Darts

Messi983

I'm a big fan of darts. 2018 World Championship is currently going on. Anyone watching?

Great tournament with a lot of surprises so far, the biggest one is No. 2 in the world Peter Wright going out yesterday vs. unranked Jamie Lewis. Today 3rd round will conclude with another 6 matches and then we'll have quarterfinals tomorrow and semifinals on Saturday with final on New Years day.

It's also the last WC for the greatest darts player of all time Phil "The Power" Taylor who will retire after the tournament so I hope he can win his 17th title. But Michael van Gerwen is still a clear favourite even though he had more problems than expected last night against Gerwyn Price.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I used to play darts in bars sometimes. Never really a fan of watching though. Like snooker it's just not as interesting for me unless I'm playing.

Messi983

Oh God. Now Barcaforum has succumbed as well...

Not a fan? :D

BTW, quaterfinals today:

Lewis vs Webster
van den Bergh vs Cross

in the afternoon between four players that have already exceeded my expectations by coming so far.

And then two great matchups in the evening:

van Gerwen vs van Barneveld
Taylor vs Anderson

Last edited:

Gilberto

It's not the most physical of sports but more physical than you might think. Darts players take a lot of steps on game nights and occasionaly get injuries in their elbows/shoulders and (lower) backs. It takes a lot of focus and a steady hand to throw darts where you want them to go with thousands of noisy, drunk fans behind you. I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is my take on it. I certainly don't think darts is the most impressive sport or whatever, but I think it's entertaining nonetheless.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
It's fine. When I have nothing better to do and Darts is on I might watch it.
Just think it's slightly overrated to be a sport.
It's a pub game glorified as a sport. Still good to watch though when nothing is on.

Messi983

Phil Taylor vs Rob Cross final today

Cross has upset Van Gerwen on Saturday in a nail-biter (MvG had 6 match darts).

Messi983

7-2, Amazing performance from Cross and fully deserved title. :worthy:

I wonder if he could seriously challenge Van Gerwen in the future.

Gilberto

7-2, Amazing performance from Cross and fully deserved title. :worthy:

I wonder if he could seriously challenge Van Gerwen in the future.

Indeed a brilliant performance from Cross. Yeah, can't wait to see if he can keep playing at this level. I love the fact that Taylor retires and immediately passes on the Torch to cross. Poetic stuff haha.

Horatio

You're welcome
It's not the most physical of sports but more physical than you might think. Darts players take a lot of steps on game nights and occasionaly get injuries in their elbows/shoulders and (lower) backs. It takes a lot of focus and a steady hand to throw darts where you want them to go with thousands of noisy, drunk fans behind you. I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is my take on it. I certainly don't think darts is the most impressive sport or whatever, but I think it's entertaining nonetheless.

One thing that does impress me is that indeed just the slightest loss of concentration can mess up your game. Probably the 'sport' that allows the smallest margin of error.
You're either in the zone 98% of the time or it can cost you.

Messi983

Indeed a brilliant performance from Cross. Yeah, can't wait to see if he can keep playing at this level. I love the fact that Taylor retires and immediately passes on the Torch to cross. Poetic stuff haha.

It seeemed like Taylor wasn't even too disappointed that he lost against Cross. I wonder if he'd felt different had he played against MvG (I know this sound strange but I think he'd actually have better chances against him because he wouldn't be a favourite and could play with less pressure, if that's even possible in the final and last game of his career), Barney or another player that he had a longer rivalry with instead of Cross.

Or it could be that he just felt he has no chance to win after bad start and wanted to enjoy his last moments on the big stage. That missed 9th dart also probably fully broke him. I think he would go back into the game had he scored that double 12. But even if not it would still be a great way to say goodbye as he's never thrown a 9-darter in World Championship (probably the only thing we can say he's never done).

Professional Darts Corporation chairman Barry Hearn has revealed the 10-man field for this year’s Thursday-night circus beginning on February 1 – and it’s the biggest shake-up in the competition’s 14-year history.

Michael van Gerwen, Peter Wright, Gary Anderson, Daryl Gurney, Mensur Suljovic, Rob Cross, Raymond van Barneveld, Simon Whitlock, Michael Smith, Gerwyn Price

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/darts/darts-2018-premier-league-axes-11782775

So no James Wade and Adrian Lewis. Cross, Gurney, Suljovic and Price will participate for the first time.

JamDav1982

Taylor doesnt really like MVG and he seems chuffed someone has come along to challenge him properly going forward.

Home of Barca Fans