21 - Frenkie de Jong

Newcomer

Sure, I am not saying there are no other reasons other than money (I am especially aware of the sporting one as you have been saying you badly need midfielders to the point that Tuchel even wanted to play Rabiot), I am saying let's not kid ourselves, if PSG didn't come up with the 75m Ajax wanted and all the money that De Jong and his agent wanted there is no way De Jong would have gone to PSG. Money is the overwhelming decisive factor here. So let's not kid ourselves with the kind of total BS that he is going to PSG because he wants to play with Neymar and Mbappe.

Of course, if you don't have money, you don't get past discussions.

Even for players less wanted like Doucouré or Gueye, when we have no money and they play in average clubs (Watford that won't play CL any soon or Everton), we are not closing the deal.

Simply because clubs don't want to sell players under their valuation.

Same things go for Ajax.

I don't understand why people are blaming the player when Barça didn't come close to their starting price.

Jair Ventura

What was the record transfer before PSG bought Neymar for 220m euros?

This question isn’t relevant to my argument. The obscene spending in football happened way before PSG was purchased by QSI, and that is a fact. You’re only whining now because the economic advantages you once held, that were directly responsible for you bullying smaller French and Brazilian clubs for players like Ronaldinho, no longer exist.

Once again, if you hadn't come up with 75m or whatever Ajax wants and all the money De Jong and his agent wanted, do you think he would have picked PSG? If everything else being equal (if say all three clubs offered Ajax 75m and him and his agent the same amount of money), do you think he would have picked PSG? If you think so then yes, you are truly delusional.

Yes, I believe he would have picked PSG, because that’s exactly what he’s done.

I don’t pretend to know the player personally as some of you do. All I know is that as one of the top young players in the wolrd he had the luxury of choosing where he wants to play, and he chose Paris. Paying €75m with €8m in wages isn’t beyond City nor Barca’s finances. I.e. All clubs competing for his signature can afford him.

If you think every player who joined PSG since Neymar and Mbappe came primarily because they wanted to play with those two, then you are hopeless.

I mentioned FDJ specifically. Don’t put words in my mouth.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Of course, if you don't have money, you don't get past discussions.

Even for players less wanted like Doucouré or Gueye, when we have no money and they play in average clubs (Watford that won't play CL any soon or Everton), we are not closing the deal.

Simply because clubs don't want to sell players under their valuation.

Same things go for Ajax.

I don't understand why people are blaming the player when Barça didn't come close to their starting price.

Agreed that we shouldn't blame De Jong, we weren't sincere in the first place it looks like.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He's making a huge mistake. Would probably be a good move for him for about two years as it was for Verratti, then he is going to stall.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's making a huge mistake. Would probably be a good move for him for about two years as it was for Verratti, then he is going to stall.

Depends on how long they keep Tuchel tbh. Might not win the CL, but the dude knows how to develop players. Perhaps he'll leave in 3-4 years after playing regularly after becoming a polished player.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This question isn’t relevant to my argument. The obscene spending in football happened way before PSG was purchased by QSI, and that is a fact. You’re only whining now because the economic advantages you once held, that were directly responsible for you bullying smaller French and Brazilian clubs for players like Ronaldinho, no longer exist.

Cut the bullshit. You might not be the source but you acted nothing short of a catalyst for sky high transfer prices of late, regardless of how you downplay your role in it. Shabi.

Yes, I believe he would have picked PSG, because that’s exactly what he’s done.

I don’t pretend to know the player personally as some of you do. All I know is that as one of the top young players in the wolrd he had the luxury of choosing where he wants to play, and he chose Paris. Paying €75m with €8m in wages isn’t beyond City nor Barca’s finances. I.e. All clubs competing for his signature can afford him.

That is right, so in the end De Jong picked the one that offered €75m with €8m in wages plus commissions, did he not?

How many of those "young players in the world" that flocked to your academy are outside of Paris and France by the way?

At the end of the day, whatever floats your boat. If you think PSG is the greatest, so be it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You know them better than their manager of course.

Do you seriously expect Overmas to say that they chose PSG because of money publicly? Of course he would only publicly say noble and good things about his players.

Your problem seems to be beyond being delusional.

How do you even function in a human society with this kind of EQ you have??

cro-man

It seems that since we lost neymar to those qataris they got some advantage by attracting more and more interesting players. Of course money is the first reason why everyone is joining them because they are psg who are a nobody in a nobody league. But they got player 1 somehow and player 2 somehow and other will follow. Save face by saying interesting project and everything is done.

I dont care about de jong but its worring that we are losing a barca fanboy to psg. This is not just about one player its about reputation and since we lost neymar to them they got some glory and we lost some. We have an aging team and without messi no real face. They have neymar and mbappe and now maybe de jong. All of them pretty young and a good advantage in marketing.

Cant believe what happend since neymar left and what it did to the transfer market. All this because of the bad mood of a father and his little brat who are most likely regreting their move.

BenRobbins

How many people, if afforded a competitive salary from rival institutions, would choose to live in Turin or Manchester over Paris? Not many.

The notion that top players are only choosing to play in Paris for economic reasons, as if Europe's traditional elite can't offer competitive contracts is silly and juvenile.

Spoken like someone who's never played football professionally, competitively, or otherwise.

Fact is Ligue 1 has been weak post Bosman ruling because it made it impossible for French clubs to compete financially with clubs from England, Italy, and Spain. See Ronaldinho's transfer from PSG to Barca, the spark that lit the fire that became FC Barcelona's current dynasty. But now that investors(QSI) are pouring money into the league to change this dynamic people like yourself are unhappy, because you no longer get the pick of litter when it comes to stars and or developing talents.

My advice would be to get over yourself. Players have to obligation to choose to play for FC Barcelona simply because it's FC Barcelona. The world doesn't revolve around you or your club, so if you want top players to wear your colors over the colors of rival institutions then you have to do the work. In this instance, you did not, and you lost out. That is no one's fault but your own.

From what I've read on r/soccer Ajax fans prefer him choosing PSG over Barca because of the arrogance of the latter supporters throughout this transfer saga.

I am not a great fan of paris. Bit of a shit hole imo and i know its shared by a lot of people. Have you ever been

Centauri B

Overmars said very clearly he talked to both de Jong and de Ligt and money is not their motivation at all. All about the sporting project.

If Overmars said so, then it must be true. I don't think so to be honest.

Nobody really likes to admit that they are primarily motivated by money.

If it's not about money, then why would any player whatsoever, join PSG? Hell, clubs like St Etienne, Leeds United or Real Zaragoza have more legacy than they do.

Jair Ventura

I am not a great fan of paris. Bit of a shit hole imo and i know its shared by a lot of people. Have you ever been

The whole of England is a shit-hole. Top players only play there for the money and platform.

If Overmars said so, then it must be true. I don't think so to be honest.

Nobody really likes to admit that they are primarily motivated by money.

Barca spends hundreds of millions more on wages than the next highest spender. The hypocrisy here is embarrassing.

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

Cut the bullshit. You might not be the source but you acted nothing short of a catalyst for sky high transfer prices of late, regardless of how you downplay your role in it. Shabi.

What bullshit? Madrid broke the transfer window twice in single window two years before QSI bought PSG. Barca spent roughly €100m on Neymar while handling the transfer so poorly that it ruined relations with Santos on top of landing one of your clubs higher ups in prison. Yet you're crying over PSG's spending in a economic climate YOUR clubs created. Chelsea just spent nearly €60m for Christian Pulisic for crying out loud.

That is right, so in the end De Jong picked the one that offered €75m with €8m in wages plus commissions, did he not?

What makes you think €75m with €8m in wages is beyond City or Barcelona?

At the end of the day, whatever floats your boat. If you think PSG is the greatest, so be it.

Again, stop putting words in my mouth. I'm only explaining why your hypocrisy is embarrassing.

Home of Barca Fans