User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78

Thread: Messi vs CR7 in CL

  1. #1
    Member
    FiReFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Messi vs CR7 in CL

    So this is quite interesting, years ago Messi was in the lead in the CL scoring charts and Ronaldo was about to be old in soccer terms and it looked like he would slowly decline into his 30s while Messi would increase his goalscoring lead year by year.

    And yet in the past 5 years in the CL, Messi has scored 41 goals, while Ronaldo has scored 69... thats a 28 goal difference, its close to being almost double the amount of goals, and he is 33 years old now and relies mostly on his speed.

    How the heck did it all turn out so wrong and how the heck can there be such a huge difference in the past years, it seems completely impossible for me if I think about it, almost something out of a nightmare.
    insert signature here

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    FCBfan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FiReFTW View Post
    So this is quite interesting, years ago Messi was in the lead in the CL scoring charts and Ronaldo was about to be old in soccer terms and it looked like he would slowly decline into his 30s while Messi would increase his goalscoring lead year by year.

    And yet in the past 5 years in the CL, Messi has scored 41 goals, while Ronaldo has scored 69... thats a 28 goal difference, its close to being almost double the amount of goals, and he is 33 years old now and relies mostly on his speed.

    How the heck did it all turn out so wrong and how the heck can there be such a huge difference in the past years, it seems completely impossible for me if I think about it, almost something out of a nightmare.
    Simple. Real has made it further most of the recent years. And Ronaldo, being the scoring machine he is, capitalised on that.

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Messi also changed his game. He's been playig much deeper the last few years.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    13,043
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's about time people realise that Ronaldo is a striker, like a no9, and Messi is a no 10. Ronaldo is a rematador as they say in Spain. They are different players, but Ronaldo is proving to be a better striker, with much better numbers at the top.

    It's actually logical that Ronaldo is a better striker. Better with his weaker foot, has more ways of hitting the ball, is a much better header of the ball. Just has more ways of scoring goals as opposed to Messi due to many factors, not least being the more advanced position he plays in.
    Last edited by serghei; 5th April 2018 at 06:46 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Raketa10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much better numbers? Better striker?! Jesus...

    Do some of you even think before writing stupid stuff? Do you even bother to check numbers? This forum has gone to shit to the point of no return.

    So lets write some FACTS for change.

    List of European Cup and UEFA Champions League top scorers:

    RONALDO - GOALS 119 - APPS 149 - RATIO 0,8
    MESSI - GOALS 100 - APPS 123 - RATIO 0,81

    Conclusion: Try to actually check things before you write stuff like this.
    Last edited by Raketa10; 5th April 2018 at 06:56 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    13,043
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketa10 View Post
    Much better numbers? Jesus...
    If you take the number of goals scored in the knockout phase of the CL Ronaldo is way ahead of Messi. In recent seasons the difference is consistent. You can't just use stats when it suits Messi, and toss them aside when they don't.

    Again, it's normal considering Messi is a no10, and Ronaldo is a striker.

    Btw, there was a stat saying the last time Messi scored in a CL QF was in 2013. It's 5 years ago. And since then we played 9 games in the QF. He has 0 goals in the CL QF in the last 9 games and you tell me Ronaldo doesn't have much better numbers in terms of scoring goals? Ronaldo scored more goals in the last game alone than Messi in the last 5 years in the same phase of the competition.
    Last edited by serghei; 5th April 2018 at 06:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Joan Laporta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,262
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really normal since Messi has always been scoring more.

    Leo has underperformed in the CL, same as Barca.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    13,043
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Laporta View Post
    It's not really normal since Messi has always been scoring more.

    Leo has underperformed in the CL, same as Barca.
    Well, it's a big problem. Because CL is where goals at the right time matter most and Ronaldo trumps Messi at this chapter. No doubt about it. We all like Messi more than Ronaldo here, most of us anyway, but we should just accept Ronaldo is a more clinical scorer at the highest level. He is harder to mark, is more dangerous when near the goal, attacks the ball better, is stronger and faster in the box, has more scorer instincts, he's just a better striker. Messi can't score as much as Ronaldo against the top sides playing so far from the goal. This is not Getafe or Bilbao where you take the ball from 30m. wide and score by dribbling 4-5 defenders. Against the top teams this happens once every several years, a game like vs Bayern in 2015. When you play vs the likes of Bayern, Atletico, Juve etc. the farther away you play from goal, the least likely you are to score, no matter who you are.
    Last edited by serghei; 5th April 2018 at 07:02 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Devils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7,827
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketa10 View Post
    Much better numbers? Better striker?! Jesus...

    Do some of you even think before writing stupid stuff? Do you even bother to check numbers? This forum has gone to shit to the point of no return.

    So lets writ some FACTS for change.

    List of European Cup and UEFA Champions League top scorers:

    RONALDO - GOALS 119 - APPS 149 - RATIO 0,8
    MESSI - GOALS 100 - APPS 123 - RATIO 0,81

    Conclusion: Try to check things before you write something.
    Ronaldo has outscored Messi in the knockout stages in recent years by a significant amount.

    The goal ratios you posted include knockout stages. And knockout stage groups usually have 2-3 easy teams to score on.

    Those stats don't show the whole picture at all.

    Messi was a better CL performer from 2008-2012. Ronaldo has been better from 2014-2018.
    Last edited by Devils; 5th April 2018 at 07:02 PM.
    Puyol #5

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Raketa10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    If you take the number of goals scored in the knockout phase of the CL Ronaldo is way ahead of Messi. In recent seasons the difference is consistent. You can't just use stats when it suits Messi, and toss them aside when they don't.

    Again, it's normal considering Messi is a no10, and Ronaldo is a striker.

    Btw, there was a stat saying the last time Messi scored in a CL QF was in 2013. It's 5 years ago. And since then we played 9 games in the QF. He has 0 goals in the CL QF in the last 9 games and you tell me Ronaldo doesn't have much better numbers in terms of scoring goals? Ronaldo scored more goals in the last game alone than Messi in the last 5 years in the same phase of the competition.
    Yes because of that Ronaldo has 4 CL and Messi has...wait for it...4.

    There is indeed a big difference.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Joan Laporta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,262
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    Well, it's a big problem. Because CL is where goals at the right time matter most and Ronaldo trumps Messi at this chapter. No doubt about it. We all like Messi more than Ronaldo here, most of us anyway, but we should just accept Ronaldo is a more clinical scorer at the highest level. He is harder to mark, is more dangerous in the box, attacks the ball better, is stronger and faster, he's just a better striker. Messi can't score as much as Ronaldo against the top sides playing so far from the goal. This is not Getafe or Bilbao where you take the ball from 30m. wide and score by dribbling 4-5 defenders. Against the top teams this happens once every several years, a game like vs Bayern in 2015. When you play vs the likes of Bayern, Atletico, Juve etc. the farther away you play from goal, the least likely you are to score, no matter who you are.
    You say it's harder for Messi to score vs top tier opponents than it's for Ronaldo. But it doesn't work anywhere else. Messi has scored most vs Real, Atleti, Sevilla while Ronaldo vs some minors (most of which are from Madrid).
    It's true it's harder to score playing away from goal but I think the main reason is that he has underperformed.

    Needs to do much better. He's no some normal player, he's probably the best ever.

    But, it's also on the team. Real has been better than us. Create more, score more...

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Laporta View Post
    It's not really normal since Messi has always been scoring more.

    Leo has underperformed in the CL, same as Barca.
    Ronaldo has Modric, Marcelo, Kroos, Isco to provide.
    Messi in the last 3 years have Rakitic and an underperforming Iniesta and add to that Paulinho of this season.

    In Addition to that, in Barca both Suarez and Messi has goal responsibility. In RM, the entire team is tactically functioning to create chance after chances for Ronaldo.

    Most of the times, when Messi misses goalscoring chance it is when he faces a parked bus of two rows, where he dribbles one row to be tackled in the next. When Ronaldo missed scoring chances, it's a howler, where he only has goalkeeper to beat.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    13,043
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketa10 View Post
    Yes because of that Ronaldo has 4 CL and Messi has...wait for it...4.

    There is indeed a big difference.
    Man, I was talking about GOAL SCORING, not overall influence. What does both having 4 CLs have to do with anything?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff-Total Football View Post
    Ronaldo has Modric, Marcelo, Kroos, Isco to provide.
    Messi in the last 3 years have Rakitic and an underperforming Iniesta and add to that Paulinho of this season.

    In Addition to that, in Barca both Suarez and Messi has goal responsibility. In RM, the entire team is tactically functioning to create chance after chances for Ronaldo.

    Most of the times, when Messi misses goalscoring chance it is when he faces a parked bus of two rows, where he dribbles one row to be tackled in the next. When Ronaldo missed scoring chances, it's a howler, where he only has goalkeeper to beat.
    Man, Messi doesn't play deep because 'he has no service' like you are trying to imply. He pays in a no10 position because right now, he is more of a playmaker than he is a scorer. He still scores more than anyone bar Ronaldo who is the only player that is scoring more for him in the top games.
    Last edited by serghei; 5th April 2018 at 07:11 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    If you take the number of goals scored in the knockout phase of the CL Ronaldo is way ahead of Messi. In recent seasons the difference is consistent. You can't just use stats when it suits Messi, and toss them aside when they don't.

    Again, it's normal considering Messi is a no10, and Ronaldo is a striker.

    Btw, there was a stat saying the last time Messi scored in a CL QF was in 2013. It's 5 years ago. And since then we played 9 games in the QF. He has 0 goals in the CL QF in the last 9 games and you tell me Ronaldo doesn't have much better numbers in terms of scoring goals? Ronaldo scored more goals in the last game alone than Messi in the last 5 years in the same phase of the competition.
    Agree completely. Allegri in the press conference after the match said exactly this, Ronaldo is the best in the world and probably the best ever in the penalty area.

    He also said that he's actually a striker now, so Ronaldo fanboys and Ronaldo himself who said he's still a winger can fuck off because people aren't blind.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Raketa10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are incomparable to any normal football fan wih eyes and basic football knowledge but nevermind. The tragedy is that 90% of people care only about the last game and forget what is Messi doing for over 14 years now. The biggest tragedy is when Barca “fans” are doing that.