21 - Frenkie de Jong

Lutece FC

And a FFP penalty.

Paris respects Financial Fair Play.That's why the club have bought no big star last summer.

Still FFP is a massive fraud. They were no FFP during decades and decades this situation allowed historic club to build an Oligarchic system, where no one can invest free in a new club. It's a mafia and many experts think that's illegal regarding european rules where free investments is guarantee . If City is excluded next year, they will attack the whole FFP in the European Court of Justice, UEFA is worried, they do the maximum to avoid this.

Sorin

Well, it's his choice really and if we didn't want to splash the money then you really can't blame Ajax for accepting the highest bid. The only thing I'm wondering about is how far off we were with our bid, because from the looks of it we weren't even close. For example, if we ended our bid at 60 milion then fair enough, it's pretty close to the reported 75m. But if we lowballed Ajax with a 40 million bid and never went above that sum, then our board should commit suicide en masse. Wouldn't be surprised if we lowballed and disrespected another club once again tbf.

Having said this, while I'm dissapointed about his choice, I still believe there are other CM with world class potential like Ndombele and his colegue Auoar and we already have guys like oriol busquets and puig as talented young guys. What i don't want though is sign fucking Rabiot. That would be absolute travesty and a mistake that will cost us big down the road.

Porque

PSG can offer him big money, a starting spot and a great coach.

I called this issue earlier in the thread when most of you scoffed at my suggestion that PSG would be a strong candidate for him after deloading Rabiot.

If we are the ones that end with Rabiot then this will be horrible sporting business.

Givenchy

PSG will probably pull off the double and get De Ligt aswell. you can only laugh at this point. many people will keep on with the 'QSG state funded infinite money scumbags' hate but we blew 140mil!!! on Coutinho with no idea where to actually play him and knowing hes inconsistent, this is 75mil very affordable and if we didn't piss around lowballing he'd be at Barca by now. our board are so so bad you just know Rabiot is coming here on a huge wage, next years midfield

---Busi
Raki-Rabiot

he won't come here to be Raki or Arthurs sub so.. renew EV (Rabiot is probably his request to renew :lol:)and just write off next season aswell but hey, we might just win another Copa right?

if our board had any sense and played their cards right, we had the whole of Europe at our mercy and instead of progressing we end up regressing to a midfield with Gomes, players like Denis Suarez etc with a dumbass manager to boot. Madrid might be assholes but they are ruthless, thats why they have 3x CLs in a row while we are wasting the GOATs final years

Last edited:

FCBfan22

PSG will probably pull off the double and get De Ligt aswell. you can only laugh at this point. many people will keep on with the 'QSG state funded infinite money scumbags' hate but we blew 140mil!!! on Coutinho with no idea where to actually play him and knowing hes inconsistent, this is 75mil very affordable and if we didn't piss around lowballing he'd be at Barca by now. our board are so so bad you just know Rabiot is coming here on a huge wage, next years midfield

---Busi
Raki-Rabiot

he won't come here to be Raki or Arthurs sub so.. renew EV (Rabiot is probably his request to renew :lol:)and just write off next season aswell but hey, we might just win another Copa right?

if our board had any sense and played their cards right, we had the whole of Europe at our mercy and instead of progressing we end up regressing to a midfield with Gomes, players like Denis Suarez etc with a dumbass manager to boot. Madrid might be assholes but they are ruthless, thats why they have 3x CLs in a row while we are wasting the GOATs final years

Well, if our board was competent at all, they would've fired already, since it's clear that we are not progresing anywhere with youth and he is just inept in so many areas of managment.

But instead, we are failing to do anything in the transfer market without splashing insane amounts of cash and gently making every club in Europe our enemy.

Leo_Messi

If this rumor turns out to be true and De Jong is bound for QSG, it is a testament of his severe lack of ambition as a footballer. In particular given the numerous other options available to him if past and present rumors are to be believed.

He will either stagnate or not fulfill his promise like other talents and players before him in Paris. The list is rather long. Marquinhos, Verratti, Rabiot, Draxler, Neymar, Lucas etc. All of which, so far at least, have failed to take the next step in their development and reach a higher celling.

"Competing" in the mighty Ligue 1 and the two domestic French cups for years, sans at most 13 Champions League games (if PSG reaches the final for the first time in their history that is) each season, at a crucial point in your career, can't possibly be a wise career choice.

I would be rather shocked if it turns out that he prefers PSG over the likes of Barça and Real Madrid. It only tells me one thing, namely that both those giants do not value him as highly (for whatever reasons) as PSG supposedly does. Anything else makes little sense, if you ask me.

I actually don't think that there is a lot of reason to be too upset if he truly prefers PSG. There is no doubt that he is a very interesting player but I don't really regard (from what I have seen of him so far for club and country at least) him as a generational midfield talent on the CM position. I am much more inclined to look at de Ligt as a generational talent on his position. Moreover there are plenty of alternatives for the club to go after in case this rumor is accurate. In France alone there are several very promising up-and-coming midfield talents and exiting youngsters are emerging on the football scene each season. He is just the most popular flavor since the past summer like so many before him. Some of those past flavors turned out to have a very short shelf life (I remember Bazoer, who is only 6 months older than De Jong, and other talented Ajax/Dutch midfielders not fullfiling their potential) while others proved their longevity.

De Jong is not really a defensive midfielder either so people here or elsewhere that potentially look at him as a successor of Busquets, are mistaken in my opinion. I don't really see him as a successor of Busquets at all. To me he is more of traditional two-way central midfielder with his greatest strengths being his passing game, dribbling and his movement between the lines both defensively and offensively. In many ways he is a more mobile Arthur. However the Brazilian is a bigger talent IMO and has so far proven to be a perfect fit this early on in his career in Europe.

Ndombele, an actual defensive midfielder, is a much better fit stylistically if the goal is to replace Busquets. A more dynamic player as well. Dynamism is something that our midfield is severely lacking, hence the Vidal transfer.

On the other hand De Jong would be a great replacement for Rakitic. However it is easier to find central midfielders out there (given the vast talent pool) rather than a defensive midfielder that could successfully succeed Busquets in our system or what is left of it nowadays thanks to the board's neglect of the sporting project (that has been ongoing for years), wrong transfer priorities, wrong managerial appointments etc. However that is another discussion altogether.

In short, I am still hopeful of this just being one out of many rumors and that De Jong will remain an option this upcoming summer, however should that not be the case, it is not the end of the world. Nor would it be something new. Mbappe was a much bigger "loss" in hindsight. A generational talent without doubt. I can't say the same about De Jong, irregardless of the big hype coming from mainly the Dutch media and IMO completely ridiculous comparisons of De Jong with Cruyff.

Last edited:

Obiaseti

Didn't feel like we were ever seriously in contention for him. Looks like our priority is sealing the Rabiot deal.

Porque

If this rumor turns out to be true and De Jong is bound for QSG, it is a testament of his severe lack of ambition as a footballer. In particular given the numerous other options available to him if past and present rumors are to be believed.

He will either stagnate or not fulfill his promise like other talents and players before him in Paris. The list is rather long. Marquinhos, Verratti, Rabiot, Draxler, Neymar, Lucas etc. All of which, so far at least, have failed to take the next step in their development and reach a higher celling.

"Competing" in the mighty Ligue 1 and the two domestic French cups for years, sans at most 13 Champions League games (if PSG reaches the final for the first time in their history that is) each season, at a crucial point in your career, can't possibly be a wise career choice.

I would be rather shocked if it turns out that he prefers PSG over the likes of Barça and Real Madrid. It only tells me one thing, namely that both those giants do not value him as highly (for whatever reasons) as PSG supposedly does. Anything else makes little sense, if you ask me.

I actually don't think that there is a lot of reason to be too upset if he truly prefers PSG. There is no doubt that he is a very interesting player but I don't really regard (from what I have seen of him so far for club and country at least) him as a generational midfield talent on the CM position. I am much more inclined to look at de Ligt as a generational talent on his position. Moreover there are plenty of alternatives for the club to go after in case this rumor is accurate. In France alone there are several very promising up-and-coming midfield talents and exiting youngsters are emerging on the football scene each season. He is just the most popular flavor since the past summer like so many before him. Some of those past flavors turned out to have a very short shelf life (I remember Bazoer, who is only 6 months older than De Jong, and other talented Ajax/Dutch midfielders not fullfiling their potential) while others proved their longevity.

De Jong is not really a defensive midfielder either so people here or elsewhere that potentially look at him as a successor of Busquets, are mistaken in my opinion. I don't really see him as a successor of Busquets at all. To me he is more of traditional two-way central midfielder with his greatest strengths being his passing game, dribbling and his movement between the lines both defensively and offensively. In many ways he is a more mobile Arthur. However the Brazilian is a bigger talent IMO and has so far proven to be a perfect fit this early on in his career in Europe.

Ndombele, an actual defensive midfielder, is a much better fit stylistically if the goal is to replace Busquets. A more dynamic player as well. Dynamism is something that our midfield is severely lacking, hence the Vidal transfer.

On the other hand De Jong would be a great replacement for Rakitic. However it is easier to find central midfielders out there (given the vast talent pool) rather than a defensive midfielder that could successfully succeed Busquets in our system or what is left of it nowadays thanks to the board's neglect of the sporting project (that has been ongoing for years), wrong transfer priorities, wrong managerial appointments etc. However that is another discussion altogether.

In short, I am still hopeful of this just being one out of many rumors and that De Jong will remain an option this upcoming summer, however should that not be the case, it is not the end of the world. Nor would it be something new. Mbappe was a much bigger "loss" in hindsight. A generational talent without doubt. I can't say the same about De Jong, irregardless of the big hype coming from mainly the Dutch media and IMO completely ridiculous comparisons of De Jong with Cruyff.

The other option is that PSG made first move, offered Ajax the transfer fee in one payment and guaranteed De Jong a starting position which we couldnt do.

If Abidal is our main talent eye as sporting director he may have a national or club bias towards Lyon or French players too. Ndombele and Aouar are huge talents in their own right who Abidal may prefer going for and also cost less.

Leo_Messi

The other option is that PSG made first move, offered Ajax the transfer fee in one payment and guaranteed De Jong a starting position which we couldnt do.

If Abidal is our main talent eye as sporting director he may have a national or club bias towards Lyon or French players too. Ndombele and Aouar are huge talents in their own right who Abidal may prefer going for and also cost less.

The player always has the final say. Likewise there are few if any guarantees at the very top clubs unless you are a generational talent. For all we know De Jong might turn into another Bazoer. I personally doubt it but it has to be said that he is a promising talent and not the finished article for him to demand x or y. Even in a club like PSG that is lightyears behind giants of the game like Barça, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus etc.

That might be the case. I mean we had a certain Robert before Abidal. No need to mention the formers love for a certain Valencian club (Valencia).

I agree. There are alternatives. I just hope that Rabiot will not be the alternative. Not that he is a bad player but the club can do much, much better than that.

Aouar (from what I have seen) is not really the same type of player like De Jong let alone Ndombele. At all. He is more of a "Coutinho" type of player. In other words a more offensive player (in this case midfielder) who likes to operate on the left side of the midfield in a more offensive position rather than Ndombele (defensive midfielder) or De Jong (central midfielder mainly although he has played as a DM and even as a CB for Ajax). However he would not play in either position at Barça IMO.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
I don't believe one bit of it. It's way too early to decide anything.

There's no logic in both deciding this now, and choosing PSG over Barca/City. He'll make a lot of money anyway.

Frenkie is too smart to throw his career away in France.

Home of Barca Fans