Our Most Promising Youth Team Players?

raki

For those aged above 16, right now I don't see someone who is really "special" tbf.
Surely many can make it to 1st team, like Abel,Alena,Cucu,Miranda, Morey, Lazar/Inaki etc, but each one of them have a bit of doubts around him. Alena is the closest but at 20 he is young player rather than a "talent"

I would add to those names

Alex Collado
Riqui Puig
Jandro Orellana
Carles Perez

messi1995

Yeah I think we should mention players 16 or above. I will go for
Aleña
Jandro
Puig
Bernabe
Collado
Nico
Navarro

Could have said Eric Garcia and Sergio Gomez too but shame they left.

There are surely more but those I mentioned seems the most special talents for me.

tacticvarium

There has been a so-called 'golden generation' from La Masia every 3-4 years (There were 1991/92, 1995/96, 1998/99 since the famed 87 generation) but of all those players, Roberto is the only one who managed to survive here and Thiago is the only player who was able to reach the world-class level (still arguable though).
Realistically, only 1-2 (or none) will be able to survive among all the players mentioned above and now Aleñá and Oriol are the closest players to the first team. Apart from the two, Abel Ruiz and Mateu Morey probably but it all depends on how they develop next 1-2 years.

raki

There has been a so-called 'golden generation' from La Masia every 3-4 years (There were 1991/92, 1995/96, 1998/99 since the famed 87 generation) but of all those players, Roberto is the only one who managed to survive here and Thiago is the only player who was able to reach the world-class level (still arguable though).
Realistically, only 1-2 (or none) will be able to survive among all the players mentioned above and now Aleñá and Oriol are the closest players to the first team. Apart from the two, Abel Ruiz and Mateu Morey probably but it all depends on how they develop next 1-2 years.

Adama are gonna be sold for 30M each next summer although they are overrated.

khaled_a_d

Adama are gonna be sold for 30M each next summer although they are overrated.

Adama got us 12M when he was a kid, but whatever his future sale that doesn't mean he is considered a star or quality player. Icardi and Bellerin have way stronger case, and even Deulofeu for now is better player.

BBZ8800

Basically you are competing against the best of your age group in Spain,while half of those you are facing aren't gonna end as professional footballer.

+1

This is one thing which fans often don't get and they are surprised why some players dominated as kid and turned into average players later.
People usually go and blame a coach (Lucho, EV etc) for "ruining" a player.

The thing is, if you play at Barca's youth teams and you are born, in let's say 2004', then you are competing MOSTLY with:
1. kids born ONLY in 2004 and younger
2. plus only with kids born in 2004 who play in Spanish youth teams

If that kid will be the best young player from guys born in 2004 in Spain, that still doesn't mean THAT much, because when he'll turn 18 or 20, he WON'T play anymore ONLY with guys from his age group (2004) but with guys who were equally as him:
1. the best in 2003' group 1 season before his success
2. the best in 2002' group
3. the best in 2001' group
4. the best in every group from 2000 to 1990 or 1985

So, if some Alena or Oriol is the best player in his age group, then in the next season, he will play at Barca with Alenas and Oriols from 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988 etc.
What is worse, a club will buy 10 other Alenas and Oriols from France, Brasil, Netherlands, who were the best in their youth leagues also.

So, in youth teams:
1. players play only with guys from their age group
2. and only with players from their country (in their age group)

While when they turn into seniors:
1. they play with the best players from 15 different age groups
2. they play against best players from 50-100 different countries, not only from Spain

So, an analogy would be:
1. when you play in youth teams, that is like being the best in your high school between 20-30 guys from your school
2. when you turn into seniors, you as the best guy from your high school, now have to compete with 1000 other guys who were the best in their 1000 high schools, plus you have to compete with 1000 best guys from different high schools from generations 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990 etc.

My post will sound negative again, but please, don't hold your breath too much just because someone is good when playing against other 13 year old kids.
When he'll become a senior, he will never again have it "that easy" that he will be allowed to play only against such a small sample of players.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans