Juan Miranda

Joan

Well we know *someone* hasn't been keeping up...

giphy.webp

Andrew M

Well we know *someone* hasn't been keeping up...

It's perfectly natural to compare young players to the best in the world because they are our frame of reference. When we see a young midfielder we will unconsciously compare them to Xavi, as people are now with Arthur. I assume we want the best FBs in the world, right? They are an incredibly important position these days and should strike fear into opponents with their runs and the positions they take up. Think of Lahm, Alaba, Dani Alves, Marcelo, Mendy, Walker, Felipe Luis etc. FBs are not there to just keep things tidy in our own half.

I have said I advocate giving a young FB Digne's place in the squad.

henias

It's perfectly natural to compare young players to the best in the world because they are our frame of reference. When we see a young midfielder we will unconsciously compare them to Xavi, as people are now with Arthur. I assume we want the best FBs in the world, right? They are an incredibly important position these days and should strike fear into opponents with their runs and the positions they take up. Think of Lahm, Alaba, Dani Alves, Marcelo, Mendy, Walker, Felipe Luis etc. FBs are not there to just keep things tidy in our own half.

I have said I advocate giving a young FB Digne's place in the squad.

And it's perfectly unrealistic because it's only one fucking match lol.

It's definitely natural to compare young players but from what I see you are nitpicking because he didnt do a certain move at a certain moment in one match and simply assumed he wouldnt be able to do that in next few matches, while keeping in mind that this is just one match. Players are not going to be self concious on how they play in real live matches and impress for the sake of impressing. He's focusing on teamplay and game reading and I respect that. He shown great composure, intelligence and some slick passing which really impressed. Naturally they will get into more dangerous situations when they have the chance.

It's still virtually impossible and too premature to tell everything from one match. In any case, he is a young player that has plenty of room to grow. It's still too far fetched comparing him to veterans who has already played hundreds of games. These comparisons, or should I say expectations, are just too cringy.

Andrew M

And it's perfectly unrealistic because it's only one fucking match lol.

It's definitely natural to compare young players but from what I see you are nitpicking because he didnt do a certain move at a certain moment in one match and simply assumed he wouldnt be able to do that in next few matches, while keeping in mind that this is just one match. Players are not going to be self concious on how they play in real live matches and impress for the sake of impressing. He's focusing on teamplay and game reading and I respect that. He shown great composure, intelligence and some slick passing which really impressed. Naturally they will get into more dangerous situations when they have the chance.

It's still virtually impossible and too premature to tell everything from one match. In any case, he is a young player that has plenty of room to grow. It's still too far fetched comparing him to veterans who has already played hundreds of games. These comparisons, or should I say expectations, are just too cringy.

Yes, it's only one friendly match, but my response was to a few people who said he was fantastic and has amazing talent. Given those comments I expected something more.

I would describe his performance as solid and a good base from which to build. If EV has him as Alba's backup this season I have no issue with that but he will need to show more in attack in the future.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Getting a pre-assist with a long switch and playing a lobbed through ball behind the defense aren't contributing to offense now? Those are two passes that Alba has barely done in his career let alone in a single game.

It's not just about just running with your head down to overlap->cross. Being an offensive fullback requires you to read the situation and play into space in a way that keeps the attack going and progresses it. Miranda's reading of the game was superb for his debut.

There were a number of plays not on that highlights comp where Miranda had linkups/forward passes down the flank under tight pressure that were very nice. I actually think the comp missed a fair bit of his impressive play, and he was showing the ability to progress the ball under any pressure or circumstances. If you insist on comparing him to the best, Marcelo often plays those passes up the flank when it calls for it to stretch the defense further and keep things moving forward. Alba doesn't, and just insists with low efficiency crosses on overlaps where he rarely ever contributes individually. Marcelo also switches the play ALL the time for RM, that's a big part of how they keep the defenses stretched and on the back foot.

You probably just saw that shit overhit throughball by Denis and complained about how "unathletic" he is without paying attention to much else.

This comp is much more complete. Shows how composed he is in a number of different scenarios in buildup and with different kinds of passes. And all of this was in only 45 mins of play, hardly the craziest thing that he didn't have an overlap->cross in one half.

Last edited:

Andrew M

[MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] - Thanks for taking the time to post a different comp. However, I can't say my opinion has changed particularly.

I would say he was steady and played fine. I just feel people were getting bit carried away with his performance

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I think people are excited to see the youth prospects play well. It's clear he's promising, but the fans eagerness to see them do well is the reason behind the exceptional praise.

henias

[MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] - Thanks for taking the time to post a different comp. However, I can't say my opinion has changed particularly.

I would say he was steady and played fine. I just feel people were getting bit carried away with his performance

Nobody's carried away. You are. Comparing him with Marcelo and the likes.

henias

If you say somebody is an amazing talent you are indirectly comparing them with the best.

Not really. Just saying he has potential and has talent, doesnt really translate to them being a great just yet.

How about you continue being carried away with being the "devil's advocate" and stop spouting nonsense on here.

khaled_a_d

Is there any chance we promote him instead of Cucu?

Don't think so, Miranda is younger with less experience in B team. I think he is better talent but I think Cucu is more ready -and currently better- for the jump.
tbh I just watched both Spurs game and Roma in past 24 hours and I don't get why people hyping Miranda over Cucu that much.
Let the kid have normal path in our system, rushing Munir didn't do him any good.

Home of Barca Fans