21 - Frenkie de Jong

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
FDJ's father: there is 95% chance that he is leaving Ajax and FCB would be the ideal decision to go to.

Seen this and love it but as we know, we are still early days in the negotiating media nonsense that precedes the summer transfer window for a mega signing like his. Does not change my initial view which is that the player and family have long given the impression of their preference & that it is a transfer this Barcelona board can only screw up. So, until he is presented in blaugrana I will temper my enthusiasm

Jair Ventura

FDJ's father: there is 95% chance that he is leaving Ajax and FCB would be the ideal decision to go to.

Directly after those comments he suggest Barca can't afford Frankie. Include the entire quote next time.

"The fact that he leaves (Ajax) is 95% certain. What would be best for him? A team that plays football. And all the clubs that are interested in him are football teams. Barcelona would be the best in terms of climate but it remains to be seen if they can align financially."

edit: Just learned he was referring to the weather... :lol:

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Barca management. It's like when a beautiful and fair young princess signals she would be delighted to be your fiance, but you insist on choosing ugly, capricious hag, because her father promised to cover the wedding bill.

Jombi

I think its pretty obvious that we dont have that much money to spend in the coming years. We've spent a huge amount of money in the last few years.

Jombi

Yeah but we also made much from sales in comparison to PSG.

Compare our net spending to RM in the last 6-7 years for example. Our sales have improved abit but the value of our squad is very low now, as prices plummet for players over 30.

Joan

I think its pretty obvious that we dont have that much money to spend in the coming years. We've spent a huge amount of money in the last few years.

That's the truth. And it will heavily influence our decisions.

khaled_a_d

It is amazing how much did the market has changed in past half decade. 5 years ago players like FDJ were the low risk high reward players, now they are the high risk high reward players.
Many top clubs being unwilling to let their stars go has inflated the market for players in top sides of lower leagues, they can now demands huge sums for their players, problem with that resale value of those players aren't huge once they fail in top competitions.
Regardless of FDj himself, their need to be smarter alternatives atm, players from mid table clubs now are more of bargains, look at Calcio for example, player like Lucas Torreira would have been great addition to any top side and he has went for 30M.

FC433

Directly after those comments he suggest Barca can't afford Frankie. Include the entire quote next time.

"The fact that he leaves (Ajax) is 95% certain. What would be best for him? A team that plays football. And all the clubs that are interested in him are football teams. Barcelona would be the best in terms of climate but it remains to be seen if they can align financially."

edit: Just learned he was referring to the weather... :lol:

I will make sure to do that next time. I just translated a tweet that did not include that part.

Leo_Messi

The footballing history of FC Barcelona and Ajax Amsterdam are closely intertwined due to the enduring influences of Rinus Michel and most importantly Johan Cruyff. We should cultivate this historic relationship and by no means try to damage it.

If my memory serves me right many if not most of the promising Ajax youngsters have voiced their desire to one day end up playing at Barça in the past 20-25 years. A natural move in many ways. So not the least surprising that De Jong, even more so given his playing position and player profile, is looking at the prospect of ending up at Barça in a very positive light. Such comments are not new but it is promising that this "theory" is reinforced once again.

Users who question the financial strength of the club and whether the club can afford the transfer or not are in the wrong. If anything the past 10 years of spending is a testament to that as well as the continuous economic growth of the club. I have been a very long critic of the current board and the board (more or less the same lot) that Rosell headed but they have handled the economy of the club rather well. That I must give them. I know about the Espai Barça project but that will most likely (mostly) be financed by sponsors.

So whether we are going to buy De Jong or not will be down to 2 things mainly.

1) Is the board willing to pay what Ajax is demanding or will the cheaper option (Rabiot) be preferred? Not sure but hopefully not.
2) Will Valverde or his potential successor want De Jong this upcoming summer?

Because I have no doubt in my mind that De Jong would love a move to occur and economically we can afford his transfer. Not sure that we can/will be willing to buy both De Jong and de Ligt at the same time though. That I am much more doubtful about.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans