Tanguy Ndombele

Andresito

Staff member
why not buy him now? we'll have a new dynamic and fairly mobile midfield with him in it. Its definitely better than wasting everyone's time pretending to want to sign Neymar.

Him, Frenkie and Arthur are all build-up players, meaning they are good at transporting the ball into the final third. There they let others create the scoring chances. We need to see some development in the offense from our players before we buy another press resistant midfielder.

malvolio

Him, Frenkie and Arthur are all build-up players, meaning they are good at transporting the ball into the final third. There they let others create the scoring chances. We need to see some development in the offense from our players before we buy another press resistant midfielder.

100% agree on this. we haven't replaced Iniesta yet for the attacking midfielder role. coutinho should have been the solution but we all know how that turned out.

Newcomer

Crazy that big clubs with history of big transfers are letting Tottenham win the race.

He will be fantastic for them.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Crazy that big clubs with history of big transfers are letting Tottenham win the race.

He will be fantastic for them.

Agreed, I still can't for the life of me understand Pep rating Rodri over the Frenchman, he obviously sees something in the Spaniard that isn't there with Ndombele but boggles the mind. Of course, you have to trust in Pep - especially when it comes to a pivote

Vahue

They are different kind of players. Rodri is the more solid option defensively and has that aerial ability Pep likes.

Last edited:

abbbs97

Rodri is definitely more of Pep-type of player than Ndombele. Both are very good, but if I had to pick for Barca, it'd be Rodri.
Pep will turn him into the best DM in the world. Speaking of Rodri to City, I've been reading that Atletico want more than 70m, will probably go up to 80-85m with variables.

Vahue

Rodri is definitely more of Pep-type of player than Ndombele. Both are very good, but if I had to pick for Barca, it'd be Rodri.
Pep will turn him into the best DM in the world. Speaking of Rodri to City, I've been reading that Atletico want more than 70m, will probably go up to 80-85m with variables.

Rodri has a release clause of 70M.

Andresito

Staff member
Agreed, I still can't for the life of me understand Pep rating Rodri over the Frenchman, he obviously sees something in the Spaniard that isn't there with Ndombele but boggles the mind. Of course, you have to trust in Pep - especially when it comes to a pivote

Because as mentioned Rodri is more solid in defense, like a Javi Martinez type of player.

Imagine if you'd have to play Rodri or Ndombele as a CB, who'd you choose? I can't even imagine Ndombele there.

Pep realizes he needs to balance the team with a trustworthy and solid CDM, hence Rodri.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Because as mentioned Rodri is more solid in defense, like a Javi Martinez type of player.

Imagine if you'd have to play Rodri or Ndombele as a CB, who'd you choose? I can't even imagine Ndombele there.

Pep realizes he needs to balance the team with a trustworthy and solid CDM, hence Rodri.

I'm sure that is the logic and of course I am even more certain that Pep understands that position better than anyone much less me. Although I do not see the comparisons to Javi, at all - I see more a mix of Xabi & Busquets

What Guardiola and many in Spain have long seen in Rodri is his intelligence on the pitch in terms of positioning and reading the game from deep & building into attack. City will be getting a more defensive minded midfielder that can slot into the back line & split the centerbacks much like Busquets often does. The flip side is that City won't be getting either the dribbler/penetrator or line breaking passes that Ndombele is better at. The thinking there is clearly that City already has enough penetration with the attacking players at Pep's disposal

The lingering question I have is if this position is best served by a more defensive player or one who can be more box to box like Fernandinho. There is no question Rodri will develop further under Guardiola but I do not see him morphing into Ndombele going forward anymore than the Frenchman would become a strictly defensive player. Is that better served by a skilled/polished but more static piece at the quintessential Pep position or someone who can go box to box and which would be more ideal for City in today's game, especially the Premiership? I wonder

Nevertheless, it'll be great to see both Ndombele & Rodri under different profile coaches to develop - for all intents & purposes, probably the ideal destination for both

Truth is, most of us never saw Busquets prior to Pep with Barca B - maybe he looked similar to Rodri before Pep molded him or perhaps Guardiola just recognizes the brains & profile of a player and that's enough to build from. Rodri does show qualities that a Cruyffist loves, we'll see how it develops under the best modern teacher of the position

Last edited:

Porque

why not buy him now? we'll have a new dynamic and fairly mobile midfield with him in it. Its definitely better than wasting everyone's time pretending to want to sign Neymar.

Andresito pretty much covered the team structure part of it. In regards of Valverde selections, I just don't see the timing right to buy two young midfielders (FdJ and Ndombele) and pairing them with 22 year old Arthur Melo. There is not enough experience there and Valverde will inevitably have one of Busquets or Rakitic (knowing him probably both) to hold the midfield structure and experience.

So the question is whether it is worthwhile to spend 180m over the past 2 summers to get 3 new young midfielders with one or two of them (most likely Arthur and Ndombele) facing bench warming duties. Or if it is better to put the 60m fee towards more pressing first 11 needs (Suarez replacement) or squad needs this summer (Alba backup, attacking backup)

BenRobbins

Looks like Ceballos might be going there on loan aswell.

Spurs building a really good team. They could be dark horses this year.

It was only really their midfield that was letting them down and maybe RB.

Home of Barca Fans