CL | 1/8 Finals: FC Barcelona - Chelsea 4-1 agg.

bismp

Not only do we need to score,we need to start playing well and creating chances.Wasting the first half and hoping to score a goal in the second won't be enough against the likes of Chelsea,ManCity,Bayern,Real etc

Take revenge for 2012 against Chelsea and then knock Madrid out. That's all I ask of this CL.

Well,if we achieve this,we may as well take the trophy too :p

Winning would be great (and even realistically achievable, even though not probable), but I would take a domestic double and a CL semi in which we don't get trashed considering where we looked to be at the beginning of the season. Just need to make sure Madrid doesn't take it again.

We could very well win it next year with Dembele and Coutinho fully integrated and Griezmann and Arthur coming in. Just don't go all in on the freaking cdr. Win it this year and I think we'll repeat it because we should by all accounts be much better next season. My biggest worry is how we'll integrate Griezmann.

I will see the season as a bit of a failure if we get knocked out early again though. We need to put up a respectable performance in the cl even if we dont win it.

Last edited:

West Saxon

Barca should win this. England's closest team in quality to Barca is Man City, and they dominated Chelsea at their own ground, winning 1-0 (it should have been more). Chelsea are in bad form and will play very defensively. Their attacking game revolves completely around Hazard, so if Barca keep him quiet, Chelsea look toothless.

Basically, I expect Barca to dominate. It just comes down to whether they can take their chances; if they can, they will win easily.

bismp

Winning would be great (and even realistically achievable, even though not probable), but I would take a domestic double and a CL semi in which we don't get trashed considering where we looked to be at the beginning of the season. Just need to make sure Madrid doesn't take it again.

We could very well win it next year with Dembele and Coutinho fully integrated and Griezmann and Arthur coming in. Just don't go all in on the freaking cdr. Win it this year and I think we'll repeat it because we should by all accounts be much better next season. My biggest worry is how we'll integrate Griezmann.

I will see the season as a bit of a failure if we get knocked out early again though. We need to put up a respectable performance in the cl even if we dont win it.

Next year we'll theoretically have more chances with Dembele and Coutinho fully integrated,but the core of the team will be one year older: Messi 32,Suarez 32,Pique 32,Busquets 31,Rakitic 31,Alba 30,Iniesta 35......

We have to win it this year,or else i'm afraid we'll never win it with Leo again ..

FinBarcelonafan

Next year we'll theoretically have more chances with Dembele and Coutinho fully integrated,but the core of the team will be one year older: Messi 32,Suarez 32,Pique 32,Busquets 31,Rakitic 31,Alba 30,Iniesta 35......

We have to win it this year,or else i'm afraid we'll never win it with Leo again ..

Wow, I didn't realize our core will be that old already. I guess we are all-in then..

vinni

I fairly confident about this tie.

i think we can cope with Hazard, but i have some fear about Pedro, but maybe thats just because i still miss him lol.

Im hoping for 4-4-2 with Semedo as right back and Roberto as RM. If not that, Countinho as RM and Roberto as RB

Countinho has the most experience against this Chelsea, but im unsure if he is properly integrated yet. Then again, iguess that can be said for Semedo as well...

Paulinho can be introduced in the second half if we need him.

soul24rage

I fairly confident about this tie.

i think we can cope with Hazard, but i have some fear about Pedro, but maybe thats just because i still miss him lol.

Im hoping for 4-4-2 with Semedo as right back and Roberto as RM. If not that, Countinho as RM and Roberto as RB

Countinho has the most experience against this Chelsea, but im unsure if he is properly integrated yet. Then again, iguess that can be said for Semedo as well...

Paulinho can be introduced in the second half if we need him.

Semedo is suspended for the first leg and Coutinho can't play in the champions league..

vinni

Oh crap, i totally forgot about Continho. Thats what you get from posting after a few morning bintangs. :) Too bad about Semedo though. I didnt know that.

I dunno then.

Vidal have good energy for pressing, but he is a bit too hot and cold for this fixture.
Gomes could work in a good day just by keeping posession, but i doubt he got any confidence left after that disaster against Valencia.
Paulinho seems more suited for rakitics position. Maybe we could play Raki in RM and Paulinho together with Busi.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Barca should win this. England's closest team in quality to Barca is Man City, and they dominated Chelsea at their own ground, winning 1-0 (it should have been more). Chelsea are in bad form and will play very defensively. Their attacking game revolves completely around Hazard, so if Barca keep him quiet, Chelsea look toothless.

Basically, I expect Barca to dominate. It just comes down to whether they can take their chances; if they can, they will win easily.

Unfortunately, Barca have Roberto to attempt to keep him quiet!

Oh wow. Definitely need to start bringing the replacements in. Coutinho for Iniesta and Arthur for Rakitic is a good start. Griezmann I'm guessing is supposed to be the Suarez replacement. Still not sure how I feel about it really.

Pique's a CB so he has a while left plus we seem to have a ready replacement in Mina.

Messi's irreplaceable. Going to have to start using him smartly to get the best out of him. Definitely going to need to get more rest as he gets older.

I have no idea what the hell to do about Busquets. No player is quite like him. Just pray he keeps beasting it until 35 I guess (strangely enough I can see him doing that for some reason).

Which leaves Alba (jesus even he's going to be 30 next year? How time flies...). Should definitely start looking at LBs soon. And figuring out what the hell we're going to do when Busquets and Messi decide to hang their boots.

Still think we'll have a team that can win CL next year.

kollegah

Imo it all depends on Messis mood.
If he he is on fire, the whole team plays better.
If Messi goes into walking mode and decides not to press chelsea, we have big problems.

BarçaBarça

That is a bit exaggerated: Messi, Busquets will not be 32 and 31 next season, but next summer, so in terms of next CL-campaign it would be more reasonable to name them as 31 and 30 next season, because they play all of next season at that age.

Pique and Busquets one year older shouldn't mean anything at all given the position they are playing.
Suarez, Raktic and Alba could worry if they drop in form, because it would be hard to predict if it can be regained due to age (but then again: Alba and Raktic is 29 and 30 nearly all next season, so no panic there either).

Iniesta as 34 years old all of next season is not much of a worry either - he should play less, but there is no indication so far that he can't top-perform in the important matches, so far. Messi won't lose qualities, but maybe his positioning will change gradually as it already has during the last couple of seasons (so again no real difference between this and next season).

All in all: We should have a better chance next year squad-wise, and with the additions of Griezmann and maybe Arthur we have secured most of the foundations of our future squad (although tweaking will always be necessary).

Home of Barca Fans