2406556_w2.jpg

2531137_w1.jpg

The new competition explained

Anthem:

[youtube]zNrwcAQCtkE[/youtube]

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
I have to say I really like this. Very revolutionary on paper and I hope nations get behind this to make it work. In its current format it works superb. We're getting loads of meaningful great games in League A and teams in League D get to compete at their level while retaining a chance at playoffs.

I wonder which nation is going to be the first to be a dick and realise that you're better off getting relegated to League C or D :lol: I hope they don't exploit this though, good quality games are most welcome.

Any word on if teams will still play friendlies with nations outside of Europe in between all of these fixtures?

Windhook

It's innovative, but still poorly explained in many countries. A lot of confusion, even some believe that League D winners automatically get qualifying spots for Euro 2020.:lol:

Windhook

From what I understand: These are just glorified friendlies right?

Hmm, not really. UEFA Nations League give 4 direct qualifying spots for UEFA Euro 2020 tournament. The other 20 spots are decided by the regular Qualifying campaigns. That means Netherlands might opt-out to finish last in their qualifying group and win the Nations League playoff match.

On the other hand this new tournament is bad for clubs, because international players will have to play to their maximum for both club and country.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
On the other hand this new tournament is bad for clubs, because international players will have to play to their maximum for both club and country.

I was thinking about this honestly. The argument was that players wouldn't play more because it would replace friendlies, but it all depends on how serious countries and players will take this league.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The nations competitions will have better qualities if the numbers of Club matches is reduced. Top European leagues have to reduce their first division teams to 18 and their cup tournaments into single-match knock-out format in order to make more space for the Nation's competitions and for the players to have more time to rest and recover.

FinBarcelonafan

The nations competitions will have better qualities if the numbers of Club matches is reduced. Top European leagues have to reduce their first division teams to 18 and their cup tournaments into single-match knock-out format in order to make more space for the Nation's competitions and for the players to have more time to rest and recover.

Teams don't make money from International games from my understanding. Why would they do that?

khaled_a_d

Or better, reduce NT games

El Gato

Villarato!
So what's the incentive for teams to care about this?

Depends which teams. Low seeded teams like Armenia, Georgia et al will have a better chance of qualifying since they'll be playing teams at their level. Top seeds will get to test themselves against exclusively other top seeds drawing more money from fan attendance, TV and they get a shiny trophy out of it and some prize money. And a Euro playoff spot if not qualified from their group.

Don't really see immediate profit for those mid-tier teams i.e. Denmark, Sweden etc, but same logic applies. And I actually think those mid-tier teams will care most about playoff spots earned from this, because top teams will be more likely to try harder to grind their points out in their respective groups rather than win Nations League playoffs.

LeeRomeno

Definitely prefer this to random friendlies. Coming from small nation, i also think that fighting against beatable opponents and actually having a real chance of qualifying to Euros is more fun.

Trickykid

If anyone's bored and looking for a cheap laugh, go look up Denmark vs Slovakia in 5 mins. Due to a dispute between our national football federation and the players, we're fielding a team of futsal players tonight against Slovakia. It will be a slaughter.

Home of Barca Fans