Iniesta leaving at the end of season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Barca captain Andrés Iniesta broke down in tears as he announced that he is leaving the club after 22 years, 16 as a professional.

Iniesta-goodbye.jpg

"Being honest with myself and with the club, which has given me everything, I understand that my time with the club has to finish this year," he said.

"I'll always be loyal to the club, which took me on when I was 12 years old and they deserve the best of me and in the near future I won't be able to give that, mentally or physically."

"It's a very difficult day for me, I've spent my whole life here and saying goodbye to the place which has been my home for so long is very difficult, but I understand how life works and that it gets harder every day. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I created an uncomfortable situation for a club which has given me everything. I don't deserve that and neither do the club."

----------

The 33-year-old midfielder joined Barcelona's youth academy at the age of 12. He helped the club win 31 titles and should help clinch one more before he leaves – La Liga.

Iniesta won eight league titles, seven Spanish Super Cups, four Champions Leagues, six Copas del Rey, three European Super Cups and three Club World Cups.

He's made 125 appearances with Spain, and he's won two European Championship titles and scored a World Cup-clinching goal. He'll play for the team this summer at the World Cup in Russia.

Home of Barca Fans