21 - Frenkie de Jong

xXKonan

Didn't PSG offer FDJ a blank check ?
The rumors were that PSG was willing to pay 75 Million and 8 Million in wages+any commission fees to De Jong's agent. Which was a really good offer from PSG and I think that may have been the limit they were going to offer.

According to Oriol Domènech, the offer we made to FDJ and his agent was also in line in what they wanted and even more. He also stated Barto told Marc Overmars they were willing to offer Ajax a blank Cheque which ended up being more than what PSG likely offered. Rumors were 90 Million euros, around 15 more than what PSG offered.

Porque

It's feasible to me that FDJ first option was Barcelona but Ajax and FDJ agent are figting for the same or close enough offer from Barcelona as PSG.

So for FDJ his message is not "Barcelona or no one" (that would be stupid and financially limiting) but if "Barcelona is interested then they are my first option, so get me the best deal you can from them".

It is business after all and these guys don't work for free.

PSG have a gaping hole in their midfield so even if they are not interested in midfield, the moment a Barcelona, City or Madrid is in for someone that agent is also contacting PSG- getting them involved.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Marc Overmars (Ajax's current Director of Football) probably loves the idea of FDJ going to Barcelona considering he's also a former Barca man himself.

But also a businessman as he's Ajax's Director of Football, his interests lie in getting the most money out of FDJ as possible and he damn well didn't care who came for FDJ as long as they were willing to pony up the cash to get him.

Assuming the rumors are indeed true he managed to pull it off big time with us finally deciding to play ball and offer him even more than PSG did. :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It was said Koeman talked with both de Jong and de Ligt about their moves and offered them his advice too. Might have helped us too.

YodaMaster

Call me biased but I'm 100% convinced he chose us over PSG for other reasons than money (if we did even offer more). The guy has been in love with our club for years. Many on the forum are/were convinced that this doesn't mean anything in footballers careers, but I disagree.

If Frenkie does sign, I hope this will be a lesson to all of you bashing on the dude (calling him a rat, greedy and whatever) without knowing the facts. You should know better than to trust all those shitty tabloids.

Exactly. You always have to be cautious with these transfer rumors.

FDJ isn't an angel. Guy probably loves money, he's living in this capitalist era just like all of us. As I already said before, these professional players are also doing a job. A football career is short. Of course they'll give a big importance to money, for the majority of them.

FDJ won't play at Barça for free, even if he's a fan. Even if he wanted to play at Barça for free (let's pretend he's a blind fanboy, which he's not), he has agents, he has a family, a girlfriend, all these people around him who know his worth and who'll never allow him to do so.

His first priority was money probably. But as soon as Barça matched PSG's offer, money wasn't an issue cause now he had to make a choice unrelated to money and he chose Barça it seems. One thing I don't get is why did Barça agree to pay Ajax so much more money than PSG ?

We have to be reasonable: you'll see less and less those old school guys who'll ignore financial aspects just to fulfill the dream of playing for Barça. It's the sad and cold reality. Money is overtaking everything and everybody. The only loyality Barça will get is from some La Masia kids. That's why La Masia should always be the priority at this club.

Last edited:

Donatello

90m on De Jong, 160m on Coutinho, 105m+ on Dembele ... how the fuck are we able to spend more than Real Madrid knowning that they have way more money than us?

They are spending less, so that the money saved can be used for their new stadium.

While ours is on hold for indefinite time...

And, they will spend big, on Mbappe most probably, outbidding everyone.

Last edited:
The rumors were that PSG was willing to pay 75 Million and 8 Million in wages+any commission fees to De Jong's agent. Which was a really good offer from PSG and I think that may have been the limit they were going to offer.

According to Oriol Domènech, the offer we made to FDJ and his agent was also in line in what they wanted and even more. He also stated Barto told Marc Overmars they were willing to offer Ajax a blank Cheque which ended up being more than what PSG likely offered. Rumors were 90 Million euros, around 15 more than what PSG offered.

Just goes to show how many millions "being a huge Barca fan" is really worth on the transfer market these days.

Magyarkhan

Read my former posts i was convinced he would go as FDJ is a true lover of the game and playing with Messi is his wet dream....

I am from Holland and every interview and such he is in his eyes twinkle.. he is so modest. I am sure he would have come for half of the fee as he is said the high amount his ridiculous

Last edited:
So does he play more of a defensive mid position?

I don't envision Arthur playing in Busi's spot so wondering who they plan on using there in a couple of years.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah, the rumors appeared to have been true we offered Ajax a blank cheque and De Jong and his agents the money they wanted.

Guess to us that was the only way we were going to beat PSG.

We'll have to wait until the smoke has cleared to see what the final terms were because while signing a generational talent like FDJ should be the objective of Barca generally speaking, the club does not enter into bidding wars for good reason - particularly when it involves clubs with unlimited finances. The amount, 90 vs 75, doesn't bother me in principle but if the club increased the fee to tip the scales then Barto has gone ahead and done exactly what we profess not to do. The wages, however, there simply may not be any easy way around it in the modern game except for the obvious wage bill issue in the squad. Presumably the club will explain this or at least provide us some spin to make it palatable.

I am over the moon to land FDJ but I long believed he would choose the club on equal terms, not dumping cash on his doorstep ala QSG - so in that regards, it's worrying. Maybe not shady worrying like in the original Neymar transfer but financially & philosophically

The good is that this surely spells the end of Rakitic's tenure at Barcelona and hopefully similar for Rabiot

Home of Barca Fans