Mascherano bids Barca farewell

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FC Barcelona prepared a farewell event for Barca legend Javier Mascherano. Argentine defender will be moving to China after completing more than 7 brilliant years at Barca.

26904284_953266164839603_6721207090081457477_n.jpg

'It has been seven and half spectacular years with a fantastic group in the dressing room and I never imagined being here so long' said the Argentine at his farewell event at the Auditori 1899 at Camp Nou.

“That the people that you work with every day value you is the best motivation that you can have.” Words from Javier Mascherano that perfectly define his stature as a person and as a player at FC Barcelona during the farewell event held for the Argentinian at the Auditori 1899 at Camp Nou attended by president Bartomeu and first team players past and present.

Dream is over

The defender, visibly emotional, explained the reasons behind his decision to bring down the curtain on his seven and a half year career at FC Barcelona that saw him claim 18 trophies with the Club. “I fulfilled a dream coming to Barça and now it is time to wake up,” said Mascherano. “My time here lasted more than I thought, seven and a half spectacular seasons with a fantastic group in the dressing room,” he continued.

Tackle on Bendtner

Mascherano did not highlight any particular trophy of the 18 he has claimed as a blaugrana but he did stress the important of his famous tackle on Niklas Bendtner in the Champions League quarter-final at Camp Nou against Arsenal. “That moment marked a before and after in my relationship with the fans. Up until then it had not been easy for me but that tackle gave me the confidence to bring things to the team. There are moments that are important to you and that one was an important positive for me,” revealed the Argentine.

Decision to leave

“I had been thinking about leaving for a while now. The passage of time was an indication. I was featuring less and less and that was becoming increasingly difficult for me. Before compromising the Club and it ending badly, I sought a solution so that we could end it in the best possible fashion. Finishing my time in the elite of world football at Barça makes me incredibly proud.”

Playing for Barca

“It has been a spectacular dream. It is a very special Club and I feel privileged to have been part of it. Barça is much bigger than you could ever imagine.”

“I have never wanted to be a role model. I have simply tried to be myself and words go hand in hand with deeds. After seven and a half seasons I have been the lucky one to have formed part of this team which has made history.”

Future

“I am thinking about the future. I would like to try it, but now is not the time. I am grateful for the gesture by the board.”

(Source: Barca official website)

Home of Barca Fans