came from the business field. I don't see Font being an advantage in that regard. The club already doing well in getting revenues and Font ideas seem like a sales man campaigning than a realistic ones.

-Font also doesn't really campaign better than Laporta, his campaign depends a lot on attacking current board, just like Laporta did in 2015, except this time Font isn't even running against current board. His approach is weird.

-His proposed plans aren't solid plans either, his putting all his eggs on Xavi basket. What if Xavi turns out a terrible coach? What is he going to do? Other than that he talks same generalised ideas of bringing back La Masia. The truth is current board actually tried that approach, they are probably the biggest spenders on youth in any board before. It is just they fail to execute it.
Bartou actually cared about La Masia and Barca DNA, but he is just terrible in developing them. Although I think we are doing better with Kluivert.
Font is selling same thing but what makes us think he will do better than them.

-Pep publicly endorsed Laporta last election, he is a great friend of his, if there is any chance he will come back it will be under him. Pep will face a huge decision for his future in 2021. I don't think the idea of coming back is bad either. And he might not come as a coach necessary, he can act as a SD or board member if he wants (and not necessary right away, but midway during his term). Pep actually said before he is interested in coming back in different position.
Also Laporta has larger network related to club which would help him.

-Laporta also seem to be playing politics in this election, he knows the effect of media and having powerful people endorsing you in elections. He has made peace with Rossell, he stopped attacking media and lowered his tune with current board. I think he will try to win media on his side which can alone win him elections. This isn't bad strategy either. Laporta is favorite to win election by landslide, huge advantage over Font and all he need is to play it safe with media so that he won't fuck up. There is more in campaigning than going to podcasts and talking to Argentinian media

-Also, what is different between 2003 and current Liverpool team? They rebuilt with same approach we did in 2003. Sport project in front of you and follow through it. The main difference is we started it with star and stronger academy than they did. They hired a more proven coach.

I don't have a problem with people calling out Laporta, but the whole "Font" and big plans are just bunch of bs IMO, his campaigns is nothing but a selling pitch. I don't hold that against him btw since he need to sell himself to socios while being completely unknown, but at the end he needs to put a competent team if he wants to execute anything.

It comes down to this: If you think Font can put a world class team while thinking Laporta is outdated it is cool to prefer him, if you think Laporta is the proven choice and can repeat success while Font is just a full of bs type it is normal to prefer Laporta.
Do you trust Xavi to have complete authority over sporting project that you risk everything with him? Or you want to start with SD who start sporting project and put Xavi or someone else as coach?

At the end I think both seem like better choices than current boar, so at least there is that.

First of all, Guillem Ballague is a reputable, well-known journalist and not some Argentinian media that no one listens to.

Here are a few points as an answer:

1) There was no 'sporting project' in the same sense we used it today when Laporta was elected.
Laporta promised Beckham, that was enough back then. A big promise was enough to win you the elections.
Of course he didn't deliver Beckham (hence he has a track record of making promises unable to deliver), but Ronaldinho instead, which worked in our favor. But that's serendipity, and not planning.
Yes, under him some good signings were made, the team became competitive again, won CL etc
But, if it was not for Pep, Laporta' s management would be just Okish.
Pep was also serendipity. Credit to Laporta for taking the risk with someone so inexperienced, but no one could imagine back them that Pep was the new coaching genius, the new Messiah of football.

It doesn't seem to me that his actions were much different from Rossel - Bartomeu.
There was as much 'planning' and 'project' involved in signing Ronalidhno and Eto, as it was in signing Coutinho and Dembele. The former worked, the latter did not, but not because of a plan that was vindicated in the former case.

So, let's seriously take into account to what extent and which aspects we give credit to Laporta for.
And let's think how much of a 'project' he put in place

2) World has changed hell lot since '03.
Liverpool's fate the last years is revealing.
When FSG took over, Liverpool had Roy Hodgson as a head coach, Kenny Daglish as interim, were mid-table, terrible to watch, with no identity and no aspirations.
Since then, they put a proper 'sporting project' in place, with people of expertise employed in all different departments, respecting each department's autonomy and making each of them a cog into the wheel for the whole institution to work.
Most notably, they started a robust 'Data and Analytics' department before everyone else, hiring even people with PhD in theoretical physics from Cambridge, and now they are light years ahead of other clubs in that department.

Anyone who has seen this, who has seen how much a project and a plan can transform a club, should demand precisely the same for Barca.
And the only candidate promising that atm is Font.

3) Font does not say we hire Xavi and throw all our faith on him.
That's precisely what Laporta says about Pep (which is a fake promise, see below why), and that's of course insufficient, it's an old-fashioned promise that has nothing to do with a fully fleshed project as Liverpool's.

Font has said many times that coach alone is not enough, that you need all the other elements in place before you can give the keys to someone.
Listen to the interview i posted. When asked about Xavi becoming the coach now under Bartomeu, he said 'yes, but that's not only what i mean', outlining that coach alone is not enough.
He said countless times he will try to find the right people all around the globe who can hold all the key positions to make a project work, on the business side (CEO) as well as the sporting side, and that's also not only a SD, but people responsible in all different departments from the ground up (just as Liverpool did it).

It's at best a misrepresentation to say that Font is promising Xavi as a coach and that's it.
He started working on the project he is presenting since 2013. At least this shows some seriousness.

3) Pep is eternally grateful to Laporta for giving him the chance to coach the first team. And that's why he endorsed him, and he will continue to support him.
But does that mean he is coming back to coach Barca?

Pep is NOT coming back as a coach of the first team ever.
He has said it so many times. He will come back to retire and coach youth teams. Not as a SD, or in any other post.
Lapota knows all that, but he is deliberately hiding it from media and fans.
Was he given the confirmation of Pep that he is coming back to coach? No! He is just name-dropping (Contrary to Font, who has discussed and agreed with Xavi before throwing his name)
That's why he is using 'cloudy' wordings (like 'i have a feeling that Pep will ...') which he can take back later on, after this fake promise wins him the election.

And that's my problem with his campaign (apart from the fact that it's old-fashioned).
He is trying to gain an illegitimate advantage.

And of course Font is not stupid. Anyone thinks if he could have Pep back, he would not take that?
He even said that in the interview i posted, he said i would love to have Pep, but he does not want to come back.

4) You say Bartomeu and co were successful in business. Idk about that, but we all know how they mishandled Barcelona's budget and how they put their own interest before the club's (like Pjanic-Arthur swap).
Do we have any guarantee that Font will succeed on that front? No.
But his experience with Delta partners, in telecommunications and business, seems already much more substantial that the experience all of Laporta, Rossell, Bartomeu had before taking the helm.

Finally, I am not expert in finances and business, but what Font is saying seems pretty reasonable: that Barca as an economic institution is still a medium sized company compared to multi-nationals, and despite the revenue it does not generate enough benefits, that economic impact is hampered by inter-mediation of agents in selling services and products, and that the brand name of Fc Barcelona has not been sufficiently monetized all over the globe.
Maybe someone here who is related to the field can tell us if that's a sound claim.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

First of all, Guillem Ballague is a reputable, well-known journalist and not some Argentinian media that no one listens to.

I know who is Ballague, I don't agree with reputable part. And with Argentinian I referred to Font recent interview there.

1) There was no 'sporting project' in the same sense we used it today when Laporta was elected.
Laporta promised Beckham, that was enough back then. A big promise was enough to win you the elections.
Of course he didn't deliver Beckham (hence he has a track record of making promises unable to deliver), but Ronaldinho instead, which worked in our favor. But that's serendipity, and not planning.
Yes, under him some good signings were made, the team became competitive again, won CL etc
But, if it was not for Pep, Laporta' s management would be just Okish.
Pep was also serendipity. Credit to Laporta for taking the risk with someone so inexperienced, but no one could imagine back them that Pep was the new coaching genius, the new Messiah of football.

It doesn't seem to me that his actions were much different from Rossel - Bartomeu.
There was as much 'planning' and 'project' involved in signing Ronalidhno and Eto, as it was in signing Coutinho and Dembele. The former worked, the latter did not, but not because of a plan that was vindicated in the former case.

So, let's seriously take into account to what extent and which aspects we give credit to Laporta for.
And let's think how much of a 'project' he put in place

It was a true sporting project under Laporta, that worked well in all sports of the club from football to handball. before Pep Laporta presidency was already a historical one.

I think you are having a confusion over difference between campaigns and actions.
Laporta campaigned used signing because he knew this is how he wins (and was wrong to use it in 2015 as we were already most stacked super team in the world)
Once elected, he put the sporting project in hands of 2 people in Crujif & Txiki while putting an elite board to support the club. Same thing was done in handball and basketball with good success at various times. That isn't some random things.

What Liverpool did was more or less a copy of Laporta textbook. Difference is Laporta hire people who makes those decisions. Txiki & Crujif both believed in both Rijkaard & Pep and he played along with them. When many board members wanted an established name over Pep with the likes of Lippi and Mourinho available (and Laporta himself was thinking about those guys) he still put trust in his football advisors.

Never mind La Masia was working greatly under him, club as a whole was really functioning on all cylinders.

So yes, i take into account to what extent Laporta should get credit, he takes all credit for what happens as a guy who established a solid sporting project.

And this is a reason that I also believe I need to see who is Laporta side kick, can he get an ex-coach as a true advisor like he did with Crujif?

2) World has changed hell lot since '03.
Liverpool's fate the last years is revealing.
When FSG took over, Liverpool had Roy Hodgson as a head coach, Kenny Daglish as interim, were mid-table, terrible to watch, with no identity and no aspirations.
Since then, they put a proper 'sporting project' in place, with people of expertise employed in all different departments, respecting each department's autonomy and making each of them a cog into the wheel for the whole institution to work.
Most notably, they started a robust 'Data and Analytics' department before everyone else, hiring even people with PhD in theoretical physics from Cambridge, and now they are light years ahead of other clubs in that department.

Anyone who has seen this, who has seen how much a project and a plan can transform a club, should demand precisely the same for Barca.
And the only candidate promising that atm is Font.

First of, there are plenty of clubs who are having analytical departments like Liverpool, and yes Liverpool did a great job under new American owners, but they still succeeded only when decision making was put in hands of football people who knew what they are doing. This is the most important part of sporting project not PHD people.

And yes, kudos to Font in that area.

3) Font does not say we hire Xavi and throw all our faith on him.
That's precisely what Laporta says about Pep (which is a fake promise, see below why), and that's of course insufficient, it's an old-fashioned promise that has nothing to do with a fully fleshed project as Liverpool's.

Font has said many times that coach alone is not enough, that you need all the other elements in place before you can give the keys to someone.
Listen to the interview i posted. When asked about Xavi becoming the coach now under Bartomeu, he said 'yes, but that's not only what i mean', outlining that coach alone is not enough.
He said countless times he will try to find the right people all around the globe who can hold all the key positions to make a project work, on the business side (CEO) as well as the sporting side, and that's also not only a SD, but people responsible in all different departments from the ground up (just as Liverpool did it).

It's at best a misrepresentation to say that Font is promising Xavi as a coach and that's it.
He started working on the project he is presenting since 2013. At least this shows some seriousness.

3) Pep is eternally grateful to Laporta for giving him the chance to coach the first team. And that's why he endorsed him, and he will continue to support him.
But does that mean he is coming back to coach Barca?

Pep is NOT coming back as a coach of the first team ever.
He has said it so many times. He will come back to retire and coach youth teams. Not as a SD, or in any other post.
Lapota knows all that, but he is deliberately hiding it from media and fans.
Was he given the confirmation of Pep that he is coming back to coach? No! He is just name-dropping (Contrary to Font, who has discussed and agreed with Xavi before throwing his name)
That's why he is using 'cloudy' wordings (like 'i have a feeling that Pep will ...') which he can take back later on, after this fake promise wins him the election.

And that's my problem with his campaign (apart from the fact that it's old-fashioned).
He is trying to gain an illegitimate advantage.

And of course Font is not stupid. Anyone thinks if he could have Pep back, he would not take that?
He even said that in the interview i posted, he said i would love to have Pep, but he does not want to come back.

Two points same number, love it :p
Regarding Pep: It is true that Pep has said he will end his career coaching Barca youth
It is also true he said he will end his career at Brescia, it is also true he said he will not coach in Italy, it is also true he said he will come back but not as a coach, it is also true that Pep called half dozen players the smartest player he ever coached.
You take what Pep said too seriously in that regard, Pep is a legend but his media talking can be meaningless. At the end Pep will make decisions based on best for his future and not based on what he said on the past.

Pep has shown he loves to work with People he is close to, Txiki was the catalyst to his arrival in City. SSo yes, if there is a chance to Pep coming back it will be with Laporta and not Font.

Regarding Xavi, the rumor is that he will have free well on sporting project, he will hire SD and make decisions on scouting department. That is really dangerous, you are making an inexperienced coach the head of SD and leader of sporting project (because again, football guys are head of sporing project, not academia who only act as supporters to the system)

4) You say Bartomeu and co were successful in business. Idk about that, but we all know how they mishandled Barcelona's budget and how they put their own interest before the club's (like Pjanic-Arthur swap).

We had number one revenue of the world many times under Bartou, they mishandled budget but done amazing job that will be difficult to be repeated in terms of revenue.
Bartou was actually a CEO and partner in 2 successful companies, I don't know the comparison with Font in that regard, but they seem very similar in terms of background for sure. Both coming from business and both seem to love getting involved.

Again, for me it is question of how much Font understands the game? How good is he in hiring right people.
Laporta is a lawyer/politician. His job is to put right people in right place and he did so (again, not just in football)
Those are things that his campaign won't tell, just saying I would add analytical departments doesn't mean too much IMO.

And finally, we will revolve again to same points: who do you believe can deliver?
Focusing too much on campaigning strategy is meaningless IMO

Last edited:

Birdy

@khaled_a_d

- You attribute too much credit to Laporta than what he should get.
The fact that a potentially world-class coach was hiding in Barca B, no one knew, and no one should get credit for.
Credit should go to Laporta for taking a risk instead of resorting to a big name (Mourinho) that was incompatible with Barca ideology and football.
And that's where credit stops..

Likewise with the project.
Trusting Cruyff and Txiki to take decisions for the club is sth that Laporta should get credit for.
But pretending this was a fully fleshed project like the one Font is presenting is kind of distorting history in favor of Laporta.
And also saying Liverpool copied Laporta's model sounds kind of disrespectful to Liverpool tbh.
Analytics is just a manifestation of the quality of the model, not the sole factor. Yes, many clubs have analytics depart. (many after Liverpool) but you cannot argue than any club has a better analytics dept that Liverpool's

- Now, about campaigning, you seem OK with someone using illegitimate means to campaign for what i understand.
I think this is not OK.
Pep has said many things that he takes back, true.
About his career though, he has always been saying the same story and he did what he said.
He said he is not gonna stay more than 3-4 yrs as head coach at Barca, he did it.
He said he is not gonna stay long in Germany, he did it.
He said at Man City he will stay longer than other clubs, he is doing it.
Idk but it seems that when it comes to his personal life-choices he is pretty consistent.

So, yes that abstract stament 'If pep ever comes back, it will be under Laporta' might sound true, but if the antecedent never obtains, the consequent will never obtain as well.

- Finally, i agree with you on sth:
Laporta is a politician, and acts like a politician with the whole baggage that comes with it (saying what people wanna hear albeit knowing it will not happen, making easy promises that you know you are not going to deliver, pretending being an enemy to people that on the next turn of history you will be friends with and vice versa)

Laporta was together with Rossell and Bartomeu back in 03, and then he became their enemy. And now they are becoming friends again.
How credible does such politician sound to you?
As much as Laporta's tenure was successfull and Bartomeu's disastrous, these people all came from the same womb.
It's high time we should aim for a different womb for the betterment of the club

khaled_a_d

He is calling for early elections.
Not sure if it is a political statement or he really wants it.
Election now would be unfair to him, Laporta already has a landslide advantage over him and he needs this year to close the gap. If it happens it won't benefit him.
I am not his biggest fan, but I want a fair chance for him to try to win it.

Alik

Unless the board resigns, the earliest the elections can be is March 2021 according to the club statutes.

Birdy

Has anyone come across any video of the debate between the candidates with English subtitles or any English transcription of it?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not making himself look very good on Catalan radio right now. Might have to reconsider my support of him if he continues like this.

Home of Barca Fans