21 - Frenkie de Jong

Gari

De Jong: just moved, but already need to knockout Real and Ronaldo. And then, what will happen, Barca?

Campos

Boy if you knock out Cronaldo after sending Madrid home, you'll be a Barca legend even before kicking a ball against us.

He will need security guards, when he scores the winning goal in the final against Barca.
Legend and enemy numero uno at the same time.

:lol:

Cule4life

The Culest
He will need security guards, when he scores the winning goal in the final against Barca.
Legend and enemy numero uno at the same time.

:lol:

Honestly i wouldn't be mad. If we lose to freaking Ajax we don't deserve to win the CL in the first place.

As a player you never know how many CL finals you'll get to play in (even with Barca). So i would give everything, i got even against my future team.

Newcomer

I find this one hard to believe. What would Nike gain from us signing De Jong vis-a-vis PSG signing them? Nike sponsors both clubs.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/socc...-after-nike-agreed-to-subsidise-wages-sources

Nike has a sponsorship of 155 M (?) with Barcelona and 25 M with PSG. I can see plenty of reasons why they would prefer the next golden boy in their flagship.

PSG is already advertising them well with Mbappé, Neymar, Cavani all on Nike and with Jordan collaboration.

Remember the Coutinho situation where Nike announced the transfer before it was official ? It was supposed to be important because Neymar was the image for Brazil region and they needed a big brazilian star.

Also, Frenkie de Jong said himself Nike asked him to use Frenkie on his shirt for better branding, so they are pretty involved in his case. And the story-telling is so much simple and beautiful when they can linked him with past dutch legends that have played in Barcelona. If de Ligt comes, they could say something like the new dutch wave or something like that.

Last edited:

fergus90

Nike has a sponsorship of 155 M (?) with Barcelona and 25 M with PSG. I can see plenty of reasons why they would prefer the next golden boy in their flagship.

PSG is already advertising them well with Mbappé, Neymar, Cavani all on Nike and with Jordan collaboration.

Remember the Coutinho situation where Nike announced the transfer before it was official ? It was supposed to be important because Neymar was the image for Brazil region and they needed a big brazilian star.

Also, Frenkie de Jong said himself Nike asked him to use Frenkie on his shirt for better branding, so they are pretty involved in his case. And the story-telling is so much simple and beautiful when they can linked him with past dutch legends that have played in Barcelona. If de Ligt comes, they could say something like the new dutch wave or something like that.

I think it's personally feasible that De Jong joined Barca because of the dutch connection with Cruyff, Koeman, Davids, Kluivert, De Boer etc. Just like PSG will be the club any French wonder kid would like to join in future years to emulate Mbappe.

Newcomer

I think it's personally feasible that De Jong joined Barca because of the dutch connection with Cruyff, Koeman, Davids, Kluivert, De Boer etc. Just like PSG will be the club any French wonder kid would like to join in future years to emulate Mbappe.

Well, he joins them first and foremost because Barcelona had to pay handsomely to match and raise PSG offer. Since money and playtime weren't a deciding factor anymore, being a big Barça fan, it is totally understandable he would go there. It is really the example of a good transfer for all parties, in my opinion. The player got all he wanted (club preference, money and playing time), Barca got their player and Ajax didn't get lowballed by Barca (and even that dutch club with % on resale got a good deal).
What you said about French wonderkid and Mbappé and PSG is not true though. French players or population don't really respect or have that "love" relationship with their national clubs. Look how many went to Newcastle for example, which is not one of the best english clubs recently.
French players are more interested in their career, so playing time and paycheck will come first. There is a lot of that in Premier League. In PSG, money is there but playing time much less, unless you are really really strong. And in that case (the wonderkid you were talking about), they'll prefer to do like Dembélé, Martial or Benzema in the days. Mbappé is really a standout case. You won't see a lot of players refusing Real Madrid for PSG.

The thing is, in France, you have no really "friendly" clubs to each other to facilitate transfers. They would prefer to transfer their good players out of the league. Even if PSG is rich, they would ask a premium price (like 20 up to 50% increase), so PSG finds those deals not worthy. Only Bayern Munich has that special "aura" in their domestic league to be able to poach all their rivals best players regularly.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

I still don't see how Nike would benefit from it. As far as we know our annual shirt sales worldwide volume has been around 2m, even when Neymar was here it didn't go up that much. How many more Barca jerseys will be sold just because of signing De Jong? And that is the only way where Nike can make money from us, selling jerseys and other related merchandise. I doubt De Jong alone will bring in another 500,000 jerseys sold world wide etc.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well, he joins them first and foremost because Barcelona had to pay handsomely to match and raise PSG offer. Since money and playtime weren't a deciding factor anymore, being a big Barça fan, it is totally understandable he would go there. It is really the example of a good transfer for all parties, in my opinion. The player got all he wanted (club preference, money and playing time), Barca got their player and Ajax didn't get lowballed by Barca (and even that dutch club with % on resale got a good deal).
What you said about French wonderkid and Mbappé and PSG is not true though. French players or population don't really respect or have that "love" relationship with their national clubs. Look how many went to Newcastle for example, which is not one of the best english clubs recently.
French players are more interested in their career, so playing time and paycheck will come first. There is a lot of that in Premier League. In PSG, money is there but playing time much less, unless you are really really strong. And in that case (the wonderkid you were talking about), they'll prefer to do like Dembélé, Martial or Benzema in the days. Mbappé is really a standout case. You won't see a lot of players refusing Real Madrid for PSG.

The thing is, in France, you have no really "friendly" clubs to each other to facilitate transfers. They would prefer to transfer their good players out of the league. Even if PSG is rich, they would ask a premium price (like 20 up to 50% increase), so PSG finds those deals not worthy. Only Bayern Munich has that special "aura" in their domestic league to be able to poach all their rivals best players regularly.

Didn't the Lyon president recently say he had no problem whatsoever selling some of his players to PSG?

Newcomer

I still don't see how Nike would benefit from it. As far as we know our annual shirt sales worldwide volume has been around 2m, even when Neymar was here it didn't go up that much. How many more Barca jerseys will be sold just because of signing De Jong? And that is the only way where Nike can make money from us, selling jerseys and other related merchandise. I doubt De Jong alone will bring in another 500,000 jerseys sold world wide etc.

I won't dare to say i know the economics of Nike but if they pay up to 150 M a year to Barcelona, it is a good deal in their book. Seeing as they are so involved with Frenkie de Jong that they even told him what name he should use in his jersey, it is plausible they see a great marketing potential in him.
Matching him with their flagship, with the dutch tradition, makes perfect sense imo.

Magyarkhan

I won't dare to say i know the economics of Nike but if they pay up to 150 M a year to Barcelona, it is a good deal in their book. Seeing as they are so involved with Frenkie de Jong that they even told him what name he should use in his jersey, it is plausible they see a great marketing potential in him.
Matching him with their flagship, with the dutch tradition, makes perfect sense imo.

I am 100% sure that FDJ and MDL both wont bring sponsors in discredit. They are very nice and very normal solid thinking boys.... Just stop Dembele drawing them into PC gaming too much :)

Home of Barca Fans