21 - Frenkie de Jong

Devils

It's incredible to watch him play the way he does now and also realize that we've already lost 1 year of him as a Barca player because Valverde will be our manager next season.

Unbelievable when you think about it.

BBZ8800

Well, what about signing Van de Beek then.

He isn't that good yet, but he can improve.

Regarding more midfield signings, I guess that a club will take a status quo in this season.
To see:
1. if Busi is done, probably yes after this season
2. ii Raki is done, probably yes after this season
3. if Vidal is done, probably done after this season
4. the most important: WHAT IS Frenkie's true position
5. whether Arthur can improve is some areas (attacking, defending) and whether he will improve and turn into an undisputed starter or into a 4th midfield pick

Then, I guess, in a summer of 2020, if Busi, Raki, Vidal will be done and if Arthur will stagnate, we will probably buy one more world class MC who can compliment Frenkie's skills.

In this moment we can't tell with a 100% certainty how will Frenkie work and how combinations Frenkie-Arthur, Frenkie-Raki will work.
This will be a season of testing.

Also, if EV will fail again, he will be sacked.
Plus, some other heavyweights could be gone if they will have another bad season (Cou, Dembele).
So, imo, the next summer could be a summer of a lot of changes: a coach, grannies being finally sold (Busi, Raki, Suarez, Vidal), we will get an answer regrading true abilities of Cou, Dembele, Arthur.
So, a huge overhaul could come in the next summer.

This will be another season of watching EV, and of testing Dembele, Cou, Frenkie, Arthur.

MTL_Barca

Frenkie is good and he should play all the time.
What worries me is: who will be our attacking CM?

Even yesterday, before Van De Beek entered, Netherlands had possession and control, but not too many clear chances, shots and goals.
When Donny entered, they started to create more havoc in and around English box and they started to have lots of planned and somewhat lucky goalscoring chances.

Frenkie-Rakitic is obviously not a solution.
But neither is Frenkie-Arthur.
Even yesterday, Frenkie was the best when he was dropping deep to get the ball and when he was commanding from some sort of a Busi-Xavi hybrid position.
Since Busi's position=is Busi's position.
And Arthur's best position is also=a hybrid of Busi's and Xavi's position.
Then we are in problems since all three players are the best when they play in some sort of Busi's position or in some kind of a mix of Busi's and Xavi's position.

These 3 deep lying midfielders could work while we have Messi, since we can get away currently with a gameplan: recycle possession in midfield and just pass to Messi=and he will eventually do something.
But longterm, after Messi, we will need both at least 2 new attacking superstars and true leaders (NOT like Dembele) and one CAM-ish type of a player who will have balls, leadership ability and both creative and finishing skills.

You know that I usually don't like young players, but on youtube videos, this kid looks as if he has bravery, leadership ability, IQ and skills (a combination which 95% of our current players don't possess).
If could be 24 today and if he had shooting skills, then even I would say: ok, you can play Frenkie-Arthur and this guy. Then even Arthur's safepasses wouldn't be such a problem.

But in a current era, where all of our midfielders are more "pivot" (Frenkie, Busi, Arthur) or defensive-minded (Raki, Vidal) oriented, none combination doesn't look too perfect.
I am currently so desperate that even I would give another shot to Coutinho at Iniesta's position, at least at Camp Nou matches :lol:
Busi-Frenkie-Cou, or even forum's beloved Frenkie-Arthur-Cou sounds better than Busi-Frenkie-Arthur.
To me, those 3 are defensive midfielders and it isn't too much better than the hated Busi-Raki-Vidal midfield.

This might be the first team i'm fully agreeing with you about our midfield :D

Frenkie is like the perfect Barca CM/DM, great addition, but not enough. Coutinho was bought to play as an attacking minded midfielder so if he doesn't play there or get's sold he should be replacement by another player that can provide some assists/goals. Frenkie should be the replacement of either Raki or Busi, not Coutinho.

Maybe the club thinks Alena can take that roll but it seems unlikely.

...but who cares, we already know it's gonna be Busi-Raki-Frenkie and Messi will keep doing everything :lol:

Arizona Scott

Sooo after last night I have to say that FDJ has to play every game for us . He looked like the best midfielder in the world by a country mile ... gets better every time I see him ..

Best midfielder in the world right now. He made the CL squad of the season and was easily better throughout every stage than the other midfielders in that list. De Bruyne spent way too much time injured. Pirlo and Redknapp have recently praised him as the best CM in the world and I agree with them quite clearly. He's outshone literally every other world class midfielder he's come up against and given 8/10+ performances in pretty much every big game he's played for club and country this season. He's the best, unless you count Bernardo Silva as a midfielder which is debatable.

Giving MOTM performances and his presence is crucial in the revival of Ajax and Netherlands on the European stage which is incredible given how much both teams struggled to play at the top level for years until FDJ (along with other great players) came along.

He's defensively as good as anyone in the world except maybe Kante. His press resistance and football IQ in offense is also at the very top. I imagine he'll excel at Barca no matter what because he's just that good of a talent

I completely agree here. He simply add a dynamism and athletic attributes (and stamina) along with the technique, fast thinking brain and field sense in one package. He will add so much and must (and will be) 1st choice among midfielders on the team sheet.

..... but it's a shame that he'll be playing under a complete bum like Valverde and likely next to dead wood like Rakitic.

I will apply this even more to Busi. Be it for Spain (where he should get a lot of physical and technique filled midfield compatriots) or whoever he plays with at Barca he is going to play like a relic and slow his midfielder companions down. I am more concerned with Busi being a barrier to fundamentally remaking our midfield and approach. Personally they both should go while they have value, and a youngish, physical, do it all type like a younger wijnaldum comes in. Grand view is maybe getting Havertz out of Germany with proceeds from Coutinho. That midfield would (de Jong, Arthur, Havertz) boss everyone and allow Messi even more creative license in the final 3rd and ask of him to chase off the ball less.

mia7007

For him to have a shot at realistically playing a bunch we need to sell Rakitic or Busi.

As we all know the rotation will be Busi and Rakitic as automatic starters with Arthur/Vidal/FDJ fighting for the third spot. Pretty sad with our muppet manager.
At least one of Busi/Raki/Vidal should leave. I would sell 2 of them and give Alena and Puig more time with FDJ, Arthur as starters with a creative midfielder (Coutinho if he stays or buy a new one like Eriksen)

BenRobbins

Didnt have the greatest of games last night.

He's bound to have a few bad games now and again till he gets older then becomes consistent so its to be expected.

Andresito

Staff member
He played almost every Ajax game these last few months with them being in a narrow race in the league and going far in CL. Add the domestic cup to that.

In the NL semis he played almost 120 min, running the most on the pitch. A few days later he plays against Portugal.

Can't blame him for being both physically and mentally tired. Well deserved vacation for him now.

Home of Barca Fans