Kepa Arrizabalaga

xXKonan

Well there's rumors Oblak wasn't interested in leaving Atletico so they moved onto Kepa.

Chelsea were looking at Jack Butland as well but he doesn't fit what Sarri wants out of a Goalkeeper.

xXKonan

Well Oblak probably likes Stability.

Chelsea have always been a chaotic with very little stability in terms of coaches. I mean sure they won a lot of titles in the past 15 years but with Atletico he will not only compete for trophies but also know full and well that Simeone will be there managing next season.

Ascom

He could have left to Real a couple of months ago for 25 million but Zidane blocked because he thought it would overshadow his son.

Messi983

No offense to Cillessen, but imo, big clubs like Chelsea and similar are buying players who are PROVEN starters in big clubs, who have proved themselves in a big league.
Cillessen played at Ajax and Dutch NT, but still, he never played a full season for a La liga or EPL side as a starter.

Of course, there are always some examples of a relatively unknown GK making it at a big club, but in general, experience is underrated on our forum.
He is young and has potential, doesn't apply for Gks (not that Cillessen is young), but it also doesn't apply for a lot of big clubs, unless a player is out of this world or very cheap.

What do you say now? :)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Really strange from Chelsea. He's quality and young, but that's a lot of money.

I think Jasper's age really goes against him too. Most teams want young GKs they either can have for a very long time or sell for a profit later on.

The guy is really talented though. If he plays to his potential then de Gea better watch out as his spot for Spain will be in danger.

Pfmpd1

Well, for all the stick we took for signing Alisson for 56m... Chelsea have smashed that again.

Chelsea fans feeling a bit stupid now I think. Egg... Face comes to mind.

Messi983

Yeah, if Cillessen would be 2-3 years younger I think there would be a higher possibility for Chelsea to buy him but even at 29 he still has 4-6 years at the top level ahead of him and I would rather pay 30M for Jasper than 80M for Kepa. It's possible Kepa can turn into Chelsea's Buffon and stay there for 15 years but at the same time it's also possible that he won't adapt well to the new league/bigger club,... of just fail under high expectations record transfer fee will bring on his shoulders.

Anyway, if nothing unexpected will happen it looks like we'll keep Jasper for another season and I'm more than ok with this.

FinBarcelonafan

Yeah, if Cillessen would be 2-3 years younger I think there would be a higher possibility for Chelsea to buy him but even at 29 he still has 4-6 years at the top level ahead of him and I would rather pay 30M for Jasper than 80M for Kepa. It's possible Kepa can turn into Chelsea's Buffon and stay there for 15 years but at the same time it's also possible that he won't adapt well to the new league/bigger club,... of just fail under high expectations record transfer fee will bring on his shoulders.

Anyway, if nothing unexpected will happen it looks like we'll keep Jasper for another season and I'm more than ok with this.

I agree. This is a huge gamble. Cillessen would have been safer choice.

Arizona Scott

And Liverpool did the smart thing for getting Alisson for less than Kepa, and way less than Oblak's release clause. Given how they seem to want their keepers to play, Chelsea and Real may rue that they didn't interact with Roma first.

Home of Barca Fans