Marcus Mcguane

Joan

There is a difference between signing someone for the first team and the B team.
What's the difference? In both cases you want the best you can get.
We have talents for DM now like Oriol busi, Jandro Orellana and Alex Rico. The reason why I respect the signing of Jorge Cuenca is because we don't have many special CB's in la masia + he has the DNA. Why I don't respect this signing or many other signings like that villareal winger is because Sergio Gomez won't play that much.
How do you know this guy doesn't have the DNA? He's a highly rated defensive midfielder who's hailed for his versatility. Wenger said: "McGuane is a defensive midfielder, he can play wing-back or even centre-back. In training sometimes he plays with us at centre-back." I do understand your point about that Villareal winger, but as you said, the team needs experienced players and if a coach (whoever that is) doesn't trust his options, then go for it.
Sergio Gomez won't play at all. He turned down club's offer and decided to leave. I am sorry for that, but there's no need to cry for the one who disrespected the club.

And why didn't we let Carlez Perez play in many games? Because this board like banf average farmers instead of him. Not gonna say he will be a first team material, but he deserved to play and he has proven that.
I like Carles Perez very much, don't know will he ever be 1st team material, he even might, but that doesn't matter.
What matters is that he got a chance and took it. Played 180 minutes in a row, let's see how that develops.
You can't say that masia players are not given chances, maybe the timing is not right, or the impression is false - but they are playing a lot.
I'll come up with the stats later, before the weekend.
That said, Neither do I like Gerard's term, but not trusting youth is not one of his flaws.
When we have a very talentet player in la masia in the same postion which is good enough to play, the there is no point in signing randon farmers. We don't have any special CB's and thats why I respect and like the signing of Jorge Cuenca. Also he is a very good ball playinf CB, only 18 and I like him. Good signing.
Cuenca was a great signing, huge victory. A very promising youngster who will hopefully enter the first team. Agree on that end.
But don't understand why are you discarding this transfer? Have you watched him play? He's also 18. Not some random "farmer".
You seem to be an expert on the B team, but let's change the focus for a second. In the first team, Busquets and Rakitić are playing as double pivots, there's no one who can rest them. If these guys perform, there'll be plenty of opportunities.
Also, want to ask you a question: few years ago, when then bright Deulofeu, Traore and Tello played in the B team, would you sign some Asensio? Very interested in your explanation.

xXKonan

I mean just because we signed these said players doesn't mean Gerard will drop the likes of Alena etc. I don't rate Gerard very high but I seriously doubt he would tell the likes of Alena,Cucu,Miranda or the rest of the La Masia players in the B team that "Well since I signed all these players you guys are no longer needed".

We don't know what kind of role Marcus McGuane,Tabla etc will have in the team right now. There's nothing wrong with adding players like them as they were cheap and the club is willing to take a gamble on if they are good enough for the future to go along with the likes of Alena etc.

Young players who are brought in from the outside deserve as much as chance as the La Masia players do to impress the coach. That's the problem with with La Masia journalists, they hold Kids who came through the system so highly and yet won't give much leeway to outsiders who are around the same age who could possibly be good players as well.

Messi983

Agreed.

I don't understand why people keep complaining when we bring players from the outside to compete with our players. If La Masia talents are really as good as fans of those kids think they should have no problems getting enough playing time. If they can't beat those "farmers" for minutes then tell me how will they do in the first team where their competition will be even tougher?

In worst case scenario (for them) players like McGuane and Tabla won't be good enough and we'll eventually sell them (and most likely still make a profit on them since they were both brought for cheap) and play La Masia kids instead. In a better scenario they will be good enough to help Barça B (and possibly even get some first team opportunities) and maybe at the same time their presence will also help other players to develop better. And in best case scenario (for those players and the club) we'll find a hidden gem that will be able to play in the first team, at least as a useful squad player if not a starter.

Another thing: players like Puyol, Busquets and Pedro all came to La Masia when they were around 17. It's true they were from smaller clubs but nowadays people would likely still complain why we brought them instead of giving a chance to kids that are already here since they were 10 or 12 and/or before kids that are more hyped and "flashy". Instead, club gave them a chance to compete against those kids even though they were not the most talented players of their generation. But they had qualities like leadership and commitment (Puyol), work rate (Pedro) and intelligence (Busi) among others that helped push them ahead of kids who were maybe more gifted technically.

I think nowadays people are too focused on just technical abilities of young players and when they see someone can dribble or pass they start to call them wonderkids and compare those kids to football legends like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta,... which in itself is wrong because it puts additional unneeded pressure on youngsters. Clearly tehnical abilities are very important for our playing style but if a player lacks a lot in attributes mentioned above (and many more) then it's very likely he won't make it here even if he's above average technically.

impeh

Hi, its me..
mcguane1-as-smart-object-1.jpg

The reverse Fabregas: Inside Marcus McGuane's switch from Arsenal to Barcelona and 'the Harvard of Football'

xXKonan

Out of all the B signings we made this window he's the one I'm the most interested in and how he does.

This dilemma was of course one part of McGuane’s decision, but not the only thing weighing on his mind. There was also the fact that, with just six months left on his contract, he had as many as 30 clubs interested in him - including Juventus and Manchester United.

This is from the above article. Like I said I'm not sure how well he will do here but it seems like he was rated pretty highly by a lot of clubs by the looks of it.

JamDav1982

From what have heard he was not all the highly rated by Arsenal or had any of those big clubs in for him by time left.

Fucking Rangers seemed to be one of the closest to getting him.

This is not some reverse Fabregas where Barca have signed a hugely rated youngster but seems more like Barca taking a punt on a young player who may develop.

messi1995

Gerard López: "McGuane has adapted well. He is a complete player. Perhaps he just lacks that calmness on the ball, that pause in terms of our positional play, but he has everything else we need in the middle of the pitch." #fcbblive [espn]

Lol so basically he lacks all the basics to succeed at Barça, but according to Lopez and some fanbase here he was a good signing and I'm just negative. Lool I have even watched him play and he's just a younger Paulinho. Only because Wenger praised him doesn't mean he was a good signing. He's just a physically player that likes to run around and do absolutely nothing.

And this is why I'm tired of being called for negative. I always want the best for the team I support, so as a fan I have the right to voice my opinion. In the first team I have nothing to complain about except for our squad depth and some players I think is very average. But then I blame the board for that because who else am I gonna blame for lack of good players? And in the B team we have an average coach that thinks about results over development. Also lacks ideas + playing with no system. And then bench youth players like Riqui which had a good game last time for a Mcguane which provide with zero contribution in a team like Barca. And why did he bench Riqui for Mcguane? Not because he's better and offers more, but because the latter is way more physically stronger and can help Lopez park the bus lmfao. I don't think Lopez will stay after this season so I hope my man from Juvenil A will take over. As for this board I can't wait till they are gone in 2021 (hopefully earlier) so we can get a president that always want the best for this club. I'm not negative, just want Barca to succeed in both first and B team.

Last edited:

messi1995

Read in page 1 on this thread about what I wrote about the deal. Never was for the signing of Mcguane. Didn't know about him, but then decided to know more about the player. Asked my cousin about him who is an Arsenal fan and he said: "decent to be honest, but he still isn't technically good enough. he doesn't fit your team". I Watched one or two game of him and had a conclusion: "The english Paulinho". And from what I've watched of him turned out be correct. This is why I rather prefer Jandro Orellana and Oriol Busi over him. Why? They both will bench him easily. Also he doesn't fit the profile which is important for our playing style. But people here thought he was an excellent signing lool without even watching him.

And by the way I was angry that Mcguanne played over Riqui only because Lopez could park the bus. Riqui in one game has done more than Mcguanne since January. And no I don't care if he is a B team player and Riqui not. If you don't perform then others will take over. Riqui controlled the game when he was subbed in the last time he played. Deserved a new chance but Lopez cared more about results.

Tired of people saying I'm negative when I am not? Just stating fact which has been proven to be correct. I can also be postive? I like that Lopez gave Riqui the B team debut. Also liked the signing of Jorge Cuenca. So no I'm not negative but I'm complaining about things I want us to fix.

Last edited:

Joan

ReadAnd by the way I was angry that Mcguanne played over Riqui only because Lopez could park the bus. Riqui in one game has done more than Mcguanne since January. And no I don't care if he is a B team player and Riqui not. If you don't perform then others will take over. Riqui controlled the game when he was subbed in the last time he played. Deserved a new chance but Lopez cared more about results.
People on this forum dread defending.

Riqui did deserve a new chance and he'll surely get it, but it wasn't an even game. They pressed us high in the end, Roqui is himswlf weak, could lose the ball, cause a counter, might not be able to cope with the pressure etc.
It might hurt his confidence. Similar story to the one of Dembele.

We are quite close to relegation, Gerard is supposed to care about the results. Not every game is suited for integrating youngsters.

Home of Barca Fans