21 - Frenkie de Jong

Raketa10

Because he's a player with attacking instincts? Constantly wants to break the defense lines with his passes and wants to drive the ball forward. Sure that's a good thing for a DM to have, but a player with his strength, speed, creativity, and mobility should stay higher up the pitch. I really hope we utilize him as a b2b at least or as an attacking midfielder. Leave that boring distribution shit to players like Rakitic and Arthur. I see him more as a player that wants to be heavily involved in the final third.

I completely disagree, his biggest strenght is bringing the ball from the back to attack. Transition is his MAIN force not attacking insticts. For that you have Coutinho. This is the main reason why he reminds me of Modric. DM is a perfect position for him and position where he can make the biggest contribution.

Laplacian

I completely disagree, his biggest strenght is bringing the ball from the back to attack. Transition is his MAIN force not attacking insticts. For that you have Coutinho. This is the main reason why he reminds me of Modric. DM is a perfect position for him and position where he can contribute the most.

So he reminds you of Modric because he's perfect as a DM? What.

Gnidrologist

He may be more b2b mid than Busi for sure. He has physicality and pace that Busk never had so he will definitely be of different style. I agree with Raketa that he is so good at bringing the ball up field that 'wasting' him would be shoehorning him into CM/AM role that he has never even played. Sure he probably would do well there, but why, when we have plenty of others to do that job? In the role that Frenkie can play, there are no equivalents for us in near future.
I drool imagining Arthur, De Jong, Coutinho combo in our mid oine day. Those guys simply don't know how to loose the ball and are quite good at retaining it too. Perfect balanced backdrop for shiny/tricky forward trio.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Playing CB against PSV right now who are leading 2-0. Their second goal was all because of some pretty bad defending from him.

Edit; 3-0. This guy is being torn apart by Bergwijn. They really should use someone else as their back-up CB. Not his thing at all. Backing off more than Pique on his worst form.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well, he's not a CB and has said so himself.

Pretty pathetic by Ajax not to have any backups for that position.

xXKonan

Playing him at CB is like playing someone like Busi at CB.

It may look like it can work but in reality it just can't.

Raketa10

Playing him as CB is utterly stupid. WTF is wrong with those people at Ajax? It’s not just that he is better in midfield but he really sucks as CB. It’s literally like playing Busi as CB. Do they really have only 2 CB’s?

Riordon

How come a lot of you guys see him as a DM? IMO he is a CM. Way to good at dribling, mobile and quick to be a Busquest style of DM. IMO central midfielder or advanced midfielder like Iniesta.

Raketa10

How come a lot of you guys see him as a DM? IMO he is a CM. Way to good at dribling, mobile and quick to be a Busquest style of DM. IMO central midfielder or advanced midfielder like Iniesta.

Because his main strength is transition and bringing the ball forward. He also doesn’t lose the ball easily, a quality that DM should possess. He is definitely not an AM player since his abilities are much more usefull in the centre of the field than in the final third.

Last edited:

Riordon

Because his main strength is transition and bringing the ball forward. He also doesn’t lose the ball easily, a quality that DM should possess. He is definitely not an AM player.

Well, the same could be said for Xavi. IMO he is way too good a dribling to play DM. Should IMO play infant of someone like Busi.

gasgas

Because his main strength is transition and bringing the ball forward. He also doesn’t lose the ball easily, a quality that DM should possess. He is definitely not an AM player since his abilities in the final third are not as good as they are in the centre of the field.
so he is basically a DM who needs a workhorse beside him to cover when he transitions with the ball to the final third :thinking:

Home of Barca Fans