CL | Round 6: FC Barcelona - Sporting Lisabon 2-0

SeloBarca

To be completely honest, before this summer I would have said yes, because that should have guaranteed that the board would lose the vote of no confidence. But now I don't think anything will ever get rid of this board, so it doesn't really make much difference.

Maybe better still. Or well get the standard "BM is a great team" from the board and not much else will happen. Aslong as RM doesnt win. We cant compete for the title with this team, no chance.

CatalinR10

Didn't Chelsea finish 1st in their group ? How are we supossed to meet them if we finished 1st aswell ? Or is this about potential opponent after r16 ?

Messi983

You're right. And unfortunately for us, this is such a challenging, high risk game that the mere though of using someone that's not a CB is something we can't afford to do. Digne is a failure at CB so he'll have to play LB over Cucu and calling up Palencia to get a run out at CB would be a terrible decision because he's not a CB at all, and we really, really need this win if we want to have a chance in the CL this season. Our only real choice is to use our only two healthy CBs even if one is extremely injury prone and just pray nothing bad happens. Poor Valverde has been backed into a corner.

Pique and Vermaelen didn't play together much so I think EV just wanted to give them some time to get a chemistry between them since they'll be our starting CB for the next few weeks. And later he used Busquets as CB and that's why he also used Rakitić again as DM where he played good earlier in the season and yesterday as well. So I think he was just looking for different options in the first team (given the fact he couldn't call up a Barça B CB) in case we'll need them.

First of all, who the hell cares how Barca B does in the league? Their job is to develop players, something they're not doing a very good job of, anyways. Their success should never be a priority over the needs of the first team and they should absolutely never rob a player of a chance to get an extremely rare opportunity to play first team football.

They didn't robbed anyone of getting first team football. B team players will get a chance in further Copa games against better opponents playing with more of our regular first team players than they would yesterday. It will be better for Alena or Arnaiz to play alongside Messi or Busquets than in yesterday's lineup. I'm sure people would complain yesterday even if Alena would start alongside Rakitić and Gomes just because they think he should be our starter alongside Busquets and Iniesta. :lol:

Let's just wait to see what January and then the rest of the season will bring before we say EV doesn't give a sh** about youngsters. I think he does and he'll prove that in the coming months and years. But of course people that expect Alena to become our starter this season or at least get more minutes than established first teamers will stay disappointed because that won't happen.

Did you seriously just say Gomes needs to get regular playing time? Are you shitting me? Did you seriously just say Vidal of all people deserves more minutes? Do you really believe this? I sincerely hope you don't. And players like Paco, Digne, Denis and Roberto don't have anything to do with not bringing the likes of Alena or Palencia with the team. Especially since lineups are out now and somehow Rakitic and Suarez are still starting.

Yes, you can hate him all you want but Gomes is still a part of the first team and will probably stay for the rest of the season. So he should get some match rhytm after injury and what's better for that than games like this?

And Vidal has played good as RW lately so I think he deseves more minutes. But I know you also hate him so agree to disagree here.

Villareal is a better team than many of the teams we've dropped points to, I don't know what you're talking about when you say "Only" Villareal. They've got a better defensive record than Celta and we seriously struggle to score goals nowadays.

I've said we only play against Villarreal on Sunday (so there will be 5 days between both games) not that we play "only Villarreal".

You totally understand the coach who was advertised as being the coach who loves developing youth, completely ignoring them, for a laundry list of reasons that make virtually no sense. I have a confusion.

You've been confused for some time, it's nice you finally admit that. :)

He's not ignoring youth, kids are training regularly with the first team, they are travelling with them and they played in Copa. It's part of them getting used to the first team routine so they'll have easier time to adapt if/when they are called up for some games or finally promoted. People are only seeing games as whether EV is taking care of the youngsters but it takes much more than just playing some "meaningless" games for players development.

weloveyuner

WTF has happened to Luisito? Has he completely lost his confidence? At this point I would rather see anyone not named Luis Suarez at that spot.

PhilS

Rak is clearly the best alternative to Busi at DM. How many interceptions and tackles did he have? His passing looked like he is not used to the longer distance of DM passes, Busi is better at completing passes, leading the recipients just right.

It was good to see Gomes continuing to work hard. Unfortunately, I just don't think he is a good enough athlete to have much future with this team.

I thought everyone worked hard, but too many of the players from deeper on the depth chart are just not good enough. Barca can find better than the likes of Denis, Gomes, Deulo and Vidal. I hope to see some moves in January, clear out the rest next summer.

Galning

is it right that chelsea could get us, PSG or only one other?

v4rrc9.jpg

Here are all the combination odds for anyone interested. Chelsea can only get us, PSG or Besiktas.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Real Madrid v Man Utd

Chelsea v PSG

Barca v Basel

:dembele:

We never get one of the truly bum teams in the R16.

Home of Barca Fans