Quique Setién

serghei

EV was considered a Crujif student by trade before he joined us, even Crujif himself praised him for that. You can't come and just say he isn't when he doesn't play it here.
And EV proved himself for long years in the league, Setien didn't do enough yet, it is way bigger leap of faith. Such thing could be done if the coach has a serious history with the club (Pep/Lucho/Zidane) which allow him a great man management and authority in dressing room.

Wait, doesn't being a Cruyff student mean never to abandon the ideas about how to play, least of all when you play an inferior side? Being a Cruyff student, then parking the bus in a game to preserve a 4-1 lead, is like being a vegetarian but eating a ribeye steak once in a while. Well, fine, it's your right, but then you're not a veggie. You're just confused dude.

Valverde has played defensive quite often this season, especially in big games. Preserving leads by parking the bus. That's anti Cruyff. His 4-4-2 is anti Cruyff. Against everything he stands for in terms of playing style. Lumping long balls when pressed is anti Cruyff. Everything he did at Barca in the last months at least is anti Cruyff.

Maybe at some point he was an adept of this style but he chickened out like many do, abandoning his ideas in the face of pressure. Or maybe he was one of those managers that borrow some ideas from here, some ideas from there, ending up never putting them together. That's even more reason to kick him out. At least the likes of Mourinho and Simeone know what they stand for.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Wait, doesn't being a Cruyff student mean never to abandon the ideas about how to play, least of all when you play an inferior side? Being a Cruyff student, then parking the bus in a game to preserve a 4-1 lead, is like being a vegetarian but eating a ribeye steak once in a while. Well, fine, it's your right, but then you're not a veggie. You're just confused dude.

Valverde has played defensive quite often this season, especially in big games. Preserving leads by parking the bus. That's anti Cruyff. His 4-4-2 is anti Cruyff. Against everything he stands for in terms of playing style. Lumping long balls when pressed is anti Cruyff. Everything he did at Barca in the last months at least is anti Cruyff.

You see, he was considered a Crujif student and abandoned it here. It does't take the fact he isn't a Crujif student. Because students don't have to stick to their master philosophy all the time unlike Veggie.
And that is the whole point, some coaches may play that sexy football in certain situation, it doesn't mean they will stick to it all the time. Doesn't mean they will translate in every other club btw.
Setien is a nice coach, but he almost 60 with 3 years of experience in 1st division. It is just way too risky to have a coach like him to manage one of the most expensive squads in the world

serghei

Valverde is a pretty confused manager. Takes conflicting decisions. Odd ones. It's like he's on a mission to sabotage this team in CL. Was on a mission actually, because he accomplished it with flying colors.

The only thing consistent about him was his cowardice and debilitative conservatorism. Trusted Dembele vs Chelsea than barely played him a full game after that. Barely played Semedo before his injury, even leaving him the stands, then plays him 3 full games in 8 days without any prep game after his hamstring problem. Semedo was already showing signs of tiredness late in the Leganes game. Almost never played Semedo - Roberto together at the same time, and then, bam, all of a sudden, does it out of the blue in the biggest games this season. I swear, it's like a kid toying with firecrackers in the house setting the whole place on fire. Then the firemen came, put out the fire, only some minor damage is registered. Family is happy, but the kid does it again the first chance he's left alone. And one time, the firemen are late and the whole house turns to ashes.

But wait. There's more. Valverde had many chances to integrate Mina and give himself a different type of defender, a strong player capable of getting into these tough physical duels and winning them. But, incredibly, he failed to do that after giving the dude only 1 game in which, funny enough, he was among the best in an under-performing team on the day. He almost got us a win vs Getafe, proving he is not only strong in defense, but also an asset on set pieces, something we don't have in the team. Valverde himself says players are tired after Sevilla, but the dude isn't even able to rest them properly in the Leganes match with an extensive lead in La Liga. Messi and Suarez are, and this is proven with facts, the most used over 30+ players in the world, playing way more minutes than any other player of their age this season. But, no, we can't have 30m. Alcacer vs such a big and highly rated team like Leganes. Nope, only Messi and Suarez will do. There's so many conflicting decisions this manager made during the season, that it's a miracle we managed to stay undefeated for so long in La Liga. Miracles don't work for long, as the roma game proved.

You see, he was considered a Crujif student and abandoned it here. It does't take the fact he isn't a Crujif student. Because students don't have to stick to their master philosophy all the time unlike Veggie.
And that is the whole point, some coaches may play that sexy football in certain situation, it doesn't mean they will stick to it all the time. Doesn't mean they will translate in every other club btw.
Setien is a nice coach, but he almost 60 with 3 years of experience in 1st division. It is just way too risky to have a coach like him to manage one of the most expensive squads in the world

I don't see him as a Cruyff student. You have to share his ideas to be called that. He doesn't. No point in prolonging this too much. Valverde is completely, unequivocally, a no go for me past this season.

No, students don't have to follow their master plan to a letter. But they can't basically turn everything upside down by playing a totally different brand of football. Defensive parking the bus football + long balls is night and day in terms of football compared with Cruyff.

Last edited:

FC433

I want to see how he does in EL and I hope RB gets Rafinha.

His two seasons with LP were good. Absolutely great first season with RB and I am very excited to see how he does in his second season after a tough start.

Messi983

I think he should drop 3 at the back system and play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. They lack width because fullbacks are not good enough offensively, especially Francis. Hopefully they'll get another good RB to compete with Barragan and send Francis on loan.

FC433

I 100% agree. I do not know why he is playing with three CBs when they are not that good enough.

El Flaco

His Real Betis side won 4-2 against us at Camp Nou and we were completely outplayed.

I wouldn't mind to have Setien as our next coach if Valverde somehow leaves after this season (the board won't sack him).

El Flaco

Being the only away coach to take a win at Bernabeu & Camp Nou over a decade is actually incredible.

[tw]1061669333695369217[/tw]

henias

If I was the board, I would go for Setien immediately, could possibly be the best replacement right now. But knowing the board, they will probably keep EV or screw up with another "BaRcA DNA".

This guy absolutely outclassed us in every way possible, the way he transformed this Betis side is incredible. This guy definitely knows his football, the way they kept possession and transition into a 4 men counter attack. Inevitably I felt really happy for him. Better than seeing a motionless, expressionless coach with autopilot subs every week.

El Gato

Villarato!
If I was the board, I would go for Setien immediately, could possibly be the best replacement right now. But knowing the board, they will probably keep EV or screw up with another "BaRcA DNA".

What does 'immediately' entail? This week? Next week? This winter? Next summer?

He may well be the successor really, but he won't do any better than Ernie. He got 2 very good transfers and his whole shtick fell apart in 2 months.

henias

What does 'immediately' entail? This week? Next week? This winter? Next summer?

He may well be the successor really, but he won't do any better than Ernie. He got 2 very good transfers and his whole shtick fell apart in 2 months.

Dont really care tbh. Any manager is still better than EV for a long term.

Wait I thought we were supposed to be guaranteed top place comfotably bcos of Ernie? Whole thing is gonna fall apart in the next few months and in the CL. No difference.

Ernie play utter shit football as well.

El Gato

Villarato!
Dont really care tbh. Any manager is still better than EV for a long term.

Wait I thought we were supposed to be guaranteed top place comfotably bcos of Ernie? Whole thing is gonna fall apart in the next few months and in the CL. No difference.

Ernie play utter shit football as well.

Any? Get Eusebio or Unzue then ;)

I really don't mean to kick a dead horse here, but honest to god, how easy are the trends in performance to notice? Rakitić was always just 'good' and capable of having a great game. Busquets has tailed off like mad and never really stands out as good when the rest aren't having a good time. Pique? Doesn't deserve getting talked about. Messi? Shouldn't be harsh on him, but he's equally prone to walking as any 'ace' player who doesn't have a natural leader gene and gives up under pressure. This trend is nothing new at all. Was telegraphed for nearly 2-3 years. It's totally silly to expect Setien, who has zero pedigree, to be able to give these players a kick up the arse. And Barca only ever hires internal revolutionaries like Pep that make the necessary choices. Until Xavi is ready, this is it.

KingLeo10

Any? Get Eusebio or Unzue then ;)

I really don't mean to kick a dead horse here, but honest to god, how easy are the trends in performance to notice? Rakitić was always just 'good' and capable of having a great game. Busquets has tailed off like mad and never really stands out as good when the rest aren't having a good time. Pique? Doesn't deserve getting talked about. Messi? Shouldn't be harsh on him, but he's equally prone to walking as any 'ace' player who doesn't have a natural leader gene and gives up under pressure. This trend is nothing new at all. Was telegraphed for nearly 2-3 years. It's totally silly to expect Setien, who has zero pedigree, to be able to give these players a kick up the arse. And Barca only ever hires internal revolutionaries like Pep that make the necessary choices. Until Xavi is ready, this is it.

natural leader gene? lmao wtf. here's your natural leader Ramos' famous showings v Barca:

0-3
2-6
0-5
0-4
0-3
1-5

Home of Barca Fans