Pique silences Espanyol

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Gerard Pique struck a late header to keep FC Barcelona unbeaten in the league and win a point at Espanyol de Cornella.

Match was played under rain and at difficult pitch which eventually turned into pond and there was little football to be seen by either team.

The point extends Barca’s unbeaten run in La Liga this season to 22 games, breaking the record previously held by Pep Guardiola’s side and set in 2009-10.

Ernesto Valverde made changes for the game, with Lionel Messi, Jordi Alba and Ivan Rakitic among those left on the bench but Barca coach eventually had to get Messi, Roberto and Alba on to help salvage a point.

i

Here is what man of the hour had to say:

"Celebrating the goal was special after everything that's happened in the last week," Pique told reporters after the game.

"Some of the fans here have been directing insults at me and my family for a long time. I was telling them, in general, to be quiet, but maybe I shouldn't have. I know a lot of good Espanyol fans. Maybe it should have been directed at the club or its owners for not reporting certain things...

"They are from Cornella, like I said the other day. I know it hurt them and I used sarcasm to annoy them. But saying they play in Cornella is not disrespectful, it's a fact.

"They complain about that and report me, but they don't investigate insults towards my family. That is disrespectful. Telling them to be quiet was the least I could do."

"Players do have a responsibility, but we are also people and we react according to what happens. And there's a limit. And if those in charge [at Espanyol] don't say anything, then we will not be kept quiet."

Horatio

You're welcome
"But saying they play in Cornella is not disrespectful, it's a fact."

Well played Pique, well played.

Windhook

"Players do have a responsibility, but we are also people and we react according to what happens. And there's a limit. And if those in charge [at Espanyol] don't say anything, then we will not be kept quiet."

True. Butthurts that feel insulted by his celebration should remember their butts hurt for a reason.:lol: You get what you deserve.

Home of Barca Fans