21 - Frenkie de Jong

Jombi

It is contradiction. We have no reason to sign him if Ajax is atrocious at CL.:lol:

Of course we have. Plenty of good players in bad teams. Hopefully Ajax lose in the next few games. I certainly dont want them to reach the knockout stages.

Gnidrologist

My sympathy for Ajax always be a bit higher than pragmatic needs of Barca. And he won't be cheap anyway. Scouting is too good now days to expect that we're like the only club who truly sees his real potential.

Jombi

My sympathy for Ajax always be a bit higher than pragmatic needs of Barca. And he won't be cheap anyway. Scouting is too good now days to expect that we're like the only club who truly sees his real potential.

Its not only about price though, but getting him at all. The higher the price goes and the more obsessed other teams become about getting him, our chances reduce. We'll see what happens.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If Ajax bounced out from the group stages people would say de Jong and de Ligt shouldn't be signed since they failed to prove themselves in the CL lol.

Might also have been the board's angle.

Barca can certainly afford both. Might have to sell a couple of players, but that's something that should happen either way.

Sorin

If Ajax bounced out from the group stages people would say de Jong and de Ligt shouldn't be signed since they failed to prove themselves in the CL lol.

Might also have been the board's angle.

Barca can certainly afford both. Might have to sell a couple of players, but that's something that should happen either way.

Pretty much. It's much needed experience against top class teams. If they advance to the later stages(quarters/semis) even better.

Agreed about the money too. There are several players that don't have any place in our team anyway. Guys like Rafinha, Denis, Munir should pack their bags at the end of the season, if not sooner. Then there's guys like Rakitic, Vidal that could be on the way out. For Rakitic might be the last season in which we could get serious money and Vidal might opt to leave for constant 1st team football. Between them we might have enough to cover most of De Jong's and De Ligt's transfer fees.

FCBfan22

Again. Frenkie should be our no. 1 priority. Him and Arthur could be incredible long term solutions at CM.

Do whatever it takes to get him.

Jombi

Pretty much. It's much needed experience against top class teams. If they advance to the later stages(quarters/semis) even better.

Agreed about the money too. There are several players that don't have any place in our team anyway. Guys like Rafinha, Denis, Munir should pack their bags at the end of the season, if not sooner. Then there's guys like Rakitic, Vidal that could be on the way out. For Rakitic might be the last season in which we could get serious money and Vidal might opt to leave for constant 1st team football. Between them we might have enough to cover most of De Jong's and De Ligt's transfer fees.

I dont think we'll get any serious money for Rakitic should he leave. Same with Vidal. We were not able to get rid of Rafinha, Denis and Samper last summer so their wages we pay now for doing nothing is not good for our budget.

Replacing Suarez, while Busquets and Raki are also ageing will cost a lot of money unless we find value in the market. If the two Ajax players cost us 150m or more combined, they are suddenly not great value in the market anymore and thats a problem when Suarez, Alba, Busi and Raki are all ageing. I cant imagine what their price would be should Ajax reach the semis. The sky is the limit. Getting rid of Raki and Vidal also just means they have to be replaced as well. I dont think its wise to have a midfield of De Jong, Arthur and an ageing Busquets and a bunch of B team players.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

I dont think we'll get any serious money for Rakitic should he leave. Same with Vidal. We were not able to get rid of Rafinha, Denis and Samper last summer so their wages we pay now for doing nothing is not good for our budget.

Replacing Suarez, while Busquets and Raki are also ageing will cost a lot of money unless we find value in the market. If the two Ajax players cost us 150m or more combined, they are suddenly not great value in the market anymore and thats a problem when Suarez, Alba, Busi and Raki are all ageing. I cant imagine what their price would be should Ajax reach the semis. The sky is the limit. Getting rid of Raki and Vidal also just means they have to be replaced as well. I dont think its wise to have a midfield of De Jong, Arthur and an ageing Busquets and a bunch of B team players.

Well, it's true that if we decide to sell Rakitić there is only one possible destination, because of Raquel. Sevilla.

But starting from next season on, we should have 2 sets of CM's. One experienced one and one young set. Each set should include one attacking CM, one all-round cm and one DM.

Experienced:

Coutinho------Rakitić/Vidal
---------Busquets----------

Young:

De Jong-------Arthur
----O. Busquets-----

What is nice about those two setups is that the more attacking player out of the CM's is on different side each time and you can adapt your game more. The other midfielders such as one of Rakitić/Vidal Denis and Rafinha should be sold, since we still have Bob who can fill in and Alena.

I think we should get De Jong and dispatch all of our scouts on finding strikers and CB's. I still mantain my point that Ajax is very unlikely to sell both of De Ligt and Frenkie to us in one window. We should look at other options such as Upomecano and Tah, since Frenkie as a potential Barca CM is just too good to be true and he is a Cule.

Sorin

Wasn't PSG inquiring about Rakitic just this summer? What makes you think we can't get 50 million for him? Maybe that's not serious money but it's a good sum. We didn't try to sell Denis and Samper was injured so including them in your post is strange. For Rafinha we will fetch at least 30 million and you can quote me on it. We could get close to 100 million for the 3 of Raki, Rafinha and Denis. Don't forget we could also have the odd 15-20m for Gomes. I think we can sell him for that. Anything extra and it almost covers their transfers which was exactly what I said.

You fail to grasp something important and that is, if they reach the semis, they would have had played some serious opposition and prevailed. Means they showed serious quality and 150 million for 2 players that perform at such a level, that can serve us for over 10 years is good fucking' value. I don't know what your're one about about "not great value" when the this sum will be amortized over the course of a decade.

Anyway, I wouldn't personally sell Vidal but if need be for extra funds we could consider doing it so you'd be left with the following midfield options: Coutinho, Arthur, Busi, De Jong, Roberto, Alena and whoever else from the B team gets matches here and there. That's a perfectly balanced midfield of experience and youth. But like I said, keep Vidal. Bare in mind that all of the above is assuming Valverde leaves at the end of the season and the board hires a coach that can and will develop our youth.

Btw, I would go all out for De Jong as there are way more promising CBs than CMs. If the sum reaches such a point that we can't compete for both, then forget De Ligt as there are players like Pavard, Upamecano, Tah that are young and good as well. Hell, there's also Alderwereld for a cheap short term fix if the funds are not there. It's not that bad, there are options, but we need a good fucking manager and not wallmart Mourinho. A manager that can implement a coherent system and make use of bench players without us dropping 2 or 3 levels.

Last edited:

Sorin

Problem is Raquel. He is as whipped as a man can be and she won't allow him moving outside Spain.

Raquel can suck a dick or we could tell to Rakitic to go and earn a hefty sum somewhere else or be a bench player that will only play here and there about 30 minutes. We need to be ruthless for a change. He's not Iniesta or Xavi that we should bend over for him and keep him until he wants.

Last edited:

Jombi

Wasn't PSG inquiring about Rakitic just this summer? What makes you think we can't get 50 million for him? Maybe that's not serious money but it's a good sum. We didn't try to sell Denis and Samper was injured so including them in your post is strange. For Rafinha we will fetch at least 30 million and you can quote me on it. We could get close to 100 million for the 3 of Raki, Rafinha and Denis. Don't forget we could also have the odd 15-20m for Gomes. I think we can sell him for that. Anything extra and it almost covers their transfers which was exactly what I said.

You fail to grasp something important and that is, if they reach the semis, they would have had played some serious opposition and prevailed. Means they showed serious quality and 150 million for 2 players that perform at such a level, that can serve us for over 10 years is good fucking' value. I don't know what your're one about about "not great value" when the this sum will be amortized over the course of a decade.

Anyway, I wouldn't personally sell Vidal but if need be for extra funds we could consider doing it so you'd be left with the following midfield options: Coutinho, Arthur, Busi, De Jong, Roberto, Alena and whoever else from the B team gets matches here and there. That's a perfectly balanced midfield of experience and youth. But like I said, keep Vidal. Bare in mind that all of the above is assuming Valverde leaves at the end of the season and the board hires a coach that can and will develop our youth.

Btw, I would go all out for De Jong as there are way more promising CBs than CMs. If the sum reaches such a point that we can't compete for both, then forget De Ligt as there are players like Pavard, Upamecano, Tah that are young and good as well. Hell, there's also Alderwereld for a cheap short term fix if the funds are not there. It's not that bad, there are options, but we need a good fucking manager and not wallmart Mourinho. A manager that can implement a coherent system and make use of bench players without us dropping 2 or 3 levels.

If they reach the semis, the sky is the limit in terms of their price. They should definitely be more than 75m in such an unlikely scenario. We would be involved in a massive bidding war with all the richest clubs in Europe and risk losing out on both. They'll get superstar prices. With the reinforcements we need, thats unfortunate.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans