Lliga | Round 27: FC Barcelona - Atletico Madrid 1-0

mesiesta

God I miss Pep...

Exactly my thoughts during the game. For this season Valverde is just gold, because no any other manager could give such season and make Rakitic so brilliant. He is very good in tactics. But well, in next season he should start to play more attacking football. We are Barca, not Atletico, Chelsea or Manchester United.

JamDav1982

Exactly ny thoughts during the game. For this season Valverde is just gold, because no any other manager could give such season and make Rakitic so brilliant. He is very good in tactics. But well, in next season he should start to play more attacking football. We are Barca, not Atletico, Chelsea or Manchester United.

Barca are amongst the top for goals and possession in europe.

Not playing like those teams.

More balanced and patient than Pep and with not as good players but this idea Barca are playing defensive football is not accurate.

mesiesta

Barca are amongst the top for goals and possession in europe.

Not playing like those teams.

More balanced and patient than Pep and with not as good players but this idea Barca are playing defensive football is not accurate.

Yes, it's not defensive, but it's not attacking too. I mean, I will choose Valverde over Lucho every day, he is very solid in tactics and you feel that there is a real coach there. But in Pep days we had both - strong manager and extra-attacking style of play. But, maybe, we need to be happy with what he have and just enjoy the season which seemed to be lost in September.

JamDav1982

Yes, it's not defensive, but it's not attacking too. I mean, I will choose Valverde over Lucho every day, he is very solid in tactics and you feel that there is a real coach there. But in Pep days we had both - strong manager and extra-attacking style of play. But, maybe, we need to be happy with what he have and just enjoy the season which seemed to be lost in September.

Still today Barca had more attempts on goal than City did v Chelsea.

There is a tendancy to look at all the bad Barca do and all the good Pep does at City and creates extreme points of view.

Horatio

You're welcome
Respect to stability of the team.

It's true it might not be sparkling football but still something to be said about the pressing and structure.
People here were #*#&$ing their pants for Costa and Griezmann but they were nowhere to be found.

Ken_rosseneri

Can some please help me with a question..just one question pls.. it's very important... my question is... what did Gomes do when he came on? Wat did he offer for the time he was on the pitch? This butch was out of the squad for 3 games, came back from nothing straight into the substituted line up.. my God, wat terrible player.. wish I had the chance to tell these players how bad they are to their faces.. he needs to find a new team.. same goes for Vidal n Paulinho

Can some please help me with a question..just one question pls.. it's very important... my question is... what did Gomes do when he came on? Wat did he offer for the time he was on the pitch? This butch was out of the squad for 3 games, came back from nothing straight into the substituted line up.. my God, wat terrible player.. wish I had the chance to tell these players how bad they are to their faces.. he needs to find a new team.. same goes for Vidal n Paulinho

bUt DeMbElE HasNt PrOvEN HiMSelF

jairzinho

Honestly I’m surprised by the way Simeone approached the game.

Athleti were very timid In the first half.

Everyone knows we take long to settle and a team like Athleti could have caused problems had they pressed us in the first 20 mins or so.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Honestly I’m surprised by the way Simeone approached the game.

Athleti were very timid In the first half.

Everyone knows we take long to settle and a team like Athleti could have caused problems had they pressed us in the first 20 mins or so.

They were never going to approach it any other way. A draw would be a good result for them.

This idea that it was 'must win' for Atleti was obviously wrong.

Asylum15

Now that the game is over a while and certain people have blown their loads, I feel like this:

1. Valverde deserves credit because as said already, they didn't create a fucking single good chance, and THAT is impressive. Why? Well, it has a ton to do with how compact we are defensively out of possession. We don't have the individual quality of years gone by (we lost alot with Neymar's departure) so Valverde has resorted to synergy, and it's worked so far this year to a treat. We aren't the best team in Europe, but we are fucking hard to beat, and we have something nobody else does, Leo. Honestly, I felt comfortable in the last 15-20 minutes with them having alot of possession because it's clear our players understand the defensive shape and individual roles. We didn't look like conceding, we were first to the critical interceptions and stayed solid throughout. We might not be playing the Pep Guardiola brand of football, but are much more solid than his era IMO, and history will only remember points gained, wins and fucking trophies.

Where Valderde baffles me is with his insistence on playing Gomes. He's too slow, mentally and physically, for our game. He's got little technical ability, the elephant in a china shop effect. He might look good in a counter attacking, physical Valencia side, but it's clear he's not going to succeed here. However, boo-ing our own players is a fucking disgrace, and I feel for him here.

2. I do still believe due to our lack of mobility in midfield we are a CL round away for being destroyed. We don't have anymore considerable counter attacking pace and it's going to eventually catch us out. Simeone knew this and basically played his 11 in our half in the 2nd half. Messi can be swarmed, Suarez is slow, and other than that, we have no threat other than Cou. Dembele is the obvious joker in the pack but he's young and it seems he's not favoured right now. Get us stuck in our own half, win all 2nd balls when we eventually go long, and then attack us at pace, we'll find this a whole world more difficult. Bayern would kill us for example IMO.

3 more points, league is getting closer but ultimately, we'll be judged on the CL which we are about 2-3 players short of winning IMO.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans