Copa | Round of 16: FC Barcelona - Celta Vigo 6-1 agg.

FCBfan22

He will come on today. Most likely for Iniesta. The 3 subs will probably be Paulinho, Dembele and Roberto.

JamDav1982

Dembele needs to start getting minutes to get properly integrated into the team before the CL knockouts roll around if we are to have any chance to win the competition. I fear this is another short sighted decision from Valverde unless he feels Dembele isn't fit enough yet to start twice in a week.

He is obviously wary of playing him too often and to label it 'another' short sighted decision is a joke.

Joan

Dembele needs to start getting minutes to get properly integrated into the team before the CL knockouts roll around if we are to have any chance to win the competition. I fear this is another short sighted decision from Valverde unless he feels Dembele isn't fit enough yet to start twice in a week.

which are other short-sighted decisions from Valverde?

JamDav1982

Starting bench warmers against Sporting in a dead rubber match instead of giving minutes to youngsters. Not even one B team player was called up for that match.

Bench warmers that Barca may rely on and need minutes as well and players Valverde was still making decisions on it seems.

Joan

Starting bench warmers against Sporting in a dead rubber match instead of giving minutes to youngsters. Not even one B team player was called up for that match.

I wouldn't call it shortsighted. As Cruijff once said choose the best for every position and you'll end up not with a strong 11 but with 11 strong ones. What I mean is that considering it that way you are underestimating the value of the system, in the first place, and the chemistry and understanding among the players in the second.
Valverde has a team which consists of starters and bench warmers. It is almost equally important for the second group to have mutual understanding and cooperation developed as it is for the first one. That way our bench players can be trusted to cope with easier matches (as they were in the first leg against Celta) and possibly used to accommodate youngsters into Valverde's system (Arnaiz last week).

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Nothing to worry about. He isnt even debating or arguing with u to begin with. It's just unnecessary.

Good stuff. Now block me if it bothers you.

Go back to telling us how shit the squad is, how shit Valverde is, how lucky Barca are and will get turned over by any top side.

JamDav1982

Good point, but guys the likes of Paco, Vidal, Gomes, Deulofeu aren't going to be here in a few years, hell Valverde is looking to move most of them out now. The aforementioned players were brought in to play bit roles and they should be able to perform well when called upon. It shouldn't be the coaches job to gift them extra minutes to help grow their understanding and squad cohesion.

Nobody's asking Valverde to play every youngster at every given opportunity, but in a dead rubber match like the one against Sporting could he not have afforded to rest maybe a Suarez and Rakitic and give an opportunity to two of our best prospects to help further their development? Again, he is fully within his rights as the manager of this club to give minutes to bench players to help boost their confidence and form, but are you really trying to tell me he couldn't find two spots in the lineup for two of the B team's best players?

It is a fairly important game that he wants to rotate and win.

Arnaiz has just started three previous cup games and Alena started two of them.

Sporting game maybe but he had squad players he still seemed to be assessing a bit or needed game time. Todays game is not another example of anything.

Raketa10

No Arnaiz. No Alena.

One of these days... One of these days...

Arnaiz is on the bench which is ok, Alena is in the stands unfortunately. To be fair it’s logical decision since Paco is still out so he needed another striker on the bench so he had to go with Arnaiz. As Gomes is playing he had to discard one of Paulinho or Alena. Unfortunately it was Alena. :(

We have to many midfielders right now and that’s a problem for Alena. Things will change in summer if we sell Gomes, Denis and Rafinha.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans