Why are people so obsessed with the Champions League?

Neymessi

Sad part about this season is also that if we had gone through against Roma we could have beaten Real if we were matched up.

No we wouldn't have. Rm may have been lucky and all this CL but they aren't shit enough in 2018 to blow up a 4-1 lead to roma. If we take out luck from the equation RM may have been eliminated by bayern but we still would been eliminated by roma and had we matched up RM then rm had better chances of eliminating us.

There is no sad part about this. We would have accompolished jack shit in CL had we went past roma.

Joan

And that is why Mourinho and Ancelotti won so many CLs? There is one style that is more suitable for the CL?

Are we saying that playing top teams being conservative, parking the bus, relying on counters and direct plays such as crosses and headers has a much better chance than the kind of possession style play we had? There might be some truth to it, it kind of reminds of Luis Enrique and our treble in the 14/15 season when we played a lot of counters.

I am still not sure. Perhaps Valverde is closer to doing that? ;)
Don't know whether you are sarcastic or not, but that's what I think. Defensive oriented teams usually do well in similar competitions. Examples are numerous. Greece Europe champion, Argentina WC final, Simeone, Mourinho, Chelsea etc. Can't forget Portugal.
And it seems pretty logical to me, a draw is often like a win in the CL.

It surely isn't the only way. This Real side is different. But they are multi-dimensional. We, we are neither. :lol:

So, yes. I think it's harder to win the CL our way. But probably more enjoyable.

LeeRomeno

Yes, a lot of sense. You judge the status and rankings of the clubs based on the result of one of two games that most clubs did not attach great importance to? OK, be my guest.

When it comes to club football, Europe > the rest of the world. It is a fact. Yes I will tell that to the Corinthians, São Paulo and Internacional, the best club teams are in Europe. No problem with that statement whatsoever. Where else would they be? Brazil? If so, why did multiple Braazilian stars spend their peak years playing in Europe?

Look, if you are content with us not winning the CL because somehow you believe it is not as important as the league, so be it. There are many of us who disagree.

Rofl, i am content of us not winning CL as long as we win La Liga, it is definitely important cup, but realistically, you cannot be best club in the world if you are not even the best club in your country.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Rofl, i am content of us not winning CL as long as we win La Liga, it is definitely important cup, but realistically, you cannot be best club in the world if you are not even the best club in your country.

WHat is so funny?

OK, we know you don’t care about the CL as long as we win the league. Enough said, again there are many of us who see things differently.

Who said anything about which club is the best club? I simply said the best clubs in the world are in Europe. How does what you said above repudiate this statement or claim of mine in any way?

LeeRomeno

WHat is so funny?

OK, we know you don’t care about the CL as long as we win the league. Enough said, again there are many of us who see things differently.

Who said anything about which club is the best club? I simply said the best clubs in the world are in Europe. How does what you said above repudiate this statement or claim of mine in any way?

What was funny was the fact that you for some reason decided that I do not think CL is important trophy. That is false. I just do not expect to win trebles every season and winning 2 major trophies indeed is a successful season for me. If we would win CL and Copa, i would be just as content.
Best clubs in the world are in Europe sure, but CL is not competition that decides the best club, unless there is a superleague of some kind, CL is just another competition with sometimes undeserving winners as are all cup tournaments. But win is a win sure.

Luis Suarez

The Champions League is by far the most important trophy in Club Football. This shouldn't even be a discussion. It crowns the Champions of Europe/Kings of Europe. La Liga winners are the Champions of Spain.

And WHY can't we expect our beloved club to win the Champions League every single year? I know I do. Every single year (and am quite disappointed when we don't).

With the quality of players we have we have GREATLY under performed in this the greatest and grandest of all club competitions.

There were Sport and Mundo Deportivo articles that quoted Messi: "We can't go one more year without winning the Champions League." NOW we're talking sense.

I fully expect to see our Barcelona vs Real Madrid/Juventus/City/PSG in the 2019 Champions League Final in Madrid. Anything less is unacceptable.

Andrew M

Yes we do need to improve tremendously in the CL. At the very least a narrow semi final loss. Quarter finals are not good enough

Luis Suarez

The quality of football and entertainment is far better than any world cup or regional championship could produce, international football is no longer the pinnacle

Fully agree. While I love the World Cup, the quality of football played in the domestic and Champions League is just far superior.

Luis Suarez

Yes we do need to improve tremendously in the CL. At the very least a narrow semi final loss. Quarter finals are not good enough

That's three quarter final exits in a row mate. You're right. Simply not good enough. Unacceptable for a club of our stature.

Luis Suarez

Forget being the best club in the world (whatever that means). I'm content with being the Champions of Europe (Champions League Winners) rather than just the Champions of Spain.

That's the thing: every time we've won the Champions League we've invariably won the league too, so it's not as if the two are mutually exclusive :) The trick is to get the formula right, as our Treble winners have. Twice.

A Triple Treble next season then :) Cue Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" (Treble Treble) here :)

I'd be satisfied with a European Double (La Liga and Champions League title). We've won the most of those too :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_(association_football)#European_Double

soul24rage

The Champions League is by far the most important trophy in Club Football. This shouldn't even be a discussion. It crowns the Champions of Europe/Kings of Europe. La Liga winners are the Champions of Spain.

And WHY can't we expect our beloved club to win the Champions League every single year? I know I do. Every single year (and am quite disappointed when we don't).

With the quality of players we have we have GREATLY under performed in this the greatest and grandest of all club competitions.

There were Sport and Mundo Deportivo articles that quoted Messi: "We can't go one more year without winning the Champions League." NOW we're talking sense.

I fully expect to see our Barcelona vs Real Madrid/Juventus/City/PSG in the 2019 Champions League Final in Madrid. Anything less is unacceptable.

For me, both of them are equally important and different. the league really shows who was the most consistent all year while in the CL if you screw up in one of the two legs in the knockout stage (ref mistakes, tactical mistakes, suspensions and etc.) then you're basically done for so we have to well on both of the competition (although I think the CL is the main priority this season after Madrid's 3 wins).

I think that if we had something like a European Super League, then that competition will truly show who is the king of Europe for the whole year without relying on the many different factors that I've mentioned.

Luis Suarez

For me, both of them are equally important and different. the league really shows who was the most consistent all year while in the CL if you screw up in one of the two legs in the knockout stage (ref mistakes, tactical mistakes, suspensions and etc.) then you're basically done for so we have to well on both of the competition (although I think the CL is the main priority this season after Madrid's 3 wins).

I think that if we had something like a European Super League, then that competition will truly show who is the king of Europe for the whole year without relying on the many different factors that I've mentioned.

Cheers mate. Good post with points well made.

Vilarrubi

[youtube]QtEhchPCr34[/youtube]

Always liked this clip of one of the GOAT managers Brian Clough talking about the importance of the league.

Obviously the Champions League has grown in stature but this comes from a guy who won the European Cup back to back.

I think La Liga is dismissed slightly amongst Barca fans because we’re used to winning it recently. Even Zidane said winning La Liga was his best moment.

vlad

CL>la liga, no disscussion for me, in la liga you face 70% team where whole team doesnt cost like 1 barca player, and most of those matches barca are crusing through, just the matter of how many goals will barca score, its just not fair, so why would i value that competition same as CL where you face teams which are on the same level or close, there you prove are you really the best team

Home of Barca Fans