Canadian Blaugrana

CanadianBlaugrana

Hello Barca Forums,

Nice to meet you all. My name is Brandon, I was born in Canada but have Catalan heritage on my Mother's side of the family. All though I only speak English and am quite horrible at learning another language. I find the Catalan and Spanish language to be very beautiful.

I'm 43 years old and have been a FCB supporter since 1990. Johan Cruyff is my most beloved Barca player because of his significant contributions to the teams style of play. Andrés Iniesta would be my current squad player favourite. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to Camp Nou and watched matches a number of times over the years. I'll always treasure every trip I've ever had to the wonderful Catalan region and country of Spain.

My favourite Barcelona memory was watching Cruyff's Barca team win the Champions League in 1991-92. Additionally, I'm also an ABU, so winning the 2009 and 2011 finals were extremely satisfying. Nowadays, I'm really enjoying FCB under Ernesto Valverde who I respected greatly at Bilbao. Despite 2017 being one of the worst summers for Barcelona, Ernesto's hard work and progressive pragmatism have completely turned things around with one of the best possible responses so far.

I look forward to becoming better acquainted with many of you in these forums and hope to learn a lot.

Thank you,

Brandon

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Brandon!

Great to have another guy who's been following Barca since the 90s :wave:

CanadianBlaugrana

Hi Barcaman,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forums. It's a pleasure to meet you. I would imagine we are close in age then. Growing up in Canada, La Liga was not readily available without a satellite dish. I remember being on my balcony repositioning it while my brother was inside checking on the tv. Good times (except for the Champions League Final of 1993-94 against A.C. Milan). The Barcelona teams of the 90's were great and I have a real nostalgia for that time period.

Take care,

Brandon

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Cruyff's Barca was special and yeah the nostalgia is real but sometimes I think it's also because I miss being a kid. :lol:
Either way, it was more about team than the players back then. Cruyff had his stars but system and identity were always above. Both of those things are going away and so is the sense of being unique like having clean sponsorless blugrana shirt, etc.

I hoped Guardiola would continue Cruyff's legacy for years to come but he had other plans and next hopeful Xavi seems to be enjoying Qatar bit too much and a bit too long.

But who knows what the future holds, this club is full of surprises.

CanadianBlaugrana

I miss being a kid too. Playing football and dreaming of becoming pro, discovering rock and roll music, eating candy, family vacations and Nintendo games were such fun times.

Yes, Cruyff is definitely “team focused” and the results proved it. Pep certainly learned from him those important lessons.

Today’s modern game is even more of business than ever before. Big money, big transfers and big stars are the order of the day but the game of football is still as powerful as ever for me. I agree about having a sponsor on our shirt - necessary evil I’m afraid.

This club is definitely full of surprises which is another reason I love it so much!

Take care.

Home of Barca Fans