CL | 1/8 Finals: FC Barcelona - Chelsea 4-1 agg.

Not too fussed about "not being able to score". The ideal tournament team, in my book, is Atletico Madrid but with more firepower upfront. A well-drilled, energetic 2 banks of four with intelligent midfield pressing but instead of dross like washed up Torres, washed up David Villa or Adrian Lopez, 2 genuine world class forwards and Atletico win 2 CLs in 3 years, no question.

Well, that's what we have now. 2 well-drilled banks of 4 which do not concede or get outplayed plus Messi and Suarez upfront. I fancy our chances a lot more than with MSN + 3 midfielders of which 1 had to do Messi's defensive duties.

Also ter Stegen is insanely good on penalties. Him instead of Oblak in 2016 and Atletico wins the CL.

Still think we can and should thrash Chelsea (mainly just want payback for 2012 :lol:) but the rest of the CL we'll probably be relying on ter stegen and the defense to give us narrow wins. For some reason I get the feeling we're going to get into at least one penalty shootout.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

We haven't been good in a while. Look at our results lately vs so so teams like Espanyol, Valencia without most of their starters, Alaves etc. We are not in good form and that's the only reason why Getafe performed so well. We are just not good at the moment. We are struggling vs every team we play.

Ever since the switch to the 4-2-3-1 we've been atrocious. Play the 4-4-2 against Chelsea like this;

-Roberto-Pique-Umtiti-Alba-
-Paulinho-Rakitic-Busquets-Iniesta-
------Messi----------Suarez-------

or switch back to a 4-3-3 False 9;

----------------MaTS------------------
-Roberto----Pique----Umtit----Alba-
----Rakitic----Busquets----Iniesta----
-Dembélé-------Messi-------Suarez-

My preference would be the 4-3-3 because Chelsea usually play with 3 at the back.

I'm no fan of the 4-4-2 as everybody knows but we're toothless in a 4-2-3-1 and I can't believe that there are people that actually want us to play that shit show system.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Ever since the switch to the 4-2-3-1 we've been atrocious. Play the 4-4-2 against Chelsea like this;

-Roberto-Pique-Umtiti-Alba-
-Paulinho-Rakitic-Busquets-Iniesta-
------Messi----------Suarez-------

or switch back to a 4-3-3 False 9;

----------------MaTS------------------
-Roberto----Pique----Umtit----Alba-
----Rakitic----Busquets----Iniesta----
-Dembélé-------Messi-------Suarez-

My preference would be the 4-3-3 because Chelsea usually play with 3 at the back.

I'm no fan of the 4-4-2 as everybody knows but we're toothless in a 4-2-3-1 and I can't believe that there are people that actually want us to play that shit show system.

You have obsession with formations. Messi roams the pitch to find space. Iniesta doesn't play wide whatever the nominal formation is. One guy already provided heat maps from last 5 seasons and it clearly shows Iniesta occupies same areas.

M

MessiCam

You are obsession with formations. Messi roams the pitch to find space. Iniesta doesn't play wide whatever the nominal formation is. One guy already provided heat maps from last 5 seasons and it clearly shows Iniesta occupies same areas.

That's because it is critical to how Barcelona plays. Or do you want the players to play where they want? Like Coutinho, Paulinho and Paco... Since his move to a pivot role Rakitic is also all over the place... He doesn't know if he should be to the right of Busquets or to the left. It's total chaos.

Regardless of what you may say... Formations define spaces, roles and allow for your teammates to pick you out almost instinctively and as a result the ball keeps moving.

And no Iniesta does not occupy the same spaces. He is playing significantly wider...

This is 15/16

IMG_0460.jpg

This is 16/17

IMG_0463.jpg

And this is 17/18

IMG_0462.jpg

In the 17/18 heatmap he is predominantly playing wide and in the half space on the left. Notice how often he is playing wide in the final third too. So no. Iniesta is not playing as a central midfielder. I can show his maps in the Champions League too if you'd like as well as his average position when playing with a double pivot and a single pivot.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not that different at all. Valverde is fitting in key players in their best positions or closest he can and he is doing a great job.

Pepe Silvia

Each day that passes and every match that we play I'm getting less and less confident. All it would take is Hazard finding form for one night and Messi getting shut down. Our recent form is worrying and not a good sign heading into this tie.
Messi getting shut down means any one of Coutinho, Dembele or Suarez getting an opening to slot one home. Those three are capable of beating their marker on any given day. Add to that someone like Paulinho able to charge into the box and present danger and you have some legitimate threats from Barca all over the pitch.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi getting shut down means any one of Coutinho, Dembele or Suarez getting an opening to slot one home. Those three are capable of beating their marker on any given day. Add to that someone like Paulinho able to charge into the box and present danger and you have some legitimate threats from Barca all over the pitch.

Coutinho is not eligible to play in the CL as he played in the competition for Liverpool this season.

1. Dembele won't start.
2. Coutinho isn't eligible for the CL
3. Suarez can't dribble to save his life, he needs service
4. Paulinho driving forward will leave gaps in our midfield

Pepe Silvia

That's right no Cou, even still this little 'drop in form' that barcaforum keeps referring too is no match for my PTC. With a team with this many weapons, I am very confident of our chances.

henias

Chelsea WILL park a big bus. They know who they are dealing with, even though they lost to some small teams while trying to play from the back. Chances are slim and it will probably be a draw or a narrow win. We dont have much width or Dembele to dismantle the bus.

Home of Barca Fans