Lliga | Round 21: FC Barcelona - Alaves 2-1

raskolnikov

I feel we didnt deserve the win. Both our goals shouldnt have counted had the refs done their job and Umtiti handball was a clear penalty. Guess it makes up for Celta and Valencia but I dont like it. Very frustrating match. No Busquets shows.

JamDav1982

Alaves sat deep/narrow and team lacked anyone who could hurt them on the outside of that.

Iniesta wont go down outside on left barely ever although did on goal and Coutinho wont on other side.

Lack of pace and width in the attacking third was making it too easy to defend. With Alba left back and Dembele on the right should change.

utility73

In that situation it doesn't matter if it's on purpose or not. Umtiti had an unfair advantage by having his hand too far from his body.

Actually intention is THE deciding factor if a handball is foul play or not. Everything else like the position of the hands, etc. etc. is only used to assess if the handball was intentional. So if Umtiti might have had his hand too far away from his body in anticipation of eventually blocking a shot than that might be a reason to call. I couldn‘t tell from the situation, but if ref would have given a PK I probably wouldn‘t have complained too much either.

Good thing the ref did not see the Titi handball. Then again Barca has been robbed many times before and this merely evened things up a bit with VAR or not.

Last edited:

mateopol

Umtiti took immunity from Mascherano at making fouls and handballs in penalty area without ref giving penalty to opposing team. Just remember Mascherano foul on Vasquez in 2 minute of Clasico 2016-17 on CN and vs PSG foul Masche on Di Maria. Umtiti fouled vs Valencia last season and also should have been penalty. I would call Umtiti Immunity Man from now.

Poor performance like in most matches of the season, a lot of sloppy passes but a lot of luck. This season we play poorly, I don't buy the love of Cules to Valverde, but we will win La Liga for sure and Copa del Rey so it will be positive season if RM doesn't win Champions League. We won't win CL for sure.

Centauri B

Umtiti took immunity from Mascherano at making fouls and handballs in penalty area without ref giving penalty to opposing team. Just remember Mascherano foul on Vasquez in 2 minute of Clasico 2016-17 on CN and vs PSG foul Masche on Di Maria. Umtiti fouled vs Valencia last season and also should have been penalty. I would call Umtiti Immunity Man from now.

Poor performance like in most matches of the season, a lot of sloppy passes but a lot of luck. This season we play poorly, I don't buy the love of Cules to Valverde, but we will win La Liga for sure and Copa del Rey so it will be positive season if RM doesn't win Champions League. We won't win CL for sure.

Yes, you are right, butthurt fans of opposing clubs are right to call us Uefalona.

And yes, we play like crap, only to luck out the best results in all of Europe this season.

Horatio

You're welcome
If you would believe the fans we haven't been playing well ever since Pep left Barca, even though under him there were poor games from time to time. But memories get glorified as time passes.

Zincubus

Banned
I feel we didnt deserve the win. Both our goals shouldnt have counted had the refs done their job and Umtiti handball was a clear penalty. Guess it makes up for Celta and Valencia but I dont like it. Very frustrating match. No Busquets shows.

How was that a penalty ! Only a Madrid fan would think that tbh

It was blasted at him from 6 inches and he didn't move at all ..

raskolnikov

How was that a penalty ! Only a Madrid fan would think that tbh

It was blasted at him from 6 inches and he didn't move at all ..

Its not intentional (rarely any handball is). At some point ablocked chance becomes a chance. If we were in this position I would scream penalty as well.

Zincubus

Banned
That's half the story. The other half is Wakaso should have been sent off very early in the game for a nasty foul on Coutinho while on a yellow. We also had a possible PK ourselves for a push on Suarez. Suarez himself should've seen red late in the game.

There were 4-5 big decisions that the ref didn't take right, because he is a poor one. Nobody knows if Alaves even make it until half time with 10 men, instead of 11.
That guy also did Couthino again in or near the penalty box , no foul given again even though it was high , reckless and left Cout limping for a while

Centauri B

I thought that our victory was more than deserved, we created a lot of chances.

Only black spot, that Alaves managed to launch two great counters behind our defense in the first half, one of which resulted in a goal.

mateopol

If you would believe the fans we haven't been playing well ever since Pep left Barca, even though under him there were poor games from time to time. But memories get glorified as time passes.

You think we are playing good this season? If you weren't Barcelona fan you wouldn't call most of our wins truly deserving, we've got luck this season but we struggle to create clear cut chances, our passing is average in most matches, ter Stegen has to bail us many times and in Champions League we didn't score away from home (Coates was own goal). I would call our performances this season 7/10 and I am a fan from late nineties where there was a lot of Dutch players in the squad, not Guardiola lover. Still PSG and City are playing much better than us in this season and only people who are still butthurt about Neymar leaving, will call this Valverde side some vintage version of Barca.

We won't win Champions League 100%.

Centauri B

You think we are playing good this season? If you weren't Barcelona fan you wouldn't call most of our wins truly deserving, we've got luck this season but we struggle to create clear cut chances, our passing is average in most matches, ter Stegen has to bail us many times and in Champions League we didn't score away from home (Coates was own goal). I would call our performances this season 7/10 and I am a fan from late nineties where there was a lot of Dutch players in the squad, not Guardiola lover. Still PSG and City are playing much better than us in this season and only people who are still butthurt about Neymar leaving, will call this Valverde side some vintage version of Barca.

We have the best defense in Europe this season.

Often this is the most important factor for winning the CL. Also, both City and Bayern had some lousy games and lots of luck this season.

raskolnikov

We can beat anyone.

Horatio

You're welcome

I think our position in La Liga is more than deserving. Over today's game I would have accepted the loss. Enough arguments for not deserving it I agree.
And CL always involves a bit of luck. It's going to be tough. I just take every match as I see them with CL. Just hope for the double at least this season.

When I look at Barca I usually worry about the long-term. Our future is looking much brighter now than last season. If CL escapes us, tough luck but at least we have something to build on next season.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans