CL | 1/8 Finals: FC Barcelona - Chelsea 4-1 agg.

khaled_a_d

Lucho will get a job.

Biggest mystery is why Rijkaard never got a top one after Barça.

Didn't he want it? Was he never offered one? And if not then why?

He was offered to coach PSG b4 and rejected it (and job went to Blanc). He made a mistake of accepting first offer even when it didn't suit him and that affected him
Overall I think he lost interest in football and that was showed when he retired early and focused on his business, along bad agent

LeeRomeno

When I said that I meant the general opinion of most users here because it was just one season and we won everything so it was tough to judge him. Forget trophies we played like shit and tacticless for a majority period under him and hence why he is regarded as an average coach. Stop repeating same BS. Its not just forum posters, no professional considers him great and thats why top teams aren't hiring him and rightfully so. You conveniently left my scolari WC example. Don't rope me in this dumb argument which is hapenning because you are extremely naive.

Rofl, okey, lets forget the trophies. Are you sure you are in correct forum?
It was tough to judge him after we won treble? I would say it was not. What kind of coach is hard to judge after bringing treble?
And no, we did not play like shit and were clueless for majority of period. Thats exaggeration to max. No professional considers him great? Rofl, what kind of ass are you taking those statements from.
What about Scolari? He won WC with Brazil and then next tournament managed to get Portugal to finals as well. He was great national team coach, not so great club coach, those 2 things are totally different. Why you even bring this in. World Cup is cup tournament and every 4 years some team will win it. Treble is an extraordinary achievement in European club football and there are only 7 teams in history of European Football to achieve it, with Luchos season making Barcelona only team to achieve it twice.
What an average coach indeed.

Barcilliant

Lucho was a great motivator and a club legend. Tactically he fell short though. He was pretty damn stubborn too which didn't help.

vlad

Comment about paulinho is awesome "since he has problem facing the play, combining or making the run behind defenders, paulinho was a dead weigh"

Hahaha, what the hell he offers then? what a shit player, valverde deserves even more credit for 1:1 draw, barca played with 10 players, and valverde could pick gomes or paulinho

Neymessi

Rofl, okey, lets forget the trophies. Are you sure you are in correct forum?
It was tough to judge him after we won treble? I would say it was not. What kind of coach is hard to judge after bringing treble?
And no, we did not play like shit and were clueless for majority of period. Thats exaggeration to max. No professional considers him great? Rofl, what kind of ass are you taking those statements from.
What about Scolari? He won WC with Brazil and then next tournament managed to get Portugal to finals as well. He was great national team coach, not so great club coach, those 2 things are totally different. Why you even bring this in. World Cup is cup tournament and every 4 years some team will win it. Treble is an extraordinary achievement in European club football and there are only 7 teams in history of European Football to achieve it, with Luchos season making Barcelona only team to achieve it twice.
What an average coach indeed.

You have been repeating the same shit again and again and again. None of your posts have an argument apart from "But but he won trophies". Its not that tough winning trophies when you have arguably the best front 3 ever.

Your scolari analysis is also retarded and just shows that you are making statements that don't make sense out of desperation after being cornered by your own logic. No a great club coach but an NT coach? Do they play different sports in both? Are there different rules? Now you will say International tournaments are short and blah blah but that won't be true. But forget that. Scolari was a great brazil coach? Do you even football? He was one of the most atrocious big name coaches in recent memory. Just goes on to show that you really rate a manager by his trophy count. I thought you would realize the fault of your logic when I brought the scolari example. Happy delusion mate. He was an atrocious NT manager and way worse than lucho ever was.

eaman

If two shots hiting the post isn't luck in such a tie where absolutely every goal can and usualy is crucial what's luck then?

EV should have gave priority to CL at least a bit, just like Conte did vs. Hull, rotating and resting key players since it's freaking CL. Should also not have started the same lineup as vs. Eibar thus players having only 2 full days of rest. Football is not about chances but about goals, they could've easily scored two or three yet we barely had fortunate onne, ofc they didn't outplayed Barca but could've easilt outscore it.

Slightly lucky but properly lucky would have been if Chelsea had seriously troubled our defence with clear chances and not scored. Willian was the only problem with his half chances. We created a clearer chance that paulinho should have at least hit the target with. Sevilla were more unlucky against United than Chelsea were. They created a clear chance and outplayed United. Chelsea certainly didn't outplay barca

henias

Great analysis.

Paulinho was indeed a terrible deadweight in that game. Surprised EV didnt sub him after halftime even thought his control in tight spaces was terrible, misplacing passes, not utilising space depite being a wide player. I guess using both Rakitic and Paulinho together in games like this is very risky, one of them will be forced wide. Just because it works against Madrid doesnt mean it will work against Chelsea.

Conte was tactically better in that game.

Also, surprised that we didnt use zonal-man marking albeit our conservative 442 and just crowded a few like Hazard, leaving Willian wide open and many times lost our defensive shape. Defending a little like Lucho's days. Need to improve on that.

Will see how EV approach chelsea, at home. Will expect a 4231 attacking but will be very static as Chelsea's back 5 will be hardly tested.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Great analysis.

Paulinho was indeed a terrible deadweight in that game. Surprised EV didnt sub him after halftime even thought his control in tight spaces was terrible, misplacing passes, not utilising space depite being a wide player. I guess using both Rakitic and Paulinho together in games like this is very risky, one of them will be forced wide. Just because it works against Madrid doesnt mean it will work against Chelsea.

Conte was tactically better in that game.

Also, surprised that we didnt use zonal-man marking albeit our conservative 442 and just crowded a few like Hazard, leaving Willian wide open and many times lost our defensive shape. Defending a little like Lucho's days. Need to improve on that.

Will see how EV approach chelsea, at home. Will expect a 4231 attacking but will be very static as Chelsea's back 5 will be hardly tested.

Chelsea need to score in the return leg, they can't park the bus and put 9 players behind the ball like they did in this match.

henias

Chelsea need to score in the return leg, they can't park the bus and put 9 players behind the ball like they did in this match.

Barcelona will still try to keep possession and for sure they will return to parking the bus. Will need to test their back 5 so that they cant counter or transition quick.

I also dont recommend defending against them. Would need someone to man mark Willian alot but then there's Hazard and Alonso doing quick 1-2s.

Prefer we go attacking on them. Much safer.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Barcelona will still try to keep possession and for sure they will return to parking the bus. Will need to test their back 5 so that they cant counter or transition quick.

I also dont recommend defending against them. Would need someone to man mark Willian alot but then there's Hazard and Alonso doing quick 1-2s.

Prefer we go attacking on them. Much safer.

if they park the bus we can just pass the ball for 90 mins without urgency, with a 0-0 we advance.

eaman

if they park the bus we can just pass the ball for 90 mins without urgency, with a 0-0 we advance.

That would be a risky tactic especially if they scored late. What we need to do is replace paulinho with dembele or alcacer press them high and try and get an early goal

LeeRomeno

You have been repeating the same shit again and again and again. None of your posts have an argument apart from "But but he won trophies". Its not that tough winning trophies when you have arguably the best front 3 ever.

Your scolari analysis is also retarded and just shows that you are making statements that don't make sense out of desperation after being cornered by your own logic. No a great club coach but an NT coach? Do they play different sports in both? Are there different rules? Now you will say International tournaments are short and blah blah but that won't be true. But forget that. Scolari was a great brazil coach? Do you even football? He was one of the most atrocious big name coaches in recent memory. Just goes on to show that you really rate a manager by his trophy count. I thought you would realize the fault of your logic when I brought the scolari example. Happy delusion mate. He was an atrocious NT manager and way worse than lucho ever was.

Yea, i feel the same way, feels like I am arguing about whether earth is round or flat. Is football played with 3 players? Why do you keep mentioning that? You can use that random stupid argument of good players winning trophies any coach and top team winning and you are left with being Ranieri and Rehhagel are 2 only great managers in last 25 years. Hilarious how you use same argument against Lucho, which have been used against Pep aswell. Is Pep average aswell? I mean I have stated it myself, he was extremely lucky to end up managing such a once in a lifetime quality squad.
Coaching clubs and NTs are very different tasks and different quality and mentality is needed. National teams only play in a) cup tournaments b) your selection is limited to what player you have in nation c) you cannot build the team as you wish, you rather have to make best of what you have d) you do not manage the trainings and sessions on daily bases, but have a few periods in year where you gather e) international tournaments are short compared to league season and it is true rofl
Are you on drugs?

As for Scolari story, another random statement on another coach who is still up to date the last manager to bring trophy to Brazil and they have been top football country forever and well his second try was also the closest they have ever been since then (that Germany loss was embarrasing though) Never really cared for Scolari, neither have I really watched any of his teams play apart from WC Brazil and Chelsea, but winning WC makes one automatically a great coach nomatter what.

Home of Barca Fans